What are my chances of being accepted?

Hello all, I'm back again! My GPA has risen since the last time I've posted and I'm FINALLY just about done applying to my long list of grad schools so I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether or not I have a decent shot at acceptance or not and which schools that I've applied to are more likely to accept an applicant like me. I feel as though my letters of rec should be pretty strong and I feel that my essays were pretty decent.  I'm really starting to get nervous during this long waiting game and don't want to get my hopes up if it's unrealistic :( stats are below!

You have a good list of schools, and grad schools love to see improvement. You're an SLP major? If not I'd toss in an application to some post bacc schools (PSU and USU have rolling admissions and are non- competitive) I really can't speak to those schools as I did not go to or apply to any of them. Plus we don't really know everything that goes on in those application meetings, and we don't really know the stats of others applying. MGH is a tough ticket but I've heard Grand Valley takes a pretty holistic look at applications. If worse comes to worse and you have to reapply next year (and really don't cross that bridge until you need to but if you're like me having back up plans reduces stress) I'd think about retaking the GRE as your scores are a little low but not horrible. You have great extra curricular but in a year off you can add more (do research, keep up the volunteer work, get a job as a BI or a slpa etc). Good luck and don't stress too much!

DZLAM ??

Edited by NorcalSLP

Dear Hopeful, 

I´ll be honest with you (not trying to be harsh or anything)...

• Your GPA is average (right in the middle of the average that I´ve seen at many schools). Mine is almost the same - 3.57. 
  • Your GRE´s are a little below average (Have you tried retaking it? I recommend using Magoosh for an online prep course - review on my blog). 

Now, those things could be average and you could still get in. Remember, average is not the same as minimum - people with higher and lower numbers get in. Why? Because LOR and Personal Statements are important too! How are yours? How much time did you spend on your SOP? Is it compelling? Who wrote your LORs? Are they lukewarm or are they strong? Usually, you can´t know because it is in comparison to other applications. Grad schools like to see improvement so maybe that GPA having gone up will help. I´ve got a blog post on the numbers game if you´d like to look it up, but remember the numbers aren´t everything. 

You were smart to apply to so many schools! (14, right?) that will DEFINITELY boost your chances. It is also good you have applications in multiple states and regions - that should help too. 

IN the end, it´s hard to say who has a "decent shot" and who doesn´t. If you meet the minimum standards at each school you´re applying to then YOU HAVE A SHOT and that is the thing to remember and focus on as you wait for responses. 

Best of luck!

All I want to add is that if your apps are in, you've done your best. Do anything you can to take your mind off the waiting game which includes getting off grad cafe. This forum can be helpful but also increase anxiety and nerves in waiting. So get out of the house, start watching seasons of a very long show, turn off the phone, etc. Anything that will help you avoid looking at stats or seeing others acceptance. Trust me. I went through this process twice and at some point there's nothing you can do until you hear back and no one here can guarantee one way or the other. Think positively, come up with a couple back up options (mine was retaking gre, finding more experience), and then go do fun things besides work or school. (Seriously though, start blocking gradcafe if it's stressing you out! My cohort and I talked only yesterday about it and all agreed it can make it worse! So at least limit time on here.) wishing all of you the best in the waiting game! It won't last forever I promise!

4 hours ago, mcamp said:

Dear Hopeful, 

• Your GPA is average (right in the middle of the average that I´ve seen at many schools). Mine is almost the same - 3.57. 
  • Your GRE´s are a little below average (Have you tried retaking it? I recommend using Magoosh for an online prep course - review on my blog). 

Now, those things could be average and you could still get in. Remember, average is not the same as minimum - people with higher and lower numbers get in. Why? Because LOR and Personal Statements are important too! How are yours? How much time did you spend on your SOP? Is it compelling? Who wrote your LORs? Are they lukewarm or are they strong? Usually, you can´t know because it is in comparison to other applications. Grad schools like to see improvement so maybe that GPA having gone up will help. I´ve got a blog post on the numbers game if you´d like to look it up, but remember the numbers aren´t everything. 

