NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

FYI: THE website notification from last year, taken from the 2009 thread

"FastLane will be unavailable Thursday, April 9 from 11:00PM ET until 1:00AM ET on Friday, April 10 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

That was a good find. Now I think when they say 5am they really mean it :-( Here's hoping for an email.....

How many times can I refresh school webmail before I develop repetitive strain, or break my e-mail?

You know, if you have firefox there is a plugin that will automatically check your email every second :D

I mean that will automatically refresh the page every second.

Edited by Coffee_Wine

This is like waiting for Santa. You just went to bed and know he isn't coming for hours, but you still think about it every five seconds. The worst part is that thinking about Santa keeps you from falling asleep and makes it take longer to get the gifts.

The main difference is 90% of us will get coal.

The uploading of results to The List takes around 2 hours. We will start to get emails at the end of those 2 hours, with all emails completed by 5am. Last year people received emails between 1am and 4-5am. At 5am, after everyone theoretically has had a chance to view personal results via email, The List will be posted.

.. thoughts?

[edit] SORRY bioturbonick, totally just said what you said already. I seem to be doing this a lot today.

No problem, you also added some valuable intel for those who are new this year, like me!

You know, if you have firefox there is a plugin that will automatically check your email every second :D

:) thanks for the tip! i'll have to look into that.

at the moment I'm checking school's webmail on an iphone, I've stopped delivery to a gmail account that I have a notifier app/push enabled for.

I'll stop lurking and put my CS knowledge to good use. Here's a shellscript to check the site every 15 seconds and start beeping continuously when it goes back up to get your attention... modify it as you like.

#!/bin/sh

while [ true ]; do

curl -f https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

break;

fi

sleep 15

done

while [ true ]; do

echo "\a"

done

Being in Computer Science I am very confused with the NSF's system. Sending 2000 emails on any server would take a matter of minutes, and uploading review sheets will also take a minimal amount of time. In fact if they did it like most websites do, to the users the rating sheets should appear to be uploaded instantly. I don't get why their systems would have to be down for 6 hours to publish the results.

On another point they should really announce results like some of the conferences I have written for do. They give an exact date and time that emails will be sent out. Even if that date was April 15th it would be better than waiting for their mysterious date. :-) Waiting a few extra days would be less painful than never knowing when the results will be announced.

Edited by Mokon

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[EDIT: Wait. This... might be a bad sign. Has anyone NOT gotten one?...]

[EDIT 2: Okay, I'm just crazy paranoid. Hah. Sorry.]

Edited by Guest