2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

6 minutes ago, tarofang said:

It's actually Family Day, a statutory holiday, in most of Canada. 

I was interested so I googled family day and came up with this: http://www.statutoryholidays.com/family-day.php

"Common Family Day activities include skating, playing hockey, snowboarding/skiing and going to various winter festivals. But the best best thing about of Family Day must be beaver tails and stuffing ourselves silly with pancakes with maple syrup!" 

Could this website *be* any more Canadian? lolol

Just now, philosophe said:

I was interested so I googled family day and came up with this: http://www.statutoryholidays.com/family-day.php

"Common Family Day activities include skating, playing hockey, snowboarding/skiing and going to various winter festivals. But the best best thing about of Family Day must be beaver tails and stuffing ourselves silly with pancakes with maple syrup!" 

Sorry for asking, but what aboot that is Canadian, eh? 

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

Lol. And today, Canadian schools don't get to politely apologize to applicants they reject. 

2 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

how did you get that out of his answer to my question?

Because you asked "Is it A or B?" And he answered "Yes". And when people do that they mean that both can happen. I also just have prior knowledge that both can happen so I already knew the answer. 

2 minutes ago, bravesball said:

Because you asked "Is it A or B?" And he answered "Yes". And when people do that they mean that both can happen. I also just have prior knowledge that both can happen so I already knew the answer. 

that's not what I asked, even by the most literal interpretation of my question. the preceding word 'whether' indicates that the 'or' that follows is in its either this or that sense.

Just now, ZoliK said:

that's not what I asked, even by the most literal interpretation of my question. the preceding word 'whether' indicates that the 'or' that follows is in its either this or that sense.

Ugh. Please tell me whether [it is the case that] a or b. 

Yes, it is the case. 

Also, it's meant to be a joke, but also an answer. 

Just now, MVSCZAR said:

Ugh. Please tell me whether [it is the case that] a or b. 

Yes, it is the case. 

Also, it's meant to be a joke, but also an answer. 

how about 'Please tell me whether [it is the case that] a [or rather] b

3 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

It's just a common convention that answering "Yes" to an "either or" question means that both can happen. 

10 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

Well... it just happens that the logical "or" applies in this case. Both happen, so in the truth-functional sense of "or" we can truthfully answer "yes" to your question.

Beyond that, it depends on the program. Some all at once. Some staggered. So, to answer your question again: yes.

Edited by dgswaim

4 minutes ago, bravesball said:

It's just a common convention that answering "Yes" to an "either or" question means that both can happen. 

1 minute ago, dgswaim said:

Well... it just happens that the logical "or" applies in this case. Both happen, so in the truth-functional sense of "or" we can truth fully answer "yes" to your question.

Beyond that, it depends on the program. Some all at once. Some staggered. So, to answer your question again: yes.

Okay I accept it. Joke sustained. Lol.

If you had to guess would you say that Wisconsin is going to send a whole flood of rejections tomorrow as well?

4 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

Okay I accept it. Joke sustained. Lol.

If you had to guess would you say that Wisconsin is going to send a whole flood of rejections tomorrow as well?

My guess would be no, but that's based on almost no evidence at all... sooo...

Just now, dgswaim said:

My guess would be no, but that's based on almost no evidence at all... sooo...

You may have no evidence but I do... my evidence is that you just guessed no... Guesses count for a little at least right?

3 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

if you like cheesy jokes, sure

This is like when Sims first meet and everything is going well and then the one sim says something weird and the other gets red and says some sad sounding sim thing and the relationship is basically down voted. That's how I'm feeling with this conversation.