Fall 2016 Admits Computer Science

Shy101

14 hours ago, busterjangle said:

I don't really know too much about the systems side of things. What do you mean by "depend on the location"? Do you mean location as in research group, location as in university, location as in campus? (VT has a campus in Blacksburg, and there's an extension in NoVa, close to DC). So far as I know, there aren't any external internships specific to VT, if that's what you're asking.

I meant that if I wanted to get summer internships in tech companies (since they pay a lot), would it hurt if i live in blacksburg?

Anyways I am getting 1850$ per month. Do you think I could afford a single room and live comfortably in that money? Would I need a car or is public transport good enough?

On February 6, 2016 at 1:28 AM, toxicdevil said:

I meant that if I wanted to get summer internships in tech companies (since they pay a lot), would it hurt if i live in blacksburg?

Anyways I am getting 1850$ per month. Do you think I could afford a single room and live comfortably in that money? Would I need a car or is public transport good enough?

I mean, you'd have to travel/sublet, it's not like the NRV is a hotbed of innovation. I'm decently sure there's some tech industry around Utah, definitely more than in Blacksburg. You'd definitely need a car, there's a bus system, but it would be very difficult to do things like go grocery shopping or get anywhere on a schedule using it. I don't know about salary/cost of living stuff so much, however in general Blacksburg is very affordable. 

Hi all,

Anyone waiting back to hear from UIUC after an interview ? 

My POI informed me that he has nominated me to the committee and they will approve/review. I had my interview on January 19th. Each passing day is only making me more anxious. Please share if you are in a similar boat.

On 2/9/2016 at 11:34 AM, mmacha said:

Hi all,

Anyone waiting back to hear from UIUC after an interview ? 

My POI informed me that he has nominated me to the committee and they will approve/review. I had my interview on January 19th. Each passing day is only making me more anxious. Please share if you are in a similar boat.

I had an interview from some other place. Sometime at the end of January. He told me the same about recommending me.

He mailed again a few days back saying that I might hear from the committee in week perhaps....So I suggest you mail him about the progress of your application.

Hello guys,

I was accepted to UC Santa Cruz (without interview), UC Irvine and NC State (without interview) for Computer Science PhD. Still waiting for other responses.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to GradCafe, but I've been poking around and it seems like a great resource for new grad students. I'm happy to say I was admitted to Vanderbilt's computer science PhD program! I was emailed on February 3rd and got my official notice from the University a week later. I'm looking forward to hearing from other schools.

So far I have been accepted to UCR's PhD with a 200k Fellowship and USC's Masters. Still have pending offers though from UIUC, Columbia, UCSD, UCI, UCSB ... this is so tough!

For those questions regarding UCR, I did get an official letter. UCR offered to swap my Master's application to PhD for free and then my POI contacted me. Though the only thing we discussed was how I was uncertain of going to UCR..

Edited by LostMyDucK

1 hour ago, LostMyDucK said:

So far I have been accepted to UCR's PhD with a 200k Fellowship and USC's Masters. Still have pending offers though from UIUC, Columbia, UCSD, UCI, UCSB ... this is so tough!

For those questions regarding UCR, I did get an official letter. UCR offered to swap my Master's application to PhD for free and then my POI contacted me. Though the only thing we discussed was how I was uncertain of going to UCR..

First of all, congraturation your admissions. If you don't wish to join UCR and you are accepted from your top choice program, please decline the offer ASAP. Thank you for your information ragarding UCR.

On 2/19/2016 at 9:47 AM, LostMyDucK said:

That is 200k stipend or does it include tuition too? For how many years?

I am also waiting for UCI (and UCR).

On 2/20/2016 at 3:09 PM, PaTaPoonG said:

Did you have interview from PoI or committee at UCR?

I did not. UCR emailed me offering me to swap my application (originally MS) into the PhD pool. I agreed and then received this official email two weeks later. The only contact I have had with my POI was about my interest with him, but I stated I was unsure of UCR until I knew all my offers.

On 2/20/2016 at 8:37 AM, toxicdevil said:

That is 200k stipend or does it include tuition too? For how many years?

I am also waiting for UCI (and UCR).

I apologize for my ambiguity. The total award is 208k, the stipend is 23k. The total award includes the stipend, TA/GSR (Graduate Student Researchship), Fees (im not sure what all goes into this category, but it does include health insurance), NRT, and misc. The award is for 5 years.

Another offer without funding, and this was the one I was most confident about T_T The professor said he fought fiercely and I was his top candidate, but the department didn't want to put me forward for funding... Now I'm kinda worried...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...