2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

14 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Seriously. It pains me, but I might have to cut the cord on a couple--including Oregon :( 

As someone on the waitlist at UO, I would approve of your decision. (I was about to use the word 'Shadenfreude' (which I recently learned from studying for the GRE), but I don't think that is what I am feeling, because my pleasure is certainly not derived from the pain you are feeling).

I am just glad that you are such a strong candidate, lisamadura!

33 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Thank you! I'm such a bad gauge of these things--I thought I came off as a dilettante. My sophistry worked again! 

I hope we have the same magic powers. The silence after you answer a question and you wonder whether skype lags. And it's probably the normal amount of time one waits until one begins talking, but in these circumstances it feels like a million hours. 

Congratulations, though. You deserve it!

Edited by MVSCZAR

33 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

I can't believe you didn't just accept vandy on the spot. 

I know what you mean. Vanderbilt is a well reputed school in a great location and has two specific faculty that I really want to work with (Lisa Guenther and Kelly Oliver) but Emory and Penn State offer a wider range of people that work in my areas of interests. I think campus visits will be a large determining factor (or so I hope). 

39 minutes ago, erosopher said:

As someone on the waitlist at UO, I would approve of your decision. (I was about to use the word 'Shadenfreude' (which I recently learned from studying for the GRE), but I don't think that is what I am feeling, because my pleasure is certainly not derived from the pain you are feeling).

I am just glad that you are such a strong candidate, lisamadura!

I also learned 'Shadenfreude' studying for the GRE! Much to my dismay, it never showed up on the actual test. Thanks for your kind words. I'm pulling for you with UO--Good luck! 

16 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

I also learned 'Shadenfreude' studying for the GRE! Much to my dismay, it never showed up on the actual test. Thanks for your kind words. I'm pulling for you with UO--Good luck! 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

I saw that your signature says you're presuming a rejection from WUSTL PNP. As far as I know, the PNP accepts/rejects tend to come out later than the general admits, which just now came out. I don't think you should presume a rejection just yet!

I flipped it because I seem to recall they all came out at once last year. Then again, they also came out in practically the middle of January last year.

ETA: Wanna just accept Pitt now and free up my spot?

Edited by MentalEngineer

25 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

Actually, if that's the case, I would definitely talk to Vanderbilt before accepting. From what I've heard, they specifically did not accept a feminist philosopher this year because Oliver and Guenther do not plan on taking any students from this year. However, it may be hearsay. But definitely check. 

Wow, thank you. 

I do wonder why they would accept me if that's the case? There are no other faculty at Vanderbilt that are obvious matches for my research interests. Without Guenther and Oliver, Vanderbilt doesn't make much sense for me in light of my SoP. I will do some reconnaissance work. If they aren't possible dissertation directors then this is a very different game. 

Edited by lisamadura

24 minutes ago, iamtheother said:

@lisamadura Who was in contact with you from Vanderbilt? I've e-mailed the DGS three times now and have yet to receive a response.

Julian Wuerth notified me of the initial acceptance but my point of contact since has been the admin, Elisabeth Fiss. 

Oh, well assuming that post is true, that was for their MA program. I'm not sure we should assume that the contact methods would be the same for MA and PhD (do they waitlist their MA applicants first as well?) 

12 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

Oh, well assuming that post is true, that was for their MA program. I'm not sure we should assume that the contact methods would be the same for MA and PhD (do they waitlist their MA applicants first as well?) 

I don't know. I hope they're not doing a snail mail thing, though. That's just torturous.

I have a feeling today is going to be a big day. Last time I had this feeling I got admitted to Cinci and waitlisted at Penn... so my intuitions might not be totally useless. 

Ok... they're probably useless... but still, I have a feeling!

5 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

Not mine, but a kid in my program's. It's legit.

Thanks! I wasn't doubting that it was real, just wanted to know what time of day they got the email. It got posted pretty late at night. 

I am waiting patiently for any news from WUSTL or Loyola Chicago, apparently they've begun sending out letters today... my hands are shaking with anticipation as I type this.

Rejected from cmu phd but accepted to the masters which gives half tuition scholarship. I'm also undergrad at cmu so I can do a 1 year masters if I want to. 

Its nice to know I'll be going to grad school in the fall but this also really sucks. Was my top choice 

1 hour ago, bravesball said:

Rejected from cmu phd but accepted to the masters which gives half tuition scholarship. I'm also undergrad at cmu so I can do a 1 year masters if I want to. 

Its nice to know I'll be going to grad school in the fall but this also really sucks. Was my top choice 

Don't worry, you have ten more places to hear from. You will get into a good PhD program. 

1 hour ago, bravesball said:

I got the same email, but I'm quite pleased. I think I can make the finances work... It was one of my top choices as well, but might be good prep for graduate school... I don't have a strictly philosophy backgroud so this is probably something I need. 

1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I got the same email, but I'm quite pleased. I think I can make the finances work... It was one of my top choices as well, but might be good prep for graduate school... I don't have a strictly philosophy backgroud so this is probably something I need. 

Yeah I'd be much more excited if I thought I could make the finances work. But I'm not really sure if I can.