Best States to Live in After Graduate School?

xXIDaShizIXx

34 minutes ago, avflinsch said:

The best place to live is wherever the jobs are.

That being said, I really loved living in Boston many years ago, before returning to academia.

Fair enough. I just meant, say you were able to find several places which place would be the best in terms of the friendliness of the people? I know that can be a relative topic to the person answering, but still worth getting some perspective on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016 at 7:05 PM, artsy16 said:

My goal is Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Durham/Raleigh, Columbia (SC). I prefer racially diverse southern cities :) 

I completely agree. Hoping to get back that way eventually! :)

I'd stay away from Louisiana. The food is great but that's about it. Politics, weather, and people are all over the place. Fun for a visit but that's about it.

Lived here all my life, ready to escape..I mean move away.

On 1/8/2016 at 2:45 AM, queerpsych2013 said:

I'd stay away from Louisiana. The food is great but that's about it. Politics, weather, and people are all over the place. Fun for a visit but that's about it.

Lived here all my life, ready to escape..I mean move away.

I heard a lot of strange things about Louisiana. Like the danger of driving alone at midnight.

On 1/9/2016 at 9:15 AM, Yav Friendly said:

I heard a lot of strange things about Louisiana. Like the danger of driving alone at midnight.

I've never really had an issue with that. I've done a lot of driving alone late at night in both Southern and Northern LA since I started driving. I'm cautious but I wouldn't consider it dangerous. 

39 minutes ago, queerpsych2013 said:

I've never really had an issue with that. I've done a lot of driving alone late at night in both Southern and Northern LA since I started driving. I'm cautious but I wouldn't consider it dangerous. 

I red that on reddit. Some wild story... 

34 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

I red that on reddit. Some wild story... 

I'm sure things happen, as they do everywhere. I'm just saying I've never had personal experience with that or heard of that happening to anyone I know.

My perfect location is near/in the mountains, mild in temperature, decent cost of living and relatively close to a smallish city for work. But that sounds tooo perfect. I know the jobs I want to get after grad school I can't be too picky. I know the furthest southeast I can go is South Carolina. I can't deal with heat and humidity at the same time. I also have to take in account my boyfriend's feelings as well.