Fall 2016 Comparative Literature Applicants

On 2/29/2016 at 4:43 PM, maria1993427 said:

Anyone heard back from Upenn yet? There's an acceptance already on the board...

Lots of people have heard back for both acceptances and rejections. I, however, have yet to hear a peep! 

But as they held interview in February, I have written it off as an implied rejection...

On 2/3/2016 at 0:54 PM, Birdsong on the Radio said:

Lots of people have heard back for both acceptances and rejections. I, however, have yet to hear a peep! 

But as they held interview in February, I have written it off as an implied rejection...

I had an interview, but haven't heard anything yet either. Rejection?

12 hours ago, NNnantes said:

I had an interview, but haven't heard anything yet either. Rejection?

I got my admission email surprisingly only after 12hours. But I've heard stories of schools taking much longer... Hope you get in!

BTW, Has anyone heard back from LSU, FSU, or Purdue? Just want to get a good night sleep!

3 hours ago, WendyWonderland said:

Hi folks, anyone heard from UCLA?

I am on the edge of giving up on them.

I emailed them and got quick responses. " the committee will be releasing decisions on a rolling basis over the next few month". Good luck everyone.

Question: I was notified by email that I am on a waitlist at WUSTL in mid February and I replied to show my interest. When do you think is an appropriate time to email them again to tell them I'm still interested, or should I just not contact them at all? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, BellaBendrix said:

Question: I saw a few rejections from Duke Literature... I haven't heard from them at all. Should I take this as an implied rejection?

it could be that you're on an unofficial waitlist? i wanted to apply to duke too but didn't have enough time!

Hello everyone!
Quick question: Has anyone received an *actual* rejection from UMichigan yet? I haven't heard back from them, and I emailed the department but they never responded... So I have no idea if I've been waitlisted, rejected or what. Ugh.

Edited by gfm90

Still nothing from Notre Dame...I don't know whether I should contact the department  or  keep waiting. This already feels like a rejection...anyone in the same situation?

2 hours ago, Litfreak said:

Still nothing from Notre Dame...I don't know whether I should contact the department  or  keep waiting. This already feels like a rejection...anyone in the same situation?

I got my rejection a week ago. So maybe you're one of their final candidates!! I hope you get in :) it's a really beautiful campus. 

On 3/15/2016 at 2:40 PM, gfm90 said:

Hello everyone!
Quick question: Has anyone received an *actual* rejection from UMichigan yet? I haven't heard back from them, and I emailed the department but they never responded... So I have no idea if I've been waitlisted, rejected or what. Ugh.

I did! On February 8th.

On 3/9/2016 at 3:42 AM, WendyWonderland said:

I emailed them and got quick responses. " the committee will be releasing decisions on a rolling basis over the next few month". Good luck everyone.

Heard about rejection from POI.....

12 hours ago, WendyWonderland said:

Did you email him/her? I am not thrilled about not knowing for the next few months and quit waiting on UCLA. 

yes I did but for a visit since I was visiting LA. Oh well. I think they do in waves, I met a guy at another school and he had already gotten an offer from UCLA and there was someone else at gradcafe as well so. I just wanted to decide on a school and get done with it lol.

2 hours ago, KhiCompLit said:

yes I did but for a visit since I was visiting LA. Oh well. I think they do in waves, I met a guy at another school and he had already gotten an offer from UCLA and there was someone else at gradcafe as well so. I just wanted to decide on a school and get done with it lol.

Well what I think is, if they let me wait for that long, then I am not their first choice. I am pretty sure they do it in waives. It is almost end March, I don't get it how they can be that slow. 

On 2/23/2016 at 8:44 AM, delusional said:

Hello Everyone! I know I've asked this question before in this thread but I'm impatient enough to ask again hahaha :): Has anyone applied to/heard from SUNY Buffalo's Comparative Literature PhD program? I just can't wait anymoreeeeeee!!!! 

I received my acceptance March 17th.

I got rejected from 7 other programs, and I'm still waiting on UCLA and UCD.

Edited by Marshmlol

12 hours ago, Marshmlol said:

I received my acceptance March 17th.

I got rejected from 7 other programs, and I'm still waiting on UCLA and UCD.

Hi!!!I got accepted back in February and I'm still waiting to find out if I can get funding (hopefully yes, they said)! Did they offer you funding?

8 hours ago, delusional said:

Hi!!!I got accepted back in February and I'm still waiting to find out if I can get funding (hopefully yes, they said)! Did they offer you funding?

Nothing on funding was mentioned in my admissions letter. I e-mailed them on the 17th, and I'm hoping to hear back by this week.

Also, funding for me will be a bit tricky since I am an undocumented student.

Anyways, what did you put in your application when it was asked whether you'd be interested in attending the university without funding? I answered no.

Edited by Marshmlol

On 3/17/2016 at 11:28 PM, WendyWonderland said:

Did you email him/her? I am not thrilled about not knowing for the next few months and quit waiting on UCLA. 

They generally having problem with getting International Students because of funding

19 hours ago, KhiCompLit said:

They generally having problem with getting International Students because of funding

Just being curious: wouldn't the funding be the same for both international and domestic students? I am waiting on UCLA as well...

22 hours ago, mayxambition said:

Just being curious: wouldn't the funding be the same for both international and domestic students? I am waiting on UCLA as well...

I think UC's are supposed to give more preference to locals for admission and regarding funding due to some laws or something? Of course, once admitted, the funding will be the same. 

On March 23, 2016 at 0:42 AM, mayxambition said:

No, hell no. Sorry to break the bad news to you, but the tuition of international students are WAY higher than domestic students. For the UCs, if you are a Cali resident, it is around $5200 per quarter. Domestic students can apply to residency, however, international students are not allowed to.  If your are international, it's $5200 per quarter plus $16.000 international students' fee a year which can only be waived after you advance to candidacy. This means that admitting an international student would cost the school 16.000*4= $48.000 more than admitting a domestic student. Plus in some cases, English may not be your native language, and you may experience difficulties in teaching. I think private schools are easier because the tuition is the same in private schools.

Edited by WendyWonderland