STS Applicants - Fall 2016

Neist

I still haven't heard from RPI. Their meet and greet is next week, so I would like my rejection already. :D 

It's impossible to guess if I'm even on a wait list because no rejections from RPI STS have yet to be posted.

Update on the Cornell situation: I contacted the graduate assistant and the only thing she could tell me is that decisions went out in the last few days, and that if I haven't received any correspondence from them, I should check the ApplyWeb status (which is still futile). Now I'm getting worried that somehow I didn't receive this -- which is bizarre because nothing was found anywhere -- from spam, junk etc, unless I simply just didn't receive the email, which is just unlikely and absurd. Do you think I should contact the Graduate Director, Prof. Pinch? From what I understand, he is the one that sent out the decisions?

Edited by ladyobscure

2 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

Update on the Cornell situation: I contacted the graduate assistant and the only thing she could tell me is that decisions went out in the last few days, and that if I haven't received any correspondence from them, I should check the ApplyWeb status (which is still futile). Now I'm getting worried that somehow I didn't receive this -- which is bizarre because nothing was found anywhere -- from spam, junk etc, unless I simply just didn't receive the email, which is just unlikely and absurd. Do you think I should contact the Graduate Director, Prof. Pinch? From what I understand, he is the one that sent out the decisions?

Hm. Possibly! That'd be a judgment call, but he was the one who sent out the decisions.

Just now, Neist said:

Hm. Possibly! That'd be a judgment call, but he was the one who sent out the decisions.

Judgement call in what sense? I am just hoping I'm not out of line. I contacted the admissions coordinator and since she wasn't able to let me know anything I figured I'd give Pinch a shot...

Just now, ladyobscure said:

Judgement call in what sense? I am just hoping I'm not out of line. I contacted the admissions coordinator and since she wasn't able to let me know anything I figured I'd give Pinch a shot...

I mean, I can't say if contacting pinch is a good idea or not. :)

But I would. At this point.

1 minute ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@ladyobscure Can't you ask the admissions coordinator and say that you didn't receive anything? have you tried logging into the portal?

Both. Admissions coordinator wasn't able to tell me anything, and portal doesn't show any changes.

10 minutes ago, Neist said:

I mean, I can't say if contacting pinch is a good idea or not. :)

But I would. At this point.

Sent in the email, very measured and super polite. I figured at this point if I wasn't an outright asshole, this would perhaps not make much of a difference in their decision :P

I was probably rejected anyway, I don't see why the assistant would hesitate so much to tell me.

12 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

Finally got rejected by Cornell. Such peace.

Congrats! :) 

I'm still waiting for my RPI rejection. I'll probably email someone if I don't by sometime next week.

6 hours ago, Neist said:

Congrats! :) 

I'm still waiting for my RPI rejection. I'll probably email someone if I don't by sometime next week.

I'm really fond of how positive this forum is about rejection! I mean that sincerely.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that York STS is nothing to scoff at either. It receives nearly 40-100 apps year for PhD and accepts 4. Take that Cornell!

8 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

I'm really fond of how positive this forum is about rejection! I mean that sincerely.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that York STS is nothing to scoff at either. It receives nearly 40-100 apps year for PhD and accepts 4. Take that Cornell!

I'm of the mind that any news is good news. Life likes to throw obstacles in our way, and you can't overcome them until you know what they are. :) 

And wow! York takes that few? Huge congrats on that acceptance, then!

25 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Finally got my rejection from Penn. Now if I could finally get Oregon to respond...then I can be officially done with the application season! :)

I think I'm going to call RPI next week and finally confirm one way or another. I got a notice that I need to decide if I want to renew my lease here at OU soon, so I need to decide whether I'm staying here or not soon.

Pretty good excuse to ask, I think. 

9 minutes ago, Neist said:

Pretty good excuse to ask, I think. 

Definitely a good excuse! My lease runs out in April, so my boyfriend and I have to figure out when we want to make the move. He's on a month-by-month, so I'm just going to move in with him until we figure out what the job situation looks like for him. Luckily, he's a computer developer and CA might have some jobs for him that help offset my stipend. On a side note: if anyone has 500k lying around and wants to buy me a condo, that would be great. 

I just found this article (http://www.davidjhess.org/uploads/3/5/1/3/3513369/minerva.2011.draft.pdf) and thought it was really interesting. Maybe some of you have seen it, but I hadn't. It would've helped me a lot in my application cycle:

"...that institutional prestige has a positive association with the history of science as opposed to the history of technology, industry, and the environment (TIE) and social science. Likewise, there is a weak to moderate negative association with topical interest in the environment or sustainability (ES); democracy, social movements, or public participation (DP); and class 26 or labor (CL)."

Yep. History of technology (specifically envirotech) is definitely a hard sell at some schools. Hopefully, it'll fare a little better on the job market. :)

4 hours ago, nevermind said:

I just found this article (http://www.davidjhess.org/uploads/3/5/1/3/3513369/minerva.2011.draft.pdf) and thought it was really interesting. Maybe some of you have seen it, but I hadn't. It would've helped me a lot in my application cycle:

"...that institutional prestige has a positive association with the history of science as opposed to the history of technology, industry, and the environment (TIE) and social science. Likewise, there is a weak to moderate negative association with topical interest in the environment or sustainability (ES); democracy, social movements, or public participation (DP); and class 26 or labor (CL)."

Yep. History of technology (specifically envirotech) is definitely a hard sell at some schools. Hopefully, it'll fare a little better on the job market. :)

Does this mean basically, that nonelite institutions are more receptive to progressive research?

6 hours ago, ladyobscure said:

Does this mean basically, that nonelite institutions are more receptive to progressive research?

Progressive is a bit value-laden, but  I just see what it means for my own research...history of science = less interdisciplinary than I realized due to certain institutional biases. STS 4 Lyfe I guess. :)

13 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Progressive is a bit value-laden, but  I just see what it means for my own research...history of science = less interdisciplinary than I realized due to certain institutional biases. STS 4 Lyfe I guess. :)

Boo ya

2 hours ago, jayzpole said:

Any news on IHPST Toronto? Literally driving myself crazy...

Thought I saw some acceptances on the results board a few days ago. Good luck!

7 hours ago, jayzpole said:

Any news on IHPST Toronto? Literally driving myself crazy...

I popped into the IHPST office on Friday and was told me that offers will be 'trickling out over the next couple of weeks.' So, no new information really. Cruel bit of hope and more waiting, haha.

16 minutes ago, Logik said:

I popped into the IHPST office on Friday and was told me that offers will be 'trickling out over the next couple of weeks.' So, no new information really. Cruel bit of hope and more waiting, haha.

Torturous relief...I applied for the MA and I really, really, REALLY want it. Do you think they've sent many out? Thanks (and good luck)!