Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

On February 1, 2016 at 5:30 PM, goofylemon said:

Don't really want to disrupt the peace here, but Penn is sending out some interviews.

***Update: Based on the statistics, this week we have less decisions coming out compared to last two weeks and the next two weeks. Maybe I am biased based on the programs I am applying to. ***

Were you contacted for an interview? Who would we be speaking with? :o

3 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

whered u see that? the one on the survey page says it happened January 1th

I was told by my friend who are not using GradCafe, today. He told me Penn is sending out a few interviews. Maybe it is just one or two faculty members. I have not heard from any faculty either. Don't be nervous.

Interestingly, now I realized I should have applied to Penn Demography instead of Penn Sociology, though.

Edited by goofylemon

16 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Don't really want to disrupt the peace here, but Penn is sending out some interviews.

***Update: Based on the statistics, this week we have less decisions coming out compared to last two weeks and the next two weeks. Maybe I am biased based on the programs I am applying to. ***

I'm sorry but do you mean UPenn or Penn State? Thanks :)

minutes ago, jc2404 said:

I'm sorry but do you mean UPenn or Penn State? Thanks :)

Penn almost exclusively means University of Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania State University is most commonly abbreviated as PSU, Penn State, or just the State (if you live in Pennsylvania).

Edited by goofylemon

Just now, goofylemon said:

Pennsylvania State University is most commonly abbreviated as PSU, Penn State, or just the State (if you live in Pennsylvania).

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not from the US! 

24 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Hey goofy, just a quick question for you - did you do your undergraduate or MA at a top 20 school?

50 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Yes. I have to say @spicytunaroll your name is making me hungry.

Seconded. Also, @goofylemon when we post right after each other I imagine our cat pictures are having some sort of epic stare down.

Congrats on today's acceptances! I know we've heard about Berkeley's adcom, but is there any word on Princeton?

21 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Seconded. Also, @goofylemon when we post right after each other I imagine our cat pictures are having some sort of epic stare down.

Congrats on today's acceptances! I know we've heard about Berkeley's adcom, but is there any word on Princeton?

Themes of Soc forum grad cafe users: usernames are delicious foods, user pics are of intimidating-looking kitties and goofy pups! 

BTW, spicy tuna rolls are the best! My favorite sushi 

3 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Themes of Soc forum grad cafe users: usernames are delicious foods, user pics are of intimidating-looking kitties and goofy pups! 

Grats to the acceptances today! I haven't been obsessing over hearing from schools quite as much after the rejection-fest I got during the last two days of last week... plus my grandma died yesterday. Suxor.

And did someone say pictures of goofy pups? Where???  ;)

28 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Grats to the acceptances today! I haven't been obsessing over hearing from schools quite as much after the rejection-fest I got during the last two days of last week... plus my grandma died yesterday. Suxor.

Relax and just bring the tacos to Providence. I have never been to Texas. =w= Sorry to hear about your grandma, ***hugs**

33 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Cucumber shrimp sushi, which is called "Boston Roll??" is my favorite. Now my favorite dish has already revealed I will stay in New England forever.

56 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Hmmm... The background picture (not my avatar) cat is even more unfriendly. Looks like hunting down foods. I have not heard anything from Prince, so ... pray for me.

Edited by goofylemon

Thank you, @ConsciousSteph! I hope your interview goes well! 

@HopefulSocPhD

Thank you! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma... That's so awful :-( *offers you some tea and a hug* I'm here if you need to talk! 

@goofylemonmmm that sushi also sounds delicious! 

Edited by gingin6789

1 hour ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

So sorry to hear about your gram. Hope that you soon get some acceptances and other good things to lift your spirits.

1 hour ago, goofylemon said:

Relax and just bring the tacos to Providence. I have never been to Texas. =w= Sorry to hear about your grandma, ***hugs**

Cucumber shrimp sushi, which is called "Boston Roll??" is my favorite. Now my favorite dish has already revealed I will stay in New England forever.

Hmmm... The background picture (not my avatar) cat is even more unfriendly. Looks like hunting down foods. I have not heard anything from Prince, so ... pray for me.

