Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

1 hour ago, goofylemon said:

Congrats! @spicytunaroll. Now it is the time to compete with California roll. I am claiming a Yale interview too. [Edit: thanks to @HopefulSocPhD, this should not be understood as interview. I was reached by my POI "discussing my research interests". I see this as a super positive sign, but no it is not a formal department interview.]

PhD application is really like mystery. At the beginning I was rejected by three schools in a row: UT Austin Wisc UNC (actually not rejected by UNC, I just received no info), I was devastated and thought "hell no, I will be roundly rejected". Now it comes to my six offers streak (and from even more competitive programs). Who knows what the heck happened.

Never lose hope, gals and guys.

Thank you folks!

First thing I will do when I arrive at Berkeley = find a place where I can get some good spicy tuna rolls. I'll be there a lot in the next few years.

So it sounds like Berkeley acceptances probably did go out yesterday. There are three on the board from yesterday, and last year only three total acceptances were posted. Do we think more might be going out or rejections should arrive soon? 

2 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

So it sounds like Berkeley acceptances probably did go out yesterday. There are three on the board from yesterday, and last year only three total acceptances were posted. Do we think more might be going out or rejections should arrive soon? 

As a fellow Berkeley applicant, I'm thinking the news is likely grim.

But the best cure for bad news is good news, so onward to the next :)

3 hours ago, goofylemon said:

Congrats! @spicytunaroll. Now it is the time to compete with California roll. I am claiming a Yale interview too. [Edit: thanks to @HopefulSocPhD, this should not be understood as interview. I was reached by my POI "discussing my research interests". I see this as a super positive sign, but no it is not a formal department interview.]

PhD application is really like mystery. At the beginning I was rejected by three schools in a row: UT Austin Wisc UNC (actually not rejected by UNC, I just received no info), I was devastated and thought "hell no, I will be roundly rejected". Now it comes to my six offers streak (and from even more competitive programs). Who knows what the heck happened.

Never lose hope, gals and guys.

Ahhhh as a Yale applicant I am super jealous! Let us know how it goes!

There could still be acceptances coming, I think.  Given that at least some of them have been done by phone, it might take them longer than just emailing acceptances. And the Berkeley cohort is quite sizable, so I would expect more than three gradcafe posts.

Or this could just be wishful thinking. :P I'm almost certain I'd take Stanford over Berkeley anyway, but I'm still so anxious to hear!

2 hours ago, ConsciousKid said:

Waitlisted at BC.    :/

I haven't heard anything from BC yet and no update on my app status. Worried because they only just received my GRE scores last week.

3 hours ago, ConsciousKid said:

Congrats @goofylemon ! That is definitely a great sign. I too am waiting to hear from Yale. I was wait listed last year, but to be honest that means nothing. It is a long shot, but I am hopeful!

Anyone apply to their a combined PhD at Yale? I applied to the combined African-American Studies & Sociology, PhD.

Not interested in race/ethnicity at all. So I am just applying to Soc program.

1 hour ago, nowayjose said:

Ahhhh as a Yale applicant I am super jealous! Let us know how it goes!

I will report! :) 

2 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

Thank you folks!

First thing I will do when I arrive at Berkeley = find a place where I can get some good spicy tuna rolls. I'll be there a lot in the next few years.

Good for you! Try some scallion crabs in Chinatown.

@Shamon and other UW Madison folks: I sent a quick email to the Graduate Admissions Coordinator (Ms. Justice) asking about funding information.  She confirmed that funding information will be sent out with the physical letters. She also indicated that physical letters should be expected by the end of next week, but will likely arrive before then.

Seems like a slow day otherwise. Hope ya'll are keeping a firm grip on your sanity!

4 minutes ago, gordyn said:

@Shamon and other UW Madison folks: I sent a quick email to the Graduate Admissions Coordinator (Ms. Justice) asking about funding information.  She confirmed that funding information will be sent out with the physical letters. She also indicated that physical letters should be expected by the end of next week, but will likely arrive before then.

Seems like a slow day otherwise. Hope ya'll are keeping a firm grip on your sanity!

No sanity to speak of, but thanks for doing that! Here's to hoping we're all in for good funding!

9 minutes ago, gordyn said:

One more very important piece of information from Ms. Justice for UW applicants:  It appears that those with Gmail addresses who have not added her emails (gradinfo@ssc.wisc.edu & ajustice@ssc.wisc.edu) to their whitelist are not receiving the admissions decision email. If you decision has been made, it has been posted to your my.wisc.edu account.

Here is some info on whitelisting on Gmail: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/9008?hl=en

That all said, you should receive a physical letter shortly with your decision anyway. For those of you who haven't heard back yet, hopefully this will alleviate some stress :).

2 hours ago, Shay825 said:

I haven't heard anything from BC yet and no update on my app status. Worried because they only just received my GRE scores last week.

@Shay825 I wouldn't sweat it. It seems like they haven't contacted those who've been accepted yet (I am only going off the results board). So there is still a good chance! Don't lose hope!

Also, have you called the dept. to check on the status of your GRE scores?

I am pretty sure most schools get them electronically, so even though they say "it takes blah blah blah," often the have it there. They just need to look into their system.

I am sure you will be receiving positive news soon! :)

Just now, gordyn said:

Just received my Berkeley rejection... can't afford to live in the bay area anyway ;). Happy to have the closure!

Sorry to hear about that =( and I'm here with hugs and tea for the other folks who got turned down by Berkeley, too! 

I know I was relieved to have closure from Emory, too!

I did see a Princeton admit on the board, by the way. I know a bunch of folks are waiting for news from Princeton!

2 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Sorry to hear about that =( and I'm here with hugs and tea for the other folks who got turned down by Berkeley, too! 

I know I was relieved to have closure from Emory, too!

I did see a Princeton admit on the board, by the way. I know a bunch of folks are waiting for news from Princeton!

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

5 minutes ago, oedipus said:

ugh let the rejection avalanche begin

7 minutes ago, macadamia tea said:

Berkeley rejection... 100% expected, but without an offer in hand yet it's not a great feeling. Hope the east coast likes me better.

I'm sure my Berkeley rejection is not far behind. I feel ya  @macadamia tea, I really do.

3 minutes ago, krispykreme said:

synchronized Berkeley and UCLA rejections for me! expected

That is horrible... I'm so sorry to hear that.

You've got me worried now too....  Won't be able to stop checking my inbox for the rest of the day...