Did you minor? Were you a NSSLHA officer?

jmk

Did you or are you planning to also minor in something? 

Were you actively involved with your NSSLHA chapter? Did you serve as an officer? 

Do you feel as though minoring or an active involvement in NSSLHA really highlighted or improved your application? 

(My small CD program has a very strong culture and overall push for minoring in Special Education, and being active with NSSLHA. As a commuter student, I recently expressed that I would be cutting back on my NSSLHA involvement, and not pursuing a minor due to schedule conflicts. I was met by negativity by my minor advisor, faculty advisor, and peers I asked for advice. I feel as though I am disappointing my advisor if I do not go the path she is advising (which involves the minor and NSSLHA). Meanwhile, I also want to do what is best for me and the best use of my time. Feeling a bit conflicted.) 

Edited by jmk

If everyone is doing the same thing, then no one in your class really stands out. I think it is important to be involved in something but it doesn't have to be the same thing everyone else is doing. I'm a member of NSSLHA but I've held positions in other student orgs. I think the leadership experience I got from those outweighs what I would've gotten out of holding positions in NSSLHA. If you have conflicting things that are a better use of your time, I would pursue those. 

I did very little with nsslha in undergrad. I wasn't an officer and only went to a few activities. I really don't think it's a huge contributing factor. I was in leadership for my college marching band and a supervisor at my job. The experience was great to mention even if the fields weren't related. 

As for the minor, I got two but they were really for my own benefit and choice  I got one in music because I'm a musician and it was easy. The other was editing which I considered as an alternate path had I not gotten in to grad school. It has helped my report writing but other than that a minor doesn't seem imperative to get into school. Maybe it'll help you look well rounded but at some point I think you just go with the experience you have. If it's stressing you out then it's probably not worth it. Spending your last month or two before apps are due cramming in a bunch of activities probably won't boost your app significantly. Especially because your SOP isn't a regurgitation of every item on your resume. Take the top things you've done and talk about what you learned and how that benefits you as a clinician  

I did not minor, but my university also tried to encourage us to minor in special education. That might have been because the sped program did not have many students. I heard contradictory things regarding a minor. Some teachers said it looked wonderful on an application and others said it would not make  difference. I do not personally believe it made a difference for myself.

I tried to be involved in NSSLHA. I would volunteer with other students every now and then, but I was not an officer. But it is great to have some sort of volunteering experience, but I felt like if its not an ongoing thing, its barely worth mentioning on an app. The officer at my own school actually did not get into the school's grad program, so its not a golden ticket by any means and I don't know if just being a member is that helpful.

I also commuted as an undergrad and I remember the sour looks when I would mention I would not be minoring. I honestly wouldn't sweat it. I barely mentioned volunteering on my SOP and don't remember if I mentioned NSSLHA, but only because I had a job with relevant experience. Some schools do take volunteering/leadership seriously. One app I saw wanted a list of all relevant volunteering experience. However, my work experience and work as a clinical aide on campus likely boosted my application.

Good-luck with applications! I'll be attending Nazareth College this Spring, let any of us know if you have questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Hmmm, I've heard the same about NSSLHA from a few advisors so I haven't been an active participant there, but I am in it. I am part of a research lab and do other activities on my own outside of school which, I believe, would show initiative and diversity. I am minoring in Linguistics, which may help as my man focus is Language Acquisition, but there is no definite yes or no in that regards.

I am in the application process now as well. We'll hope for the best! <3

As a second bachelor's distance learning student, I was not an officer in NSSHLA.  I had other volunteer experiences though, both in school and outside of school.  Also, I didn't minor, but my first bachelor's degree was in psychology.