Fall 2016 Comparative Literature Applicants

2 hours ago, Birdsong on the Radio said:

Well, I have yet to hear back from two schools, but I think this year it's rejection from all seven schools I applied to.

Currently I am not sure whether I will re-apply next year as I have a fall-back grad school plan in France set up.

It is kind of hard to let go of the dream though ! So I might re-apply. I think my main mistake was not sufficiently tailoring my SoPs to each school. I was kind of too "shy" to blatantly bring forth the names and research of professors. It was kind of hard to figure out (as an international student) what exactly is expected of the American SoP... And I don't think the subject of my writing sample necessarily showed me as the best fit.

Anyway I have learnt so much that I feel like I could definitely make a much better application. If anyone is in a similar situation (or has advice !) feel free to reach out :)

Hi! I'm also in France. What's your backup? Did you find a decent comparative literature program here? Because I've been looking around for the past two years, but haven't seen anything quite like the programs American universities offer. Where are you studying right now? I actually got into two programs so far, but I'm not sure the funding is going to be enough. Which are the two schools you haven't heard from yet? Message me if you want to talk more! :)

6 hours ago, Bryan_n said:

thanks for the heads up. I interviewed last week as well. Did you interview with Timothy Corrigan and Rita Barnard? If that's the case, it might just have been their turn to do interviews this year.

No actually I interviewed with Emily Wilson and Kevin Platt so it is actually personalized? Are you interested in working with any of the two professors from the interview?

19 hours ago, NNnantes said:

Hi! I'm also in France. What's your backup? Did you find a decent comparative literature program here? Because I've been looking around for the past two years, but haven't seen anything quite like the programs American universities offer. Where are you studying right now? I actually got into two programs so far, but I'm not sure the funding is going to be enough. Which are the two schools you haven't heard from yet? Message me if you want to talk more! :)

Sent you a pm :)

20 hours ago, HamidReza said:

I have the same situation. We may talk more, and if don't get the chance this year, we can create it next year, never give up on your dreams!

Thanks! Loving the positive attitude! It's hard when you are international and no one around you really understands the process

8 hours ago, HamidReza said:

Received an email from UPenn minutes ago, Rejected !

They still haven't contacted me. I sort of feel slighted! (look, I'm dealing with my grief through humour haha)

After me contacting schools, I got an email back today stating that "Our readers are still reviewing and preliminary decisions are still not settled." They also ask me to tell them if I have other offers. What is the politic of answering this email? 

does anyone know what's going on in ucla or cornell? I tried not to care about it too much cos there's not much i can do after all but still it bothers me! thanks.  

also is there anyone who comes from a different degree than literature here? I come from politics. 

1 hour ago, WendyWonderland said:

After me contacting schools, I got an email back today stating that "Our readers are still reviewing and preliminary decisions are still not settled." They also ask me to tell them if I have other offers. What is the politic of answering this email? 

"Thank you for the information! I currently have one offer, though I am waiting to hear back regarding funding. 

I look forward to hearing back from your program!

Thank you,

Name"

56 minutes ago, ProfLorax said:

"Thank you for the information! I currently have one offer, though I am waiting to hear back regarding funding. 

I look forward to hearing back from your program!

Thank you,

Name"

Thank you so much! I will do that!

3 hours ago, WendyWonderland said:

Thank you so much! I will do that!

If you don't mind me asking: which uni was it that you contacted?? I'm also still waiting for a few results, and it's horrible not knowing if it's an implied rejection or if they are still looking at the applications....

43 minutes ago, NNnantes said:

If you don't mind me asking: which uni was it that you contacted?? I'm also still waiting for a few results, and it's horrible not knowing if it's an implied rejection or if they are still looking at the applications....

Lol you already got in there:). Did you receive the email 3 weeks ago? I think my gre scores are too weak for fellowships. 

On 2/22/2016 at 9:22 PM, WendyWonderland said:

Woke up this morning with a rejection in my inbox from my Top 1 dream school. Since I was accepted at my top 2, I feel much more at ease now. As long as I can afford it ( it's killing me they won't tell me about funding)I don't really care about the other official nos/ waitlist/ acceptances anymore. It's time to live again after a whole month of depression. 

Goodluck! :)

16 hours ago, steve3020 said:

does anyone know what's going on in ucla or cornell? I tried not to care about it too much cos there's not much i can do after all but still it bothers me! thanks.  

also is there anyone who comes from a different degree than literature here? I come from politics. 

UCLA still reviewing, the decisioning process continues and you can expect to be contacted "throughout the next few months."  

2 hours ago, KhiCompLit said:

UCLA still reviewing, the decisioning process continues and you can expect to be contacted "throughout the next few months."  

Yep i got the same email when i contacted them and i thought she must have mistyped few months for few weeks but it seems she didn't lol. 

Hello Everyone! I know I've asked this question before in this thread but I'm impatient enough to ask again hahaha :): Has anyone applied to/heard from SUNY Buffalo's Comparative Literature PhD program? I just can't wait anymoreeeeeee!!!! 

Edited by delusional