NY/NJ Fall 2016

The competition is unreal. I'm applying to the schools listed in my signature for the third time with the exception of Queens. I know Queens College is very competitive,  but I must try. I am limited do to other obligations and can't leave NY. I went back an got my B.A. in SLP. I brought my GPA from a 3.38 to a solid 3.5. I hope this helps.

I'm an older student.

Edited by Arcanelady27
Typo

I'm only applying to one school in the NY/NJ area because I was told how competitive it is.  There are a few good programs in my home state, but alas, it is just as competitive, if not more since they favor their own undergraduates.  Does NY/NJ school have a similar reputation?  

I already submitted my applications, so I'm just sitting here doing the waiting game while continuing to work on my volunteer hours.  

Coping mechanisms?  When I'm not at work or volunteering, I like to write or play video games.   

On 1/2/2016 at 5:55 PM, copaceticbroad said:

Have you considered any of the private schools? I think they have acceptance rates in the double digits.

Due to going to a private school for undergrad and for my first Masters, I simply cannot afford private again. 

On 1/4/2016 at 3:49 PM, rainsonata said:

I'm only applying to one school in the NY/NJ area because I was told how competitive it is.  There are a few good programs in my home state, but alas, it is just as competitive, if not more since they favor their own undergraduates.  Does NY/NJ school have a similar reputation?  

I don't think the schools here are known for favoring their undergrads. I think it's just super competitive because it's a big market and attractive to people from other places. (And also, the CUNYs are one of the best financial deals in the country, from what I understand.)

• 1 month later...

Thought we should revive this forum. Anyone getting any response from NY schools yet? I'm hearing Queens, and Molloy have began contacting people. I am becoming anxious, checking my portal, email, and the gradcafe whenever i find a spare moment.

27 minutes ago, np22 said:

Thought we should revive this forum. Anyone getting any response from NY schools yet? I'm hearing Queens, and Molloy have began contacting people. I am becoming anxious, checking my portal, email, and the gradcafe whenever i find a spare moment.

I had an interview w cw post...and I saw someone post about st.johns- but it was only 1 person so I'm not sure how valid it is! I check my email ALL THE TIME- it's horrible haha 

Hey all - long time lurker, new poster here. I'm applying to a bunch of NY schools this cycle. I was accepted to St. John's on Feb 9th via email and I received my official acceptance letter in the mail this past Saturday. If it helps, I think they may be reviewing in order - I submitted my app around Christmas when they had their fee waiver offer up. I also recieved an interview from LIU Post, but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to in the area. The waiting game is horrible, haha. 

I'm applying to the NY/NJ schools listed in my signature. Of these, I've only heard from SUNY Buffalo so far. 

Is anyone else still getting emails from Montclair about their open house / tuition fee waiver deal? I swear I get one almost every week. It's terrible because my heart jumps whenever I see the address, but then it's just this silly open house email again. :(

1 hour ago, xrockislove said:

Hey all - long time lurker, new poster here. I'm applying to a bunch of NY schools this cycle. I was accepted to St. John's on Feb 9th via email and I received my official acceptance letter in the mail this past Saturday. If it helps, I think they may be reviewing in order - I submitted my app around Christmas when they had their fee waiver offer up. I also recieved an interview from LIU Post, but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to in the area. The waiting game is horrible, haha. 

I also applied to SJU with the fee waiver before Christmas. I hope this doesn't mean a potential rejection. I suppose its still early, however my anxiousness is getting the best of me! Lol so far my only contact has been with LIU Post. 

3 hours ago, MrsH said:

@flapjackal I applied to Montclair but am not getting any emails about an open house/tuition waiver deal? I did however see my application was modified on Feb. 18 so don't know what that means! 

Mine was also modified on the 18th! I wonder if everyone's was or if it means something special. It's honestly a guessing game at this point :rolleyes:

I really thought it would be Friday! I've tried logging into the application portal twice this weekend and both times have been told that it's undergoing updates or something. I take this to mean that some decisions/statuses are being changed. I hope, anyway.

19 hours ago, copaceticbroad said:

I really thought it would be Friday! I've tried logging into the application portal twice this weekend and both times have been told that it's undergoing updates or something. I take this to mean that some decisions/statuses are being changed. I hope, anyway.

NYU just notified via email!