life for a phd student in biology

jzhan118

Okay so maybe this is a dumb question... But PhD students don't really have winter breaks and summer breaks, do they? 

I'm an international student, and now Im a little bit freaking out that it's not possible to go home in the next 5 years:(:(:(

This is my understanding as I'm not enrolled yet, but you are able to take breaks, just unlike those in undergrad and more equivalent to those in the work-place. Depending on your advisor it might be possible to take 2 weeks to fly home and visit family and friends, promising to take some reading/do some writing while you're away.

Don't worry, you will have the opportunity to visit home at some point during your PhD!

21 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

This is my understanding as I'm not enrolled yet, but you are able to take breaks, just unlike those in undergrad and more equivalent to those in the work-place. Depending on your advisor it might be possible to take 2 weeks to fly home and visit family and friends, promising to take some reading/do some writing while you're away.

Don't worry, you will have the opportunity to visit home at some point during your PhD!

2 weeks wow, I suppose it's way better than none...

You get breaks (sort of). Depends on your PI but usually the major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 1-2 wks in the summer). I usually don't take off Thanksgiving (due to travel constraints). Just know that the more "breaks" you take, the longer it will take you to complete. 

My program gives us 10 days of vacation, Black Friday and the week between Christmas and New Years off ( campus is officially closed so we get off). Also depending on your program, you might get a longer winter break in your first year based on how your rotations are laid out. 

Edited by ballwera

Grad school is very similar to a full time job. Many schools have vacation or break policies that mirror Faculty/Staff vacation and break policies. 

You generally get time off when campus is officially closed (school holidays, not class holidays) as well as another 1-2 weeks as your "vacation" time. 

Many international students I know choose to work through campus closures and "save" time once a year to go home for a longer period of time, which is also perfectly acceptable. 

• 1 month later...

I have a very different situation with my supervisor. We can work from anywhere we'd like as long as we are still productive. I'm currently on the other side of the country from my lab. True 'vacation' though... that's a different story. Definitely something to discuss directly with your PI. 

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on the school. The first year when I was doing coursework and rotations I got scheduled breaks and vacations. I think I got 2 weeks in winter, 1 week in spring, and then major secular and Jewish holidays (my school is affiliated with a Jewish University). After I declared though it's pretty much like a full time job. I get at least 2 weeks vacation (some PIs allow for more depending on circumstances and how productive you are), but I have to ask for permission to take them. On the plus side, I can take them whenever I want.

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2016 at 11:46 AM, kimmibeans said:

It depends on the school. The first year when I was doing coursework and rotations I got scheduled breaks and vacations. I think I got 2 weeks in winter, 1 week in spring, and then major secular and Jewish holidays (my school is affiliated with a Jewish University). After I declared though it's pretty much like a full time job. I get at least 2 weeks vacation (some PIs allow for more depending on circumstances and how productive you are), but I have to ask for permission to take them. On the plus side, I can take them whenever I want.

Yep, same for me. I got undergrad breaks during the first year and since joining a lab, I just ask for time off from my PI directly. It's basically a job, though my PI is great and super flexible about not only taking vacation, but also taking time off to teach or interview, etc.