You were smart to apply to so many schools! (14, right?) that will DEFINITELY boost your chances. It is also good you have applications in multiple states and regions - that should help too. 

IN the end, it´s hard to say who has a "decent shot" and who doesn´t. If you meet the minimum standards at each school you´re applying to then YOU HAVE A SHOT and that is the thing to remember and focus on as you wait for responses. 

Best of luck!

i agree with not being harsh... but those stats are low for MGH

although i see you have a few 'easier' schools on your list, best of luck in those!

On 1/22/2016 at 11:21 PM, NorcalSLP said:

You have a good list of schools, and grad schools love to see improvement. You're an SLP major? If not I'd toss in an application to some post bacc schools (PSU and USU have rolling admissions and are non- competitive) I really can't speak to those schools as I did not go to or apply to any of them. Plus we don't really know everything that goes on in those application meetings, and we don't really know the stats of others applying. MGH is a tough ticket but I've heard Grand Valley takes a pretty holistic look at applications. If worse comes to worse and you have to reapply next year (and really don't cross that bridge until you need to but if you're like me having back up plans reduces stress) I'd think about retaking the GRE as your scores are a little low but not horrible. You have great extra curricular but in a year off you can add more (do research, keep up the volunteer work, get a job as a BI or a slpa etc). Good luck and don't stress too much!

DZLAM ??

Yes, I threw some more competitive ones in there just to see, I'm not really banking on MGH, but I figured I'd try it out! Thanks for the support! But yes, if it doesn't happen for me this application cycle, I'm definitely going to retake my GRE's (and better prepare for them this time around), get some more in field experience and apply again for the next cycle.

P.S. DZ all the way, hey! :D

On 1/22/2016 at 0:49 PM, mcamp said:

Dear Hopeful, 

Best of luck!

I appreciate your honesty. I know my GRE's are on the lower side, mostly because I did not have adequate preparation for them at all. If I don't get accepted anywhere this application cycle, I'm going to retake them and gain more in field experience and try again next time. And then if for some reason it still doesn't happen, I have a few different back-up plans. I feel that my personal statements for each school are compelling and really show my passion for this career path. I'm most certain that my LOR's are very good. On CSDCAS, I actually have 4 LORs, three from my favorite professors within CMD and one from the SLP that I volunteered and shadowed for. Do you think they would read all 4 even though most schools only require 3? But yes, 14 schools all in different regions! Thanks for the support!

5 hours ago, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

I appreciate your honesty. I know my GRE's are on the lower side, mostly because I did not have adequate preparation for them at all. If I don't get accepted anywhere this application cycle, I'm going to retake them and gain more in field experience and try again next time. And then if for some reason it still doesn't happen, I have a few different back-up plans. I feel that my personal statements for each school are compelling and really show my passion for this career path. I'm most certain that my LOR's are very good. On CSDCAS, I actually have 4 LORs, three from my favorite professors within CMD and one from the SLP that I volunteered and shadowed for. Do you think they would read all 4 even though most schools only require 3? But yes, 14 schools all in different regions! Thanks for the support!

That's a great question about if they'll read the extra LOR's and one I can't answer without guessing. 

If you're SOP's are strong and your LOR are good then you've got as good a chance as anyone :)

I agree with mcamp, it's hard to know some of these answers without guessing.  However, I can tell you that some schools have cutoffs for GPA, GRE, etc.  The schools I'm applying to have a minimum GPA of 3.5 cumulative, but every school is different.  You could call or email a couple of your top choice programs to ask if they do have cutoffs, to see if your application will get through the first round of elimination.

