Feeling doubtful...

Ilikekitties

Hi all. I have submitted 9/12 of my apps, mostly PhD programs in anthropology. I'm feeling very uneasy about it all and I have an overwhelming sense of dread that I won't get in anywhere. My worst fear is that I'll get 12 rejections and then I'll have to start the entire process over next near. What a waste of a small fortune!!!

I'm also going back over some of the essays that I've submitted, and there's always something. I could have been more detailed here or there, for example.

Any advice? Facing 12 rejections would kill my sense of self-worth and value.

Edited by LittleCritterB

You have to just let it go. Obsessing over getting in or getting 12 rejections will drive you crazy. I think we all wonder "omg suppose i paid all of this money for no acceptances" and it makes my stomach hurt too but I choose to think positive. I remind myself that I worked hard and I'm a good fit for that program. Or focus on other things that make you happy. the holidays are coming up and that's a great time to relax (for me). Also I meditate and do yoga. 

But you can't let the possibility (or even the reality) of being rejected kill your sense of self worth or value. Everyone is important, and if you don't get in then you take the time to refocus or reorganize and either try again or find another path to completing your goals. A lot of these rejections aren't even about US per se but sometimes other ppl are better fits or the school doesn't have enough funding. But you have to find other things to focus on during this time or it's going to be a long depressing road for you up until March/April. 

Hey! I think we talked on /r/gradadmission too! I totally get how it feels to be terrified of rejection and convincing yourself that you aren't worthy and won't get accepted anywhere. Take some time to really relax (especially because you've already finished most of your apps!) and reflect on how far you've come and all the great things you've done so far and how passionate you are about anthropology. I have confidence in you :) I'm sure in the next couple months you'll be posting here about your acceptances! What type of anthropology programs are you applying to? (bio, cultural, etc)

oooooh cool! environmental anthropology sounds really interesting... I interned at an environmental consulting company over the summer, but I mainly just messed around on ArcGIS and made project maps, so I didn't really get to do any real "environmental" stuff