1 year out, advice help?

Hi all,

This might be a litttle repetitive but I tried to read all relevant topics before posting this so hopefully it's not. I need a little advice.

I'm a student who is looking to get an MPH (in some cases it's just an MS). I'm looking to get a degree in Global Health or Health Communications. That just might help paint a small picture. The other stuff is probably more important.

In college I wasn't the best student and didn't take my education seriously. So I took 2 years off, worked, and then returned (At a different school). I was able to graduate successfully. Successfully being I took 70 credits, the remainder, at my new school and graduated with a 4.0. For context, my first schools gpa, the first 50 or so credits (not all transferred), was a 1.7

Obviously I missed this cycle for most schools and that's okay, I'm more curious does anyone have any advice to boost my chances? I know SOPHAS will combine my GPA and yes, my last 60 (which i know some schools pay attention to move heavily) are a solid 4.0, but my combined gpa is low. around a 2.8 or something (i think it's actually a 2.7 when things break down). That's below the 3.0 cut off so I'm not sure if it's even worth applying?

For some other information

Applying for: 80% Health Comms programs, 20% Global Health

URM (AA LGBTQ Male)
Major: Ba Communications (Focus on New Media)
UG GPA :1st school 1.7, 2nd school 4.0
MAJOR GPA: 4.0
LAST 60 credits 4.0
GRE: V 170, Q 168, W: 4.5
Strong professional LORs, work in political communications
Plethora of volunteer experience
Americorps Member
2 published short stories (i've heard mixed reviews if that helps)

Any advice would be great. I didn't list the schools I'm considering but if that matters, I can. I was thinking of volunteering once a week for 5 hours a week over the next year at something health related?

I think you still have a chance. Your GRE scores are very good, your GPA is not that low (there is a sub-3.0 thread in here where quite a few ppl with lower than a 3.0 got into schools). The SOPHAS breaks down your GPA on your application so the schools you apply to will see that your Major GPA was a 4.0, your social science GPA is whatever, etc etc. So, with the breakdowns does make things better. Also I got into an MS program with a 2.9 (my last two years were 3.8 and better, my second year was a mess). However, I was required to obtain a certain GPA my first year (it was a conditional admittance and I was told I couldn't get a C and my GPA had to be a 3.5, which is higher than what's usually required of a Master's student). So It's very possible. 

If you can get more experience in the health field, that would be great but as you currently stand, you do have a shot. Some schools have rolling admissions so you can still apply this year. Look for the Sub-3.0 thread. that can give you some tips.

Good luck. 

Hey fellow former AmeriCorps member here! You can definitely get into a program with your stats. Strong letters of rec can go a long way with applications that might been weak on stats. Schools want to be convinced that you can handle the coursework, but I feel that public health values experience far more than previous academic outcomes. With your GRE scores you put yourself in a small group of applicants. One school worth considering is Emory. They have a scholarship just for former AmeriCorps and Peace Corps members. I didn't end up going there, but I've only heard good things about the program.