If you're still in undergrad, have you considered retaking any of the classes you did not do well in?  If you can raise a couple of Cs to As, or even Bs, that'll help your GPA a little.  I would also plan to retake the GRE before next application cycle, in case you don't get in.  That being said, it looks like you applied to a pretty diverse range of schools, with a range of criteria for admission.  We're all playing the waiting game now, and no matter what our stats are, we are all nervous about getting in!  Best of luck!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

Hello all, I'm back again! My GPA has risen since the last time I've posted and I'm FINALLY just about done applying to my long list of grad schools so I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether or not I have a decent shot at acceptance or not and which schools that I've applied to are more likely to accept an applicant like me. I feel as though my letters of rec should be pretty strong and I feel that my essays were pretty decent.  I'm really starting to get nervous during this long waiting game and don't want to get my hopes up if it's unrealistic :( stats are below!

Good Morning. I'm going to through in a different slant here. I agree with the above posters.....your GPA isn't that strong (overall and in major are quite close) and your GRE's are low. But......you have done something (intentionally, accidentally??) that will help you. That is, you applied to many schools with higher acceptance rates. I am a huge proponent of trying to apply to schools with a higher acceptance rate. That's the best shot at a "safety school" (IMHO) that there is in this process.  Given that some schools are in the 7-10%, your percentages are high. I would compare your stats to these schools, and then look at the acceptance rate. The closer you are within range, at the higher acceptance schools-I think that's your best shot.  I know a lot of people on this forum put great stock in LOR and essays.....I don't. I think they can hurt you (most definitely), but I'm not convinced they can "up" an applicant too much. Again, that's just MHO!.

The stats below are from ASHA Edfind. I noticed that several schools have changed their stats since last year, so I do believe they update, but it's hard to know which cycle they are from. But it's the best info available, unless the school publishes stats on their website (I've seen a couple)

California University of PA   

No info

Univ of Delaware

I can’t find info

Bowling Green 50%

Number of Applications Received: 248

Number of Admission Offers:  125

Salus 47%

Number of Applications Received:  92

Number of Admission Offers:  44

Midwestern Univ (Illinois)  42%

Number of Applications Received: 363

Number of Admission Offers: 154

MGH Institute of Health Prof  42%

Number of Applications Received:  431

Number of Admission Offers:  183

Adelphi  35%

Number of Applications Received:  271

Number of Admission Offers:  91

Edinboro 33%

Number of Applications Received: 271

Number of Admission Offers: 91

College of St Rose  30%

Number of Applications Received: 275

Number of Admission Offers: 82

Ithaca  30%

Number of Applications Received:  265

Number of Admission Offers:  80

Univ of South Carolina  28%

Number of Applications Received:  479

Number of Admission Offers:  162

Jacksonville  21%

Number of Applications Received:  294

Number of Admission Offers:  63

East Stroudsberg  17%

Number of Applications Received:  257

Grand Valley State  16%

Number of Applications Received:  469

Number of Admission Offers:  79

13 hours ago, Kanga said:

Good Morning. I'm going to through in a different slant here. I agree with the above posters.....your GPA isn't that strong (overall and in major are quite close) and your GRE's are low. But......you have done something (intentionally, accidentally??) that will help you. That is, you applied to many schools with higher acceptance rates. I am a huge proponent of trying to apply to schools with a higher acceptance rate. That's the best shot at a "safety school" (IMHO) that there is in this process.  Given that some schools are in the 7-10%, your percentages are high. I would compare your stats to these schools, and then look at the acceptance rate. The closer you are within range, at the higher acceptance schools-I think that's your best shot.  I know a lot of people on this forum put great stock in LOR and essays.....I don't. I think they can hurt you (most definitely), but I'm not convinced they can "up" an applicant too much. Again, that's just MHO!.

