Part-time vs Full-time study

90sNickelodeon

Time  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of student are you?

• Part-time student
    • Full-time student

Grad school is tough.

You have to make straight A's in order to keep your awards/stay in the game.

You have to do loads of reading and writing, far more than as an undergraduate.

You have to network.

This requires a lot of time and effort. Is it reasonable to think that a person could receive the full benefit of graduate school as a part-time student?

Or, can only full-time students really enjoy and receive the full benefits of a graduate program.

Please explain why or why not.

Grad school is tough.

You have to make straight A's in order to keep your awards/stay in the game.

You have to do loads of reading and writing, far more than as an undergraduate.

You have to network.

This requires a lot of time and effort. Is it reasonable to think that a person could receive the full benefit of graduate school as a part-time student?

Or, can only full-time students really enjoy and receive the full benefits of a graduate program.

Please explain why or why not.

I think it depends on what degree/program you are enrolled in. For example, my mom got her master's in education as a part-time student--which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Part time MBA? Do-able.

On the other hand, a good friend of mine got a MS in Chemistry while working full time. He barely scraped through; I think his choice to go part-time was a serious mistake.

I have a friend who is getting a Ph.D. in umm....some sort of psychology (sorry, not too familiar with psych)...and is going part-time. She already had a MA so had only minimal coursework plus thesis. I guess it is working out ok for her but I don't know how much she's thriving as opposed to just surviving.

I think it depends on what degree/program you are enrolled in. For example, my mom got her master's in education as a part-time student--which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Part time MBA? Do-able.

On the other hand, a good friend of mine got a MS in Chemistry while working full time. He barely scraped through; I think his choice to go part-time was a serious mistake.

I have a friend who is getting a Ph.D. in umm....some sort of psychology (sorry, not too familiar with psych)...and is going part-time. She already had a MA so had only minimal coursework plus thesis. I guess it is working out ok for her but I don't know how much she's thriving as opposed to just surviving.

This is true. It does depend on the program. I'm reaally concerned about grades in grad school. Never had a problem with grades as an UG, but I realize that it is going to be significantly tougher and more competitive. The thought of working full time while earning a master's seems unfun but I might end up doing so out of financial advantage.

I'm reaally concerned about grades in grad school.

Don't be! They wouldn't let you in if they didn't think you could do the work, and in the long run grades are not as important as your actual research.

As far as full time vs. part time goes, I've seen some really compelling stats (although I can't remember where for the life of me) showing that part time students have much lower completion rates. I know that at my school, the funding goes to full time students. The federal grants that we apply for are also for full timers only. I think part time study makes sense if you're doing a professional master's and have serious work or family commitments. Otherwise, you're more likely to be well funded and finish in a timely manner as a full time student.

As far as full time vs. part time goes, I've seen some really compelling stats (although I can't remember where for the life of me) showing that part time students have much lower completion rates.

Aint that the truth. I tried PT grad school with a FT job. While I got good grades and my employer was cool with my education intentions (which would mean I would leave once I got my degree), it was relationship issues and the fact my university offered half of the pre-req courses during the day, meaning night classes I could take were off limits that led to my departure. Add to the fact there was no funding other than my AMericorps grant and my mediocre job, I couldnt continue anyway. The other thing I wasnt getting from a part time program were the connections to jobs and people in the field. I didnt know it at the time but those FT students were getting those connections needed to get a job in the field, something I wasnt. Those part time students were already IN the field and didnt care. Im NOT making that mistake again. It's FT for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in grad school part time not because of not wanting to go full time but because this is how this particular program is designed. My previous grad program I was full time, however. I can definitely say it's more frustrating than anything being in a part time program despite how good the program is. I guess I am just ready to get done and start my career.