Grad School -- After a LONG Break

TurquoiseTurtle

Hello, everyone!  I am very grateful to have found this forum.  It looks like a wealth of information!

I am hoping that somebody (or several somebodies!) might have a pearl of wisdom to toss my way regarding my situation.  I was a very happy and successful undergraduate English major (I graduated Magna cum Laude with a 3.8 GPA), and was fortunate enough to have a productive Research Assistantship with a professor who taught me a great deal about my specific area of interest: Postcolonial literary theory.  I graduated in 2000, after which I moved to Dallas, got married, and had two wonderful children.  My intention to apply to graduate school went on the back burner so that I could raise my kids.  Now that they are older, I definitely want to go back to school; however, I just don't know where to begin.  My undergrad degree is sixteen years old and I am no longer in touch with any of my previous professors, who would have served as academic references.  I still want to eventually earn my PhD in English so that I can cultivate a career in Postsecondary Education; I just need to figure out how to get there. 

I am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's in order to develop the references and more recent coursework that I feel I need in order to competitively apply to an MA program; would this be a good idea?  Another consideration is that since my family is well-established where we currently live, I do not have the option of applying to multiple programs or attending different schools for different degree programs.  Is it reasonable to expect to attain a B.A. M.A., and PhD from the same university, or should I look at the possibility of getting one or more of these degrees from different institutions, even if it means having to get the degree entirely online?

Goodness, I know that I asked SO many questions...I am very grateful for any input that I might receive!  Thank you in advance and thanks for reading this!

First and foremost, I wanted to say how much I admire your tenacity in returning to school and pursuing your dream. It's really quite inspiring!

In general, I've heard it's not generally recommended to obtain all three of your degrees at the same institution (although there isn't a steadfast rule or anything). However, I think your situation is completely understandable and I would be surprised if anyone holds it against you. 

Your plan about obtaining a secondary degree is a solid one in my opinion. I'm in psychology myself, and I know several people who went back to school, obtained a second degree (either switching to psychology the second time around or went back to obtain a recent reference and/or course work), and were subsequently accepted into graduate programs. I wouldn't recommend applying to an online program if you're only doing it to have a different undergraduate university. I can't say for sure, but I think attending the same university for all three degrees (which happens to individuals who aren't in your situation as well) is preferable to attending any university online. 

You might also consider looking into the programs that you'd be interested in applying to for graduate school. It may be helpful to speak with the program coordinator, or even the chair of the department (this might be tricky and difficult so I'd start with the program coordinator) and explain your situation. They likely have faced this situation before and may be able to give you some important advice and/or tips. 

Edited by clinicalapplicant

Hi TurquoiseTurle, 

I don't really think a second Bachelor's is necessary. It's a much cheaper alternative to register as a non-degree seeking student and begin taking graduate-level classes in your area of interest. This will give you a couple things you're lacking: recent grades, proof that you can handle graduate-level work, and likely, more relevant letters of recommendation. Alternatively, since your goal is in education, you might see if there any certificate programs that would be beneficial to your career trajectory--which would boost your application in a similar way. 

Edited by nevermind

The certificate and non-degree seeking classes would be a great way to make new connections, along with again offering to work and do research within the uni. 

Out of curiosity, my field allows you to, at many places, apply directly to a PhD from a BS, which is what I'm doing. Do any of the Universities that you could apply to have this type of option?

On 1/18/2016 at 5:06 PM, nevermind said:

Hi TurquoiseTurle, 

I don't really think a second Bachelor's is necessary. It's a much cheaper alternative to register as a non-degree seeking student and begin taking graduate-level classes in your area of interest. This will give you a couple things you're lacking: recent grades, proof that you can handle graduate-level work, and likely, more relevant letters of recommendation. Alternatively, since your goal is in education, you might see if there any certificate programs that would be beneficial to your career trajectory--which would boost your application in a similar way. 

Seconding this advice.  Try to get into the master's degree instead - especially if you're aiming for a PhD.  Certificates are a good suggestion as well if you're thinking of teaching.  You can also speak with the administrator of your program and see if you can sit in on some of the classes as a prospective student - I've had that happen in my program all the time and it can really help you decide.  Also speaking to the to the program administrator to address any concerns about that long gap will help.  Honestly with that GPA and having an RA under your belt and professional experience will matter more than any gaps.  I returned after 15 years and didn't have contacts from my undergrad but was able to make it into my program because I had the work experience, portfolio and a statement of work that showed my committment.  It's mostly that they want to see you you have a mature, responsible mindset for work - and that GPA and RA work shows it.  Also kudos on postcolonial literary theory ;) Definitely do grad school - I'm an older student and it's a hell of a lot of work, but worth it.  Feel free to PM me - there's also an Older Students thread in the forum.

