Fall 2016 Comparative Literature Applicants

13 hours ago, WendyWonderland said:

I am the same with you. I have 14 to hear back from but I think most (all) of them would be rejections. Weeping. I would love to go to UCSB (top 3 choices) as long as it funds me. I am waiting for my chicken wings and pizza right now.  It is raining crazy in LA. As I said, I am totally in the stress eating phase now. 

I relate to the stress eating, but don't assume the worst yet. So much really comes down to the vagaries of fit--you can't predict how things are going to work out!

2 hours ago, steve3020 said:

got waitlisted at NYU and waiting to hear back from ucla and cornell (both complit), does anyone know if it's likely to get in off the waitlist at nyu? 

I think the best thing to do is ask the programs that waitlisted you about how their waitlists work and have worked in previous years. From what I know, this is considered perfectly acceptable as long as you do it politely. 

5 hours ago, Bryan_n said:

I got into UCSB last year but turned it down to do a research fellowship in Germany. Did you go to the recruitment weekend? The program made it seem like a super strenuous process getting funding green-lighted by the grad division but basically everyone's funding goes through. I wouldn't worry if you've already been interviewed and told you're in if funding is available.

Yes I do, it is in 2 weeks and I am super excited! Can you pm me more information about the funding? I am accepted to the German track. It is one of my top choices since I want to do research in Germany haha! I am very scared because my GRE verbal score sucks. I am an international student and I did not have time to study for it. It might influence my funding opportunities.:(

3 hours ago, Apocolocyntosis said:

I relate to the stress eating, but don't assume the worst yet. So much really comes down to the vagaries of fit--you can't predict how things are going to work out!

Thank you! Let us hope! Fingers crossed! It is so stressful I am soooooooooo behind my coursework! 

Someone just got into Princeton Comp. Lit. per the results board.

I'd sob and grumble but who can pretend to be entitled to acceptance to that program?

So far 3-4 implied rejections, but not a single *actual* rejection. Hrmph.

Edited by vertige

Hi there,

I'm glad I finally found a forum where I can talk to people with same interests :D

Guys I'm very disappointed right now! I've got rejected from Notre Dame and Miami-Ohio universities, although I knew Notre Dame won't be a good choice, But I really counted on Miami. There are 8 universities left, and I don't know whether I have any chance or not! Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Rochester, UFL, Arkansas, North Eastern, Upenn, and Washington- Seattle. What do you think? Is there any hope?

I have BA and MA in English Literature, with the TOEFL score of 93, and good GRE among Iranian applicants! I applied for PhD of Film studies.

Please help me !

On 2/18/2016 at 7:20 PM, Bryan_n said:

Hey did anyone else have UPENN interviews this week? Mine was brief and sweet. I'm wondering  what others' impressions were.

I am having my interview this afternoon... were you also interviewed by two professors? I just wonder if they assigned that randomly or on purpose coz I definitely got one of the professors that I would really like to work with on my interview.

2 minutes ago, WendyWonderland said:

Hey, anyone heard from CUNY? There is a rejection out there on the board. Btw, that person is accepted from Harvard, Princeton and Brown. Congrats! (And also hugs!)

I solicited a response yesterday, a week after my interview. I'm at the "very top" of their waitlist. Their initial offers have been sent (perhaps by postal service?).

Edited by getoutofmyhouse

3 minutes ago, getoutofmyhouse said:

I solicited a response yesterday, a week after my interview. I'm at the "very top" of their waitlist. Their initial offers have been sent (perhaps by postal service?).

Oh congrats! Even if it is waitlisted! Hope you get in! I just hope that they can tell me the results. I am just wondering about the rejections. Maybe ppl have called or emailed the department, which I have to do next week. 

57 minutes ago, HamidReza said:

I didn't receive any emails from Upenn, and I checked their portal and there is no change in my status! Am I rejected or something? people have been interviewed and I'm still waiting...

I just finished my interview today and they say that the result is coming out in two weeks.

5 hours ago, getoutofmyhouse said:

Congratulations!

On 19/2/2016 at 1:48 PM, HamidReza said:

Hi there,

I'm glad I finally found a forum where I can talk to people with same interests :D

Guys I'm very disappointed right now! I've got rejected from Notre Dame and Miami-Ohio universities, although I knew Notre Dame won't be a good choice, But I really counted on Miami. There are 8 universities left, and I don't know whether I have any chance or not! Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Rochester, UFL, Arkansas, North Eastern, Upenn, and Washington- Seattle. What do you think? Is there any hope?

I have BA and MA in English Literature, with the TOEFL score of 93, and good GRE among Iranian applicants! I applied for PhD of Film studies.

Please help me !

hi, sorry to bother

you applied for the Literature PhD at Notre Dame right? Did you get the chance to have an interview? I don't know my chances but I haven't hear back ever since I applied so...it looks bad...

1 hour ago, Litfreak said:

hi, sorry to bother

you applied for the Literature PhD at Notre Dame right? Did you get the chance to have an interview? I don't know my chances but I haven't hear back ever since I applied so...it looks bad...

Hi, 

yes I did, and I got rejected. I received an email. 

I have the same problem with uPenn, people are going through interviews, but I'm still in the dark!!!

32 minutes ago, HamidReza said:

Hi, 

yes I did, and I got rejected. I received an email. 

I have the same problem with uPenn, people are going through interviews, but I'm still in the dark!!!

was the interview with ND via Skype? The fact that they haven't even considered arranging an interview with me is devastating bleh

1 hour ago, Litfreak said:

was the interview with ND via Skype? The fact that they haven't even considered arranging an interview with me is devastating bleh

oh, sorry, I meant applying to Notre Dame by mentioning "I did" !

I didn't get an interview! I just received the email !

But apparently some have been interviewed ! I'm from a Muslim country, and I thought there is a very high probability that they reject me because of the university's religious affiliation. But I really felt down by receiving Miami's reject letter.