2016 Admissions General

localfdr

31 minutes ago, ChickenVoicesInMyHead said:

Ah I see, thanks. Looks like they've sent out most of their acceptances then. 

Surprised that there aren't many postings on the results page. There were a slew of them at this time last year. 

Maybe they will offer you such a huge fellowship, they are currently refinancing the entire department before sending you the offer!

May Odin be with you!

7 minutes ago, Eclipse S414 said:

Maybe they will offer you such a huge fellowship, they are currently refinancing the entire department before sending you the offer!

:lol:

I explicitly asked that they do this on my SOP. 

Meanwhile, I see a Purdue admit as I type this. More depression for me I guess. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenVoicesInMyHead said:

Meanwhile, I see a Purdue admit as I type this. More depression for me I guess. 

I also applied there. Good luck to both of us! 

On March 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Eclipse S414 said:

I got offers (PhD Stats) from: Toronto, UBC and Cornell.

I got waitlisted at Berkeley and Columbia.

I got rejected from Duke (Shame! I got into the master's program last year but did not attend).

Congrats! Are you planning to attend Cornell? Pleeeease turn it down if you don't intend to go. I got waitlisted by Cornell and it's my first choice. Thanks so much!!!!

Edited by stats_monte

On 2/24/2016 at 10:30 PM, Stats2016 said:

Is anyone waiting to hear from UCSB and/or Michigan State for statistics?

Haven't heard back from Michigan State yet

14 hours ago, Eclipse S414 said:

I will take the time I need to decide! It's a 4-year decision so I don't want to rush! Sorry!

Oh of course take all the time you need to make the best decision. What I meant is if you decide that you are not gonna attend, please let the department know asap. Otherwise good luck with the decision!

By the way, do you have a MS degree? I looked at UBC and Toronto's websites and they all require (or suggest) applicants to have a MS degree.

3 minutes ago, stats_monte said:

By the way, do you have a MS degree? I looked at UBC and Toronto's websites and they all require (or suggest) applicants to have a MS degree.

Canadian schools are a bit different than US in that applicants are expected to have a masters degree prior to the PhD. It is rare (impossible (?)) for someone to go directly into a PhD program from undergrad in Canada.

Edited by Stats2016

11 minutes ago, Stats2016 said:

Canadian schools are a bit different than US in that applicants are expected to have a masters degree prior to the PhD. It is rare (impossible (?)) for someone to go directly into a PhD program from undergrad in Canada.

Yeah plus all the European schools (as far as I know) all require a MS degree. How's your application season going?

Edited by stats_monte

19 minutes ago, stats_monte said:

Yeah plus all the European schools (as far as I know) all require a MS degree. How's your application season going?

Not good. Rejected by 4 schools and still waiting to hear back from 5. I'm applying for jobs because I'm anticipating rejections across the board this year. 

I hope things work out for you at Cornell! 

54 minutes ago, stats_monte said:

Oh of course take all the time you need to make the best decision. What I meant is if you decide that you are not gonna attend, please let the department know asap. Otherwise good luck with the decision!

I am currently in a Master's Program in Stats. I'm graduating in May.

3 hours ago, Stats2016 said:

Not good. Rejected by 4 schools and still waiting to hear back from 5. I'm applying for jobs because I'm anticipating rejections across the board this year. 

I hope things work out for you at Cornell! 

Thanks a lot Stats2016! I hope you will receive some good news in the upcoming five schools. Don't lose hope!

2 hours ago, Eclipse S414 said:

I am currently in a Master's Program in Stats. I'm graduating in May.

That makes sense. Thanks.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:55 AM, Stats2016 said:

I still haven't heard back either. I get the feeling that is not good news. :(

I haven't heard back from so many schools. I have to tell myself that it's good news rather than the other.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, randomcat said:

Hey guys, anyone admitted to Harvard's biostats MS? I see several admission on the results page and would like to ask you guys some questions.

I applied to the 60 credit program and haven't heard back either. It seems that the smaller credit program has heard back.

To those accepted to Purdue (PhD Stats): Have they made all of their acceptances already? 

I still haven't heard back but I see some decisions on the Results page.

Edited by Stats2016

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested if anyone reading has information on these two biostat PhD programs for Fall 2016:

Vanderbilt: I'm currently waitlisted -- anyone know if they will be declining their offer to attend?

Emory: No correspondence since submitting my app. I'm assuming I've been silently waitlisted or rejected. It's interesting that no PhD acceptances have been posted on the survey.