Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

24 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Sorry to change the topic slightly, but the results board seems awful quiet today. :wacko:

VERY.

I will hope that the first week of Feb is a very fruitful one for all of us. In the meantime, I'm going to celebrate Carnavale far in advance (or drown my app problems) because the  Latin rum bar by my job has started specials this week all the way through the 9th!

Also important to remember, while a GRE score may be "only" 18th/35th percent (or whatever) that this is a test taken by people who are intelligent. People who KNOW they want to continue to further their education. In other words a very small percentage of people. "Even" just scoring in the 18th percentile means you are 18% above other people who are just as motivated, driven and smart. One could argue 18% is pretty damn good when we are talking about "the best of the best". :) 

2 hours ago, goofylemon said:

I can tell 148/143 will never get into UW unless the applicant's parent is donating a library to the school. That should be a trolling post.

This is not being harsh, but I don't really believe an applicant shines elsewhere can score that low in GRE.

Edit:  A Math 143 is 18% percentile. A Verbal 148 is ~35% percentile. Both of the percentiles run far below the average. I know some sociology candidates score low on Math, which may be fine. However, low scores on both sections will never survive in any program with healthy reputation. The math is especially problematic, because UW is considered one of the most quantitative-leaned programs across the country.

I don't think this should sound sting or inconsiderable to anyone. So far no one in this thread run 18/35 on GRE, and claim to applying Soc PhD.  One should note out of fairness, a person with that kind of promise entering a highly-ranked program like UW is, in fact, truly devastating to many better-deserved applicants. 

Even some test takers are not good at standardized tests or multiple choice, the percentiles combined are still too significant as an evidence of ineligibility to be admitted to UW. Well, I think I may receive many downs for this answer, but this is just to be honest. 

I was given an offer at UCLA and I have a 149 q and 155 v. Do with that information what you will..

27 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

I was given an offer at UCLA and I have a 149 q and 155 v. Do with that information what you will..

I think what goofylemon means is that it is very unlikely a 148/143 can get into a top program. Thats why he/she called it troll.  I think we all basically agree that it's true,  and no one is saying that exceptions are not allowed. We all heard stories of depts jumping thru the hoops to get someone with abysmal gre scores but exceptional qualities in. But that just doesnt happen everyday. Lets agree to that.

At the end of the day, scores are scores. There really are no rules in grad sch apps, meaning even if u hv the perfect stats it doesnt guarantee admission;  at the same time there ARE rules, if not who wud bother preparing for the GRE? I myself believe the test is a poor indicator of abilities,  but fact is it is required and it matters. Goofy was pointing out a fact and i truly dun get the reactions. Chill, u guys. 

Edited by redhillgirl

56 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Ok fine. I am getting quite serious here. 155 V is 70% percentile and 149 Q is around median. That is fine. Run a propensity score matching and see how likely 70/50 will end up similar with 30/18. These are statistically significant. I think here people are getting sort of a "politically correct" way to bash GRE system and those who believe GRE somewhat prove (at least) some promise of a candidate.

I will say while test score is just one very small part of application and may well likely to be biased. Test taking skills are important and do matter. While publication and job talks have nothing to do with GRE, it still followed this same logic. Will you succeed in an exam, albeit awkward, that played an important role in your admissions? No one here saying those who get 170/170 are necessarily stronger as a candidate to any grad program. As I think @redhillgirl must be stronger in other aspects than I do to get into Wisconsin( where I got rejected). However, I definitely question a 35/18 GRE. With very few exceptions, a person with experience reading social science article should naturally score 50+ on verbal without preparing for the exam. A person taking basic multivariate regression should naturally score 50+ on Q without preparing. Isn't that right?!

i am not saying test scores are equivalent to talent and sociological promise. I do insist that a person with that kind of GRE will typically become unsuccessful in graduate school and therefore extremely unlikely to be offered admission. Especially, when the offer is coming from a quantitative program (UW), and to a candidate with abysmal Math score.

If someone here is that UW accepted guy/gal with that score, admitted, without other special situations. PM me. I apologize to you publicly on this forum.

29 minutes ago, redhillgirl said:

I think what goofylemon means is that it is very unlikely a 148/143 can get into a top program. Thats why he/she called it troll.  I think we all basically agree that it's true,  and no one is saying that exceptions are not allowed. We all heard stories of depts jumping thru the hoops to get someone with abysmal gre scores but exceptional qualities in. But that just doesnt happen everyday. Lets agree to that.

At the end of the day, scores are scores. There really are no rules in grad sch apps, meaning even if u hv the perfect stats it doesnt guarantee admission;  at the same time there ARE rules, if not who wud bother preparing for the GRE? I myself believe the test is a poor indicator of abilities,  but fact is it is required and it matters. Goofy was pointing out a fact and i truly dun get the reactions. Chill, u guys. 

Thank you.

Edited by goofylemon

30 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Ok fine. I am getting quite serious here. 155 V is 70% percentile and 149 Q is around median. That is fine. Run a propensity score matching and see how likely 70/50 will end up similar with 30/18. These are statistically significant. I think here people are getting sort of a "politically correct" way to bash GRE system and those who believe GRE somewhat prove (at least) some promise of a candidate.

Agreed. Maybe I'm biased coming from law school (where LSAT ruled over everything and my 170 was considered inferior by classmates) and business school (where the GMAT wasn't god like the lsat but definitely mattered), but can we not pretend like the GRE means *nothing*? You should be able to break 25th percentile if you want to study at like a top 5 program in the country. This isn't evil to say.

2 minutes ago, BoomSoon said:

Yay congratulations you two! Kat especially, you are on a roll!

I will claim a 3rd Washington admit! This was a great fit and high on my list! I am so excited!

BoomSoon congratulations!!! Nothing like a Friday evening acceptance! 

Curious to know if professors are reaching out to any admits? A professor or two reached out to me when I was applying for Masters but none so far for the PhD admission period, though I would have expected it more this time since the professor-student relationship is more personalized in the PhD program.

10 minutes ago, BoomSoon said:

Yay congratulations you two! Kat especially, you are on a roll!

I will claim a 3rd Washington admit! This was a great fit and high on my list! I am so excited!

Congrats to you too!!

I'm hoping I haven't used up all my luck :)

I am so excited to check out Seattle (and the program of course)!

58 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Congrats to you too!!

I'm hoping I haven't used up all my luck :)

I am so excited to check out Seattle (and the program of course)!

Yes, my wife is very excited about the idea of living in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Shamon said:

Curious to know if professors are reaching out to any admits? A professor or two reached out to me when I was applying for Masters but none so far for the PhD admission period, though I would have expected it more this time since the professor-student relationship is more personalized in the PhD program.

Not yet. Although the Washington email did say that I would be contacted by additional faculty, including faculty related to my research interests.

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

BoomSoon congratulations!!! Nothing like a Friday evening acceptance! 

It is the perfect time to celebrate!

Edited by BoomSoon

20 hours ago, ConsciousSteph said:

Wonder if I we will hear anything from our schools today? Thoughts? @Shay825

Very jealous of @goofylemon . Pretty awesome to hear so early from a school like Brown. Congrats again!

The earliest I'm expecting to hear from any of those I applied to is late next week- possibly Vandy and Northeastern. The others typically send admits during the second or third week of February.

Think I'm actually worrying myself sick. I haven't been able to hold down food for almost two days- and I had my flu shot this season. Miserable with the anticipation of accepts/rejects.