Since you'll be kicking it in Providence....mind sending the rest of us each a sack of Iggy's doughboys? Pretty pretty pleeeeasse.

@goofylemon, what makes you say that you should have applied to Penn Demography instead? I'm also interested in some demography programs, so I'd appreciate your thought on this. Thanks :) 

4 hours ago, goofylemon said:

was told by my friend who are not using GradCafe, today. He told me Penn is sending out a few interviews. Maybe it is just one or two faculty members. I have not heard from any faculty either. Don't be nervous.

Interestingly, now I realized I should have applied to Penn Demography instead of Penn Sociology, though.

1 hour ago, Shay825 said:

Since you'll be kicking it in Providence....mind sending the rest of us each a sack of Iggy's doughboys? Pretty pretty pleeeeasse.

Iggy's doughboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwwww I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve it! Definitely! Actually, that's the place to roll in when the "GradCafe New England" cohort meets together!

If there is anything I have to mention about Narragansett (sorry for my bad spelling), nothing can really beat the lobster roll and fried clams there!! 

@Shay825       Looks like all your schools are no more than 100 miles of radius range to Boston except Vandy and Philly (with slightly more than 100 mi). 

45 minutes ago, SincerelyI said:

@goofylemon, what makes you say that you should have applied to Penn Demography instead? I'm also interested in some demography programs, so I'd appreciate your thought on this. Thanks :) 

Hah, I said this only because I realized Penn's PRC (Population research center ?? again I am terrible of memorizing names) also trained its own students post to the fact that I have already submitted my application. I am applying to Penn really just because they got good demographers there. Their criminology looks good, but it is also a separate department. They have family faculty, but not seems doing marriage work that made me feel too exciting.

8 hours ago, goofylemon said:

Iggy's doughboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwwww I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve it! Definitely! Actually, that's the place to roll in when the "GradCafe New England" cohort meets together!

If there is anything I have to mention about Narragansett (sorry for my bad spelling), nothing can really beat the lobster roll and fried clams there!! 

@Shay825       Looks like all your schools are no more than 100 miles of radius range to Boston except Vandy and Philly (with slightly more than 100 mi). 

Yes, I live in Boston. I love New England and don't really want to move, so hoping a local school will accept me.

I go to RI fairly often to visit family there, so count me in for that GradCafe Cohort meeting. I've never tried Iggy's fried clams- new item on my foodie bucket list!

Hey, NC State admits... I *won't* be at the recruitment visit... It is on the same weekend as ESS in Boston, and I'm presenting at the conference, so I have to be there! The recruitment visit sounded like soooo much fun, but I'll be going down to visit campus perhaps the next weekend. The admissions chair was flexible and understanding about my situation! Very thankful for that. 

1 hour ago, Shay825 said:

Yes, I live in Boston. I love New England and don't really want to move, so hoping a local school will accept me.

I go to RI fairly often to visit family there, so count me in for that GradCafe Cohort meeting. I've never tried Iggy's fried clams- new item on my foodie bucket list!

I have only went RI a few times before so I will rely on you for a tour :)

Bonus: Claim a Maryland acceptance despite I sent an email to withdraw my apps because I will definitely not considering. I turned down that offer right away though so hopefully it helps those on the waitlist.

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Hey, NC State admits... I *won't* be at the recruitment visit... It is on the same weekend as ESS in Boston, and I'm presenting at the conference, so I have to be there! The recruitment visit sounded like soooo much fun, but I'll be going down to visit campus perhaps the next weekend. The admissions chair was flexible and understanding about my situation! Very thankful for that. 

I'm going to ESS, but probably just the weekend dates. What day are you presenting?

Edited by Shay825

3 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

I'm going to ESS, but probably just the weekend dates. What day are you presenting?

Awesome! I'm presenting Thursday at noon, but I'll be there the entire conference. How about you?

17 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Awesome! I'm presenting Thursday at noon, but I'll be there the entire conference. How about you?

I'm not presenting. Just going for the sake of education. :)