The stats below are from ASHA Edfind. I noticed that several schools have changed their stats since last year, so I do believe they update, but it's hard to know which cycle they are from. But it's the best info available, unless the school publishes stats on their website (I've seen a couple)

California University of PA   

No info

Univ of Delaware

I can’t find info

Bowling Green 50%

Number of Applications Received: 248

Number of Admission Offers:  125

Salus 47%

Number of Applications Received:  92

Midwestern Univ (Illinois)  42%

Number of Applications Received: 363

Number of Admission Offers: 154

MGH Institute of Health Prof  42%

Number of Applications Received:  431

Number of Admission Offers:  183

Adelphi  35%

Number of Applications Received:  271

Number of Admission Offers:  91

Edinboro 33%

Number of Applications Received: 271

Number of Admission Offers: 91

College of St Rose  30%

Number of Applications Received: 275

Number of Admission Offers: 82

Ithaca  30%

Number of Applications Received:  265

Number of Admission Offers:  80

Univ of South Carolina  28%

Number of Applications Received:  479

Number of Admission Offers:  162

Jacksonville  21%

Number of Applications Received:  294

Number of Admission Offers:  63

East Stroudsberg  17%

Number of Applications Received:  257

Grand Valley State  16%

Number of Applications Received:  469

Number of Admission Offers:  79

Also keep in mind Fall 2016 has had the most applicants ever.. Multiple schools mentioned it in their info sessions or webinars that they have about 100-200 applicants more than usual. In November MGH had about 650 people who had started their application on CSDCAS, I don't know how many actually submitted.

IMHO, your acceptance also highly depends on who looks at your application from the admission committee. Sometimes professors accept mainly 4.0 GPA 160 GRE students and realize their clinical skills are not strong. Second time around they accept 3.2 GPA with 145-150 GRE who show way more character in their SOP. Many schools are now adding interviews because of that... 

10 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

You need some tough love: You're wasting your money on applications when you should be spending it on GRE prep. 

That was wildly unnecessary! Hopeful has already applied to schools and is aware her GRE is on the lower side, and that should she need to reapply that is the first thing that needs to be addressed. To tell her she is wasting her money is simply rude. I am going to give you the bennifit of the doubt and assume that you are tired and stressed by school and/or applications but please keep in mind what profession you are going into. If you talk to clients like that ( again, I am going to assume you don't) you will find yourself having a very hard time being successful. Have a little compassion. 

20 minutes ago, NorcalSLP said:

That was wildly unnecessary! Hopeful has already applied to schools and is aware her GRE is on the lower side, and that should she need to reapply that is the first thing that needs to be addressed. To tell her she is wasting her money is simply rude. I am going to give you the bennifit of the doubt and assume that you are tired and stressed by school and/or applications but please keep in mind what profession you are going into. If you talk to clients like that ( again, I am going to assume you don't) you will find yourself having a very hard time being successful. Have a little compassion. 

I have compassion. But this poster came to this forum before with the same question and obviously didn't take anyone's advice, and now she wants reassurance from us for her bad decision. I'm not going to act supportive of bad decision making. That's just me. :)

This is the same thing that admissions committees deal with. They recommend that an applicant who was refused admission because of low stats to work on those, and what do they do? Just apply to a bunch of other schools with no improved background, with their fingers snugly crossed. That's exactly what this poster is doing. Hopefully she's wasting her own hard-earned money and not somebody else's!

No, I don't talk to clients this way. But if a client has extremely bad habits (like smoking), well, at some point, you just have to be real with them, even if it sounds harsh. 

At any rate, I would be tickled pink if I'm wrong. So, I hope the absolute best for this (and any) poster. 

Edited by Pennsatucky

This applicant's quant is in the 8% percentile. That is EXTREMELY low and a giant red flag. That means 92% percent of test takers scored better than she did. Will this applicant be able to accurately (and quickly) assess her clients and score their test results? That is a question I'm sure the admission's committee will be asking themselves.

Whoever advised her to apply to a bunch of schools to increase her chances is offering BAD advice. 

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf

Edited by Pennsatucky

12 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

You need some tough love: You're wasting your money on applications when you should be spending it on GRE prep. 

This isn't "tough love", it's just straight up rude. 

