How strict are schools about the minimum admission requirement?

litzzie

Hi, everyone, 

I have applied to two PhD programmes in universities in BC, both in the Faculty of Education. I have found a prof in each programme who enthusiastically agreed to supervise me if I got admitted. Problem is my Masters grades weren't exactly great--their faculty's minimum is a B+, and I got a B due to chronic health issues. My undergraduate grades, however, were B+, but it's irrelevant now as I am not applying to a Masters programme. I have 13 years of teaching experience. 

My question is, should I assume that I wouldn't get in because I don't meet the minimum requirements, or should I not rule it out as the profs were so supportive and encouraging?

I have to ask because a job came up for my husband and he is very eager to apply, and the time to decide whether to apply is now. The job is in Europe and if he took it I wouldn't be able to start my PhD. He said he would prioritise my PhD so he kinda want an idea on how likely I would get in.

On a different but related note, when will I know the results?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Many BC schools will release PhD results on the same timeline as American schools, so around Feb-April 2016.

I think both you and your husband should apply to the PhD program and the job, respectively. Applying is not a commitment. If your husband gets a job offer before you hear back from the school, maybe he can ask for more time to decide. At the very least, it will give you a little bit more time to choose between one or the other.

Thanks, for your reply, Takeruk. The job that my husband is applying to requires him to commit by the end of January. Do you think I should at least try and ask by the end of January? Or it would be quite pointless anyway because if the decision isn't made it isn't made and no point asking?

Thanks again!

When is the deadline? I know many BC schools had deadlines of Jan 15 for my program, so Jan 31 would be far too early to ask. But your program is different than mine, so it's hard to tell!

With this info, I still would recommend that both of you apply to all opportunities presented to you at this point. There is nothing known for certain right now that means your husband will have to choose job or your PhD right now. One scenario I'm thinking of is that it would be better (in my opinion) for your husband to get the job and then choose not to take it, or not get the job and end up going with you to your PhD program than if your husband did not apply at all. 

It's pretty hard for anyone else to guess at your chances of admissions though. It certainly does not sound like you will be instantly rejected by your GPA because of the reception you've had so far. But if you are uncertain, I think it's fair for you to talk to the prof in each program and make sure they know about your GPA and ask them what they think your chances are because of your situation. 

Thanks, TakeruK, for your answer once again. Yes the deadline is not until Jan 15 but because I am applying as an international student I had to meet an earlier deadline and I submitted both of my applications before Dec 1. But yes when you put it this way end of Jan is definitely much too early. I will take your advice and email them again to ask them about my chance. 

Thank you so much!!!

Actually, litzzie, the end of January may not be too early! It's really department-specific though. There were several programs that I applied to by Dec 31/Jan 1 and to which I was admitted before the beginning of February. If you stand out as a top applicant, then they may offer you admission more quickly. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask since it's likely the committee would have met already.

Also... it might be too early to find out if you were accepted, but it may be early enough to know if you were rejected. Not that I think you would necessarily be, I'm just saying that the "reject" pile starts a lot earlier than the "definitely accept" pile is finished.