Turq Turtle...I've been out far longer than you have and was faced with a similar problem.  Fortunately I live in a city with several high-profile universities, including an Ivy.  The latter offered a program for returning post-bacc students to obtain a "graduate foundations" certificate.  There was a basic application process, but once I was in, I was able to register for most undergrad and some grad level classes--for a minimum of 12 credits and a B avg (I've managed to far outpace that). I now have a much better and more relevant transcript to submit.  I was able to tap a couple of professors for LORs and--most importantly--I know I can compete academically with most other students applying from any school.  It also confirmed that my chosen subject area was one  I would be willing to dedicate the next couple of years to.  Check out any institutions near you that may offer "Continuing Ed." or Professional Studies" Certificates.   

Yep--I agree that going for a second bachelors is not worth your time. I returned after about the same amount of time--a couple of the professors I wanted to work with advised me to get some grad level coursework and then apply. So I did  and got into the programs I had in mind. Plus I had fresh recommenders, which counts for a lot.

You've already gotten a ton of good advice, but I'll add my vote against the 2nd BA degree. DO take some classes, to form connections with potential LOR writers and to prove you still have it academically. I returned to grad school after 20 years post college, and a few of the program reps I spoke with while investigating where to apply to initially treated me as a somewhat amusing and probably clueless older woman,  until I told them my GRE scores and recent coursework and asked them pointed questions about their programs (sigh). You probably have not been away as long as I have, but if anything remotely similar happens to you, ignore it and forge ahead. Best of luck.

On 1/18/2016 at 3:36 PM, TurquoiseTurtle said:

Hello, everyone!  I am very grateful to have found this forum.  It looks like a wealth of information!

I am hoping that somebody (or several somebodies!) might have a pearl of wisdom to toss my way regarding my situation.  I was a very happy and successful undergraduate English major (I graduated Magna cum Laude with a 3.8 GPA), and was fortunate enough to have a productive Research Assistantship with a professor who taught me a great deal about my specific area of interest: Postcolonial literary theory.  I graduated in 2000, after which I moved to Dallas, got married, and had two wonderful children.  My intention to apply to graduate school went on the back burner so that I could raise my kids.  Now that they are older, I definitely want to go back to school; however, I just don't know where to begin.  My undergrad degree is sixteen years old and I am no longer in touch with any of my previous professors, who would have served as academic references.  I still want to eventually earn my PhD in English so that I can cultivate a career in Postsecondary Education; I just need to figure out how to get there. 

I am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's in order to develop the references and more recent coursework that I feel I need in order to competitively apply to an MA program; would this be a good idea?  Another consideration is that since my family is well-established where we currently live, I do not have the option of applying to multiple programs or attending different schools for different degree programs.  Is it reasonable to expect to attain a B.A. M.A., and PhD from the same university, or should I look at the possibility of getting one or more of these degrees from different institutions, even if it means having to get the degree entirely online?

Goodness, I know that I asked SO many questions...I am very grateful for any input that I might receive!  Thank you in advance and thanks for reading this!

Wow, this was me a few years ago.  I had a 13 year hiatus before going back for my Masters. My husband is the sole provider for our family and he is established there so my only options were universities that were local.  I used a one work reference and the rest were references from my volunteer work.  I did not have any other options.  My work reference was old but it was was okay.  If it is meant to be it will be, you know what I mean.  I studied for the GRE and everything.  Yikes talk about freaking out!  I started my program as part time because I wasn't sure I would be able to handle three kids, a husband, my house etc.  I'm now attending full time and it has worked out. Since my return to school, I too am considering my Ph.D and the time it would take to complete it and what that would mean for my family.  I would like to attend a different university however if I am not able too I wouldn't feel bad completing my Ph.D from the same university where I pursued my Masters. I would NOT go for a second bachelors degree.  I would probably take one or two post bac classes to get my feet wet as a non degree seeking student then I would use those professors as references and apply for my Masters.   Best of luck to you. 

Edited by Threeboysmom