2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

On 3/11/2016 at 9:05 AM, anliopardsneachta said:

Is it a bad idea to enroll as a special student for a year at my top choice institution if I'm rejected?

Can you afford (not "afford with loans" or "afford with certain spending restraints" but "afford," full stop) to pay a year's full-freight tuition in exchange for a fairly small chance of getting to move into the program officially? If yes, then I suppose there are worse things you could be doing. There are almost certainly a lot of better things you could be doing, though.

Edited by MentalEngineer

A few CUNY rejections are on the results pg, one says solicited but the other has no notes. If this was you, did you solicit as well? 

I emailed them last week and they said they were still finalizing... this is my last school, can't wait for the process to be done with. 

6 hours ago, philosophe said:

A few CUNY rejections are on the results pg, one says solicited but the other has no notes. If this was you, did you solicit as well? 

I emailed them last week and they said they were still finalizing... this is my last school, can't wait for the process to be done with. 

The other CUNY rejection also says it was solicited. The note is in the one above it.

Well. I've recieved the rest of my rejections (assuming Stanford doesn't reply to my solicitation with a miraculous offer). Looks like I'm dependent on getting in off the waitlists at Indiana and Syracuse; so, please, if you can free up a spot for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. This was an incredibly rough year for folks coming out of MA programs—seemingly unprecedented.

5 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Well. I've recieved the rest of my rejections (assuming Stanford doesn't reply to my solicitation with a miraculous offer). Looks like I'm dependent on getting in off the waitlists at Indiana and Syracuse; so, please, if you can free up a spot for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. This was an incredibly rough year for folks coming out of MA programs—seemingly unprecedented.

I don't know how much it'll help you (if at all) but I'll be removing myself from the Syracuse waitlist. Best of luck to you!

8 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Unless Indiana completely blows me away during my visit I'll probably decline my spot from high up on the wait list. (Also, we have the same interests, which should help).

5 hours ago, hot.glass said:

I don't know how much it'll help you (if at all) but I'll be removing myself from the Syracuse waitlist. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

Unless Indiana completely blows me away during my visit I'll probably decline my spot from high up on the wait list. (Also, we have the same interests, which should help).

Thank you, both, for these updates. They certainly are encouraging. And despite my being in the middle of these waitlists, your declining your offers can only serve to help.

Edited by Dialectica

Toronto Schools 
Should I email the schools , does anyone have any success with getting a response? 
I have not heard from 3/4 schools yet, I am getting worried that I may not get in anywhere!
Checking the portals daily for an update .... I have checked the feed on the acceptances so far and some have heard back already! 
I have confirmation emails to state my applications were received in January. The portals today say 'no decision yet' or 'under review' 
Ahhhhh what are everyones thoughts on this?! 

So Far:
March 14 I was rejected from Concordia For Masters in Art History
Waiting to hear back from:
Ryerson University for Film and photography Preservation and Collections Management, Masters
York University Art History Masters 
University of Toronto For MVS Curatorial 

On 3/14/2016 at 6:30 PM, MentalEngineer said:

Can you afford (not "afford with loans" or "afford with certain spending restraints" but "afford," full stop) to pay a year's full-freight tuition in exchange for a fairly small chance of getting to move into the program officially? If yes, then I suppose there are worse things you could be doing. There are almost certainly a lot of better things you could be doing, though.

Good thing I won't have to because I got in to my first choice program after all! Hurrah. 

On 3/17/2016 at 8:37 PM, Rachellem said:

Toronto Schools 
Should I email the schools , does anyone have any success with getting a response? 
I have not heard from 3/4 schools yet, I am getting worried that I may not get in anywhere!
Checking the portals daily for an update .... I have checked the feed on the acceptances so far and some have heard back already! 
I have confirmation emails to state my applications were received in January. The portals today say 'no decision yet' or 'under review' 
Ahhhhh what are everyones thoughts on this?! 

So Far:
March 14 I was rejected from Concordia For Masters in Art History
Waiting to hear back from:
Ryerson University for Film and photography Preservation and Collections Management, Masters
York University Art History Masters 
University of Toronto For MVS Curatorial 

I was waiting to hear from a UofT (app was due December 15) PhD program and literally just got an email from the assistant director of the program yesterday, pretty sure because I emailed my person of interest. Couldn't hurt to email/call?

9 hours ago, Davidspring said:

I presumed a rejection from Stanford.  But since I haven't received a notification yet, I'm wondering if they are still sending out rejections.  Any thoughts or information about this?

I solicited last Friday and a got a prompt response - the committee is "still working on" official letters, but if you haven't heard from them you were not admitted or wait listed. 

3 hours ago, Siegfried42 said:

I solicited last Friday and a got a prompt response - the committee is "still working on" official letters, but if you haven't heard from them you were not admitted or wait listed. 

Thanks for this information--that's good to know.  I look forward to receiving my last rejection =_=

On March 26, 2016 at 0:32 PM, SamStone said:

I just saw that there were some rejections notifications from Boston University this week, but I haven't heard anything from them. I'm curious if anyone has also not heard anything from them.

Just to reply to myself (in the case that anyone else is in this situation): I emailed the director of admissions at Boston University and he told me that I am on a 'secondary waitlist'. I'm guessing that there are pretty low chances any sort of offer will come of this, but its nice to know whats going on instead of just speculating.