1 hour ago, Pennsatucky said:

I have compassion. But this poster came to this forum before with the same question and obviously didn't take anyone's advice, and now she wants reassurance from us for her bad decision. I'm not going to act supportive of bad decision making. That's just me. :)

This is the same thing that admissions committees deal with. They recommend that an applicant who was refused admission because of low stats to work on those, and what do they do? Just apply to a bunch of other schools with no improved background, with their fingers snugly crossed. That's exactly what this poster is doing. Hopefully she's wasting her own hard-earned money and not somebody else's!

No, I don't talk to clients this way. But if a client has extremely bad habits (like smoking), well, at some point, you just have to be real with them, even if it sounds harsh. 

At any rate, I would be tickled pink if I'm wrong. So, I hope the absolute best for this (and any) poster. 

It kind of seems like you have some personal issue with this poster? I understand what you're trying to say, but there are a million other ways to phrase advice without sounding so aggressive. Like what possessed you to join this thread and go on a rant against someone you don't even know? Let it go.  

12 minutes ago, Pennsatucky said:

This applicant's quant is in the 8% percentile. That is EXTREMELY low and a giant red flag. That means 92% percent of test takers scored better than she did. Will this applicant be able to accurately (and quickly) assess her clients and score their test results? That is a question I'm sure the admission's committee will be asking themselves.

Whoever advised her to apply to a bunch of schools to increase her chances is offering BAD advice. 

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf

Pennsatucky, 

I agree with your "tough love" mentality - we need to be told things as people see them. As long as people know to take everything with a grain of salt (as the saying goes), it´s very good. In the end, none of us can really give accurate advice because we´re not on the admission committee and we don´t know what the competition is. 

I don´t know why you would advise against applying to several school to increase your chances. What is your rationale? 

18 minutes ago, mcamp said:

I don´t know why you would advise against applying to several school to increase your chances. What is your rationale? 

I guess I think it's bad advice because to me it seems reckless, and financially irresponsible. And I see it time and again out there. Let me point out that I'm sure this applicant has potential, and that her GRE scores are by no means an actual reflection of her abilities! She wouldn't have gotten this far if that were the case. However, these GRE scores are a giant weakness that aren't countered by much, yet. 

It appears she (you) are still in school. Why can't you take a couple of years off? Why are you rushing things? I'm sure if you put as much time into increasing your vocabulary skills (at least do that!) as you have for your classes, your verbal score will increase substantially. If you can't learn 1500-3000 new English words, how are you going to become proficient in the medical field. I'm sure you can do it! 

3 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

I guess I think it's bad advice because to me it seems reckless, and financially irresponsible. And I see it time and again out there. Let me point out that I'm sure this applicant has potential, and that her GRE scores are by no means an actual reflection of her abilities! She wouldn't have gotten this far if that were the case. However, these GRE scores are a giant weakness that aren't countered by much, yet. 

It appears she (you) are still in school. Why can't you take a couple of years off? Why are you rushing things? I'm sure if you put as much time into increasing your vocabulary skills (at least do that!) as you have for your classes, your verbal score will increase substantially. If you can't learn 1500-3000 new English words, how are you going to become proficient in the medical field. I'm sure you can do it! 

You're not wrong... I didn't want to be harsh.. But I completely agree .. 

But applying to multiple schools kinda eliminates the whole 'what if I just applied to one more school I could have gotten in' so I get that as well

4 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

Pennsatucky, 

I see what you're saying, but I guess I just disagree. Waiting to be the "perfect candidate" or even a "strong candidate" is like chasing the wind. There is always a better, stronger candidate. If you meet the minimum requirements, try it. If you don't (obviously do not). One weak component will not disqualify you. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to be better, but if you can pay for the applications - try it! 

Maybe I say it because of an experience I had. I was told by an undergrad advisor not to apply for a prestigious fellowship (Fulbright) because of my 3.52 GPA which would "essentially disqualify me" (though this was not an official requirement) I applied anyway (with some amazing LOR and a very strong SOP) and I earned the fellowship which has since changed my life.

