Clinical Neuropsychology 2016 Applications

Applicant38

I didn't see any threads for Clinical Neuropsychology applications so I figured I'd start one! I know there are only a handful of programs with specific tracks for NP but many more with NP faculty. This is kind of a specific subfield so I thought this would be an interesting thread.

I thought it might be helpful to know who gets invited to interviews and when! General Clinical NP discussion, chances, etc welcome as well. 

I'm applying to:

SDSU/UCSD JDP

Northwestern Feinberg 

UFlorida 

UIowa

WashU

UArizona

UTexas at Austin

UHouston

UGeorgia

Penn State 

DrexelU

Georgia State 

Hoping to get into one of the first two but I would be ecstatic about any acceptance!

Just waiting to hear back about interviews now!

Hi!

I'm a Neuropsych/Neuroimaging person applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs. I found it weird applying because there weren't so many programs with a NP minor or track that I thought were at "good" schools. I pretty much went off the DIV 40 website listings and applied:

Northwestern

UCSD/SDSU

Boston University (NP faculty, not track)

CUNY queens

Fordham

Yeshiva

Suffolk University

UConn

UMASS Amherst

U of Florida

I started apps at U of Utah and Washington state, but couldn't really find a faculty member that fit, so didn't complete.

I'll be interested to know who hears back and from what faculty!

Oh, and my undergrad GPA was bad, but above 3.0

MA GPA: 3.8

5 years full-time research experience, 2 publications 5 posters

GRE V167/Q155/AW4.5

Because of my undergrad GPA I don't expect to get in to many, or any, schools.

good luck to everyone!

Edited by didion10
spelling

24 minutes ago, didion10 said:

Hi!

I'm a Neuropsych/Neuroimaging person applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs. I found it weird applying because there weren't so many programs with a NP minor or track that I thought were at "good" schools.

I primarily applied for Ph.D Clinical Psychology programs that offered a Health Psychology track or specialization, but I was also looking at programs that offered training in Neuropsychology as well. Here are the schools that I applied for that offered reputable Neuropsychology training within their clinical psychology department:

- The University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB)

- Georgia State University

- Kent State University

- Wayne State University

Did you consider any of these programs as well? 

1 hour ago, didion10 said:

Hi!

I'm a Neuropsych/Neuroimaging person applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs. I found it weird applying because there weren't so many programs with a NP minor or track that I thought were at "good" schools. I pretty much went off the DIV 40 website listings and applied:

Northwestern

UCSD/SDSU

Boston University (NP faculty, not track)

CUNY queens

Fordham

Yeshiva

Suffolk University

UConn

UMASS Amherst

U of Florida

I started apps at U of Utah and Washington state, but couldn't really find a faculty member that fit, so didn't complete.

I'll be interested to know who hears back and from what faculty!

You're stats look great! I would be confident with that resume. Just for comparison I am about to graduate with my BS in Psych (neuroscience specialization) with a 3.93 GPA, 162V/154Q/4.5AW, 3.5 years research experience across three labs (one NP lab for 1.5 years), 5 poster presentations (including a national convention poster presentation ar APS) and an independent project (to be senior thesis) in a non-NP lab. I'm sure your MA helps quite a bit. 

I applied mostly to programs that have faculty with an aging/dementia/Alzheimer's focus. So NU Feinberg and SDSU/UCSD JDP are my top two. I just hope I can get into any program though because competition is so great! 

Edited by Applicant38
Omission

Hi everyone, glad to see this more specialized forum - I applied primarily to programs with a neuropsych concentration or faculty with a neurpsych focus (as well as imaging, normal and pathological aging, and degen. disease), so you will likely see overlap :

WashU in St Louis, UConn, BU, Texas A&M, Drexel, Northwestern, U of T Austin, Vanderbilt, U of Florida, Washington State, Fordham, U of Houston, U of Arizona and U of Utah 

Some info about me: about 5 years of research experience, undergrad at UMass Amherst in psych and neuroscience, masters at brandeis in research psych. I had a weak undergrad GPA ( hence graduate work), but my grad GPA is  a 3.9..and GRE scores leave much to be desired (157V/155Q/5A). No publications ( masters thesis and 2 manuscripts in prep), 5 posters, and I am currently in a research fellowship with the military. My background is in aging and memory with a focus in neuroimaging.

This has certainly been one of the more nerve wracking things I've done in a while. I've been eating my feels since Thanksgiving. Good luck to everyone.

On 12/15/2015 at 1:10 PM, JoePianist said:

I primarily applied for Ph.D Clinical Psychology programs that offered a Health Psychology track or specialization, but I was also looking at programs that offered training in Neuropsychology as well. Here are the schools that I applied for that offered reputable Neuropsychology training within their clinical psychology department:

- The University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB)

- Georgia State University

- Kent State University

- Wayne State University

Did you consider any of these programs as well? 

These are actually great suggestions, i'm kicking myself I didn't apply but I was super location focused at first. Ah well, you live and learn. Next time!

On 12/17/2015 at 0:14 PM, Timemachines said:

As a side note, will anyone be around/ attending the international  neuropsych, society conference? Its in Boston this year!

Yes, i'll be there presenting some neuroimaging data on autism :) see you there?

• 1 month later...

I applied for clinical neuropsych tracks at UH and URI - haven't heard from either of them, and with a plain clinical (Teacher's College - Columbia), I've been frankly dying inside because I'd really like to get on a neuro track without having to post-doc.  Interview requests went out over the past two weeks for the 2U's and I'm trying to stave off feeling like garbage.

I'm a 158V/150Q/4.0A with a 3.98 B.S. in education and 4.0 M.A. in school psychology. 3 published editorial/reviews, 2 pending manuscripts, 1 pending national poster, 1 national paper presentation (co), 2 state paper presentations (co), 2 years RA/TA, 1 pending personal research project, school psych internship with experience administering and writing psycho-ed evals with neuropsych assessments including the WRAML, NEPSY, and Stanford-Binet, cozy with CHC theory and acquainted with the Luria model, and have worked on textbook materials for cognitive assessment.

Obviously, my background is primarily in education and school psychology.

... Short of feasting on the brains of some practicing neuropsychologists in some sort of highlander-zombie bathsalts bad decision, I don't know what else I can do aside from take the blasted GREs again. And this is the point in my night where it's time to start mixing vodka and seltzer.

Good luck everyone, and may the odds be ever in your favor!