Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Claiming a rejection from UM Ann Arbor -- a little surprised I was accepted at UW Madison and rejected at UM Ann Arbor.. oh well!

The rejection email went into the "Promotions" tab of my gmail (9:27am PST) -- so I didn't actually get a notification on my phone or anything.

So glad I got an acceptance before this flood of rejections -_-.

Just now, gordyn said:

Claiming a rejection from UM Ann Arbor -- a little surprised I was accepted at UW Madison and rejected at UM Ann Arbor.. oh well!

The rejection email went into the "Promotions" tab of my gmail (9:27am PST) -- so I didn't actually get a notification on my phone or anything.

*pats on the back reassuringly* Sorry to hear this, gordyn. I'm so glad you got a UW acceptance before this! 

My rejection from Emory went to the Updates tab of Gmail ... so I didn't get a notification either that day!

15 minutes ago, gordyn said:

Out of curiosity, when you say you're interested in virtual communities in your sig, what do you have in mind? Like internet board communities (like this), or like online gaming communities?

11 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

*pats on the back reassuringly* Sorry to hear this, gordyn. I'm so glad you got a UW acceptance before this! 

My rejection from Emory went to the Updates tab of Gmail ... so I didn't get a notification either that day!

Thanks! I think it is probably a "fit" thing -- UM doesn't have a specific focus with a crossover between emerging technologies and social theory like UW does. Thinking back to the sticky'd AMA -- it seems like fit really is a very major consideration for programs as tiny as sociology programs tend to be. Even though my stats are fair, the fit wasn't great.

Luckily, I elated to attend UW - Madison -- but if I had to do another round of applications, I'd spend a lot more time thinking about fit and a lot less worrying about school ranking.

9 minutes ago, sociologyapp2016 said:

Out of curiosity, when you say you're interested in virtual communities in your sig, what do you have in mind? Like internet board communities (like this), or like online gaming communities?

PM'd you so I don't take this thread too far into the æther!

Just received an email from one of my professors, asking me to be her TA again this semester. YAY! My favorite professor by far and so easy to work with. Nice to have a little bit of good news amidst this gloom of non-activity on the admissions end of things. Also doesn't hurt to have the modest extra income.

I'm a teacher and had to call out sick Wednesday and Thursday (which is torturous in itself) and then we had a snow day today. Way too much time cooped up = checking email and the results boards obsessively. Haven't heard a peep from the four schools I applied to, though they don't tend to send out admits until mid February. This waiting is killing me. 

1 hour ago, nowayjose said:

Same, though figuring next week since it's 1pm on Friday but who knows anymore

losing my mind. none of the schools i applied to have sent responses yet. thank god it's the weekend tomorrow so i can stop checking my email.

When your phone *dings*, indicating a new email, and you trip over your own feet in a mad dash to check for an admission notice and bang your funnybone against your desk...then find out it was just junk mail. *SMH!*

48 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

*heavy breathing*

Response from Vandy:

" We are reviewing applications. If you make it to our list of candidates for admission (we do not make offers immediately, but choose candidates and invite them to come to visit us), you will know by mid-February. We notify most rejections by late February, but we keep a lot of people in limbo for a while, because you never know."