GRE Wiggle Room

Cjachter

Hello everyone,

I received my GRE score and it was a total of 294 which I know isn't great, but the school I am looking into requires a 300. Do you think schools will have some wiggle room or should I retake the test. I am going in to higher education and ultimately student life. (activities council adviser or leadership/civic engagement). I have been highly active and held multiple positions and jobs in the field. Would these pull any weight as well? 

On December 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Cjachter said:

Hello everyone,

I received my GRE score and it was a total of 294 which I know isn't great, but the school I am looking into requires a 300. Do you think schools will have some wiggle room or should I retake the test. I am going in to higher education and ultimately student life. (activities council adviser or leadership/civic engagement). I have been highly active and held multiple positions and jobs in the field. Would these pull any weight as well? 

If they have a minimum cutoff, you won't be considered at all without meeting it. If it's just a recommended score, there may be wiggle room. Call the administrative office of the graduate school if you're not sure which is the case. 

If you don't meet the cutoff, your choices are to apply to other schools without cutoffs or give yourself time to retake it and apply next year. 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

I did not see any other admission deadlines to apply. I have been studying and will take the test in a couple of weeks from now. Hopefully the additional studying has paid off enough to get me into the program. If not I will be applying to the other schools with lower scores unfortunately. You guys are very helpful.