Questions about my "back-up" Schools

Hi there, 

I'm a lurker. I just finished applying for a few MA programs in English literature the other day and I'm having second thoughts about a few schools that I threw into the mix as "back-ups."  I'm only applying for funded MA programs and as I was feeling quite doubtful about my chances of acceptance to my top choice programs with funding, I decided to apply to DePaul University, Marquette University, and Villanova University. I've been thinking about it and although I would be comfortable going to any of these schools if it were to be paid for (because, obviously, reputation isn't everything and I received a great undergraduate education from an unranked state school), are these schools reputable enough if I end up applying for more competitive PhD programs later? My goal in getting an MA is to determine whether or not I would like to pursue a PhD, so I don't want to attend a school that will not look good on my academic record if I do plan to pursue further graduate work.

In reality, I doubt I will be accepted to any of the schools that I applied for, but if one of the three schools mentioned offers me funding, I would like to figure out now if I would be willing to attend so that I do not make hasty and emotionally-driven decisions later.

If you know anything about these schools, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!

Edited by lemonparty

I'm confused. You expect to not be accepted to any of the schools you applied to, yet you expect to be accepted with funding to the three mentioned schools, and you're wondering whether you should bother going there because... the Yale PhD program is banging down your door begging you to attend on a school-wide fellowship? If you are uncompetitive for a competitive PhD program now, how will attending any MA program make you less competitive? One way or another, you're coming out pareto-neutral or better.

Speaking as someone who was intending to get into a Ph.D. program but fortunately received a fully funded (through GAships / TAships) MA offer that I gratefully accepted, I can tell you that the funded MA step is a good one. This isn't to say that I don't think I could have been just as comfortable in a Ph.D. program right now, but it has helped me acclimate to graduate-level work. This past semester marked the most stressful few months of my life, and there were times when I was seriously questioning whether I still wanted to pursue a Ph.D. While I ultimately acknowledged that it was the in-the-moment stress talking, and not the better part of myself, I can totally see how going through the process can tell a person that further graduate study is not for him/her.

As others have said on this thread, reputation might matter a bit, but there are many more important considerations. If you're doing it to see if you want to pursue a Ph.D., don't worry about reputation...worry about whether the work you do makes you want to pursue a Ph.D.

I have a friend from my UG institution who is whip-smart and seems to me to be the kind of person who would thrive in academia. Being of the typical UG age, however, she had some of the personal issues that often come with the first college experience, meaning her GPA was somewhere in the low 3s when she graduated. She hasn't been able to find work in any compelling field since she graduated last May, and I'm gently trying to encourage her to go to a mid-tier institution (with a high MA acceptance rate) to do a one-year MA and ultimately apply to Ph.D. programs, if she does well enough. Without the MA, you don't get a good sense of what you're capable of. It's entirely possible that you think you can do graduate-level work, but ultimately can't. I was mentally prepared for the workload etc. of grad school, but knowing it and experiencing it are two different things (compounded if you have a significant other or family to take care of / spend time with).

Ultimately, be glad that you applied to the MA programs you did, and be grateful if any accept you. Any of those options should serve you well whether you decide to pursue a Ph.D. or not.

7 hours ago, ExponentialDecay said:

I'm confused. You expect to not be accepted to any of the schools you applied to, yet you expect to be accepted with funding to the three mentioned schools, and you're wondering whether you should bother going there because... the Yale PhD program is banging down your door begging you to attend on a school-wide fellowship? If you are uncompetitive for a competitive PhD program now, how will attending any MA program make you less competitive? One way or another, you're coming out pareto-neutral or better.

Haha. Obviously, my post is riddled with evidence of my insecurities. I'm surprised that you're confused as to my question. Im not interested in Yale, but I am interested in knowing whether or not it would be a bad idea to attend a certain school if i happened to get in.

3 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Speaking as someone who was intending to get into a Ph.D. program but fortunately received a fully funded (through GAships / TAships) MA offer that I gratefully accepted, I can tell you that the funded MA step is a good one. This isn't to say that I don't think I could have been just as comfortable in a Ph.D. program right now, but it has helped me acclimate to graduate-level work. This past semester marked the most stressful few months of my life, and there were times when I was seriously questioning whether I still wanted to pursue a Ph.D. While I ultimately acknowledged that it was the in-the-moment stress talking, and not the better part of myself, I can totally see how going through the process can tell a person that further graduate study is not for him/her.

As others have said on this thread, reputation might matter a bit, but there are many more important considerations. If you're doing it to see if you want to pursue a Ph.D., don't worry about reputation...worry about whether the work you do makes you want to pursue a Ph.D.

I have a friend from my UG institution who is whip-smart and seems to me to be the kind of person who would thrive in academia. Being of the typical UG age, however, she had some of the personal issues that often come with the first college experience, meaning her GPA was somewhere in the low 3s when she graduated. She hasn't been able to find work in any compelling field since she graduated last May, and I'm gently trying to encourage her to go to a mid-tier institution (with a high MA acceptance rate) to do a one-year MA and ultimately apply to Ph.D. programs, if she does well enough. Without the MA, you don't get a good sense of what you're capable of. It's entirely possible that you think you can do graduate-level work, but ultimately can't. I was mentally prepared for the workload etc. of grad school, but knowing it and experiencing it are two different things (compounded if you have a significant other or family to take care of / spend time with).

Ultimately, be glad that you applied to the MA programs you did, and be grateful if any accept you. Any of those options should serve you well whether you decide to pursue a Ph.D. or not.

5 hours ago, ProfLorax said:

As for as I know, any funded MA program is a reputable one. There is no ranking for MA programs, so just make sure you do good work, produce a stellar writing sample, and make strong connections with faculty wherever you go. 

Thank you both!

Those are pretty good MA programs actually.

I came from an unfunded, unranked MA program and I did pretty well all things considered.  

I will echo others in saying that you should have a pretty clear plan with your MA.  Your goal there should be to develop an understanding fields you are interested in, while constructing a writing sample and building a relationship with mentors.  Don't just think of it as "well I'm going to take seminars and get A's and then I'll know if I'm ready for a PhD."  Be focused.