1 hour ago, mcamp said:

Pennsatucky, 

I see what you're saying, but I guess I just disagree. Waiting to be the "perfect candidate" or even a "strong candidate" is like chasing the wind. There is always a better, stronger candidate. If you meet the minimum requirements, try it. If you don't (obviously do not). One weak component will not disqualify you. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to be better, but if you can pay for the applications - try it! 

Maybe I say it because of an experience I had. I was told by an undergrad advisor not to apply for a prestigious fellowship (Fulbright) because of my 3.52 GPA which would "essentially disqualify me" (though this was not an official requirement) I applied anyway (with some amazing LOR and a very strong SOP) and I earned the fellowship which has since changed my life.

Yes, but a 3.52 GPA is not bad. A GRE less than 300 is and, as far as I know, does not satisfy the minimum requirements of most graduate schools. 

I don't know about you, but when I gamble and lose a lot of money, I get down on myself and sometimes wish I had someone yelling in my ear to stop! 

Edited by Pennsatucky

25 minutes ago, Pennsatucky said:

Yes, but a 3.52 GPA is not bad. A GRE less than 300 is and, as far as I know, does not satisfy the minimum requirements of most graduate schools. 

I don't know about you, but when I gamble and lose a lot of money, I get down on myself and sometimes wish I had someone yelling in my ear to stop! 

Pennsa, 

I see what you're saying. I just assumed everyone applying is making sure they at least meet minimum posted requirements for a school- if one applies and does not meet those minimum requirements - then I 100% agree - it is a waste of money and a silly endeavor. If you don't meet the minimum applying to 9 (or even 100) schools won't make any difference. If you meet the minimum, then there's a chance and a better chance if you apply to more. 

Pennsutucky, 

I understand where you are coming from, and as a sometimes brutality honest person I can relate to wanting to give "tough love" but there is a point where it becomes too much. Criticism should be constructive, not judging. In YOUR opinion applying to multiple schools with a less than stellar application is not a good choice. In YOUR opinion that money would have been better spent on GRE prep. But insulting her choices is counterproductive. There's a way to give tough love without being insulting. Tone is hard to convey over text so it'd perhaps best to  air on the side of caution when it comes to "tough love". JMHO

Anyone who gambles at all has little room to critique frivolous spending, lol!  Disclaimer: I mean this with no disrespect - but I am a very blunt person.  Because of this characteristic of mine, I try to never type anything I wouldn't feel comfortable saying to someone's face.

My current school (which is relatively competitive - in CA with an acceptance rate around 18% last cycle) has accepted many students with GREs below 300.  Some even lower than the OP.  I don't think all is lost - and regardless, what's done is done at this point.  It's a waiting game for all of us.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me first say that it has been a while since I have logged on to this forum and I have just now seen all of these comments. While I do appreciate the honestly, I do NOT appreciate the negativity and offensive comments that were made. I am a senior and really just simply did not have the time between work, school and extra curricular activities to spend almost $1000 on GRE prep classes AND reschedule another test date before application season. I am taking my chances applying this term and if it doesn't happen, so be it. I will take a semester off and try again at another time. And with my time off from school, THEN I will take time to prepare myself for the GRE's once again. Let me just say that I am a HORRIBLE test taker and have terrible test anxiety, especially when it comes to standardized testing. To me, standardized testing should not play an important role in judging an individual's abilities. I do realize that some of the schools I applied to do rely heavily on the GRE, which I think is absurd. But regardless, I'm hoping that they take into account all of the other things on my resume/application that I have to offer. I will also say that although my GRE schools are on the lower end, they do STILL fall into the ranges that I've found on ASHA's edfind for each school I've applied to (if they didn't fit within that range, I would not have applied). I posted on here again simply to gain advice/insight from people who HAD NOT commented before, possibly from individuals who are new to the thread or hadn't seen my old post. 

Thank you again to everyone for the KIND support and honesty. But to those of you who are here to simply criticize me, please refrain from commenting on my posts any further.