NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

I never did figure out how they know who your advisor is, other than you saying "My advisor, ..." In my program it's really not that clear cut. We get assigned to a person as your "advisor," but it's only on paper to approve course choices and give you general program info when you start the program. The advisor who you work with on your research is usually someone different in the department who you switch to on paper later when you begin the dissertation process, and in my case I have two, one for each part of my research (the fieldwork and the laboratory). So, in my application, I mentioned them as the "professors with whom I most directly work," and then I elaborated on how exactly I work with them. Those who have previous experience in this, do you know if this will sit ok with NSF, and do you know exactly how they find out who your advisor/s are?

By advisor, I'm sure people are referring to research advisor, which I suppose would only apply to undergraduate seniors or 2nd-year graduate students, for whom research advisor identity is obvious based on letters of recommendation.

Edited by Krypton

I never did figure out how they know who your advisor is, other than you saying "My advisor, ..." In my program it's really not that clear cut. We get assigned to a person as your "advisor," but it's only on paper to approve course choices and give you general program info when you start the program. The advisor who you work with on your research is usually someone different in the department who you switch to on paper later when you begin the dissertation process, and in my case I have two, one for each part of my research (the fieldwork and the laboratory). So, in my application, I mentioned them as the "professors with whom I most directly work," and then I elaborated on how exactly I work with them. Those who have previous experience in this, do you know if this will sit ok with NSF, and do you know exactly how they find out who your advisor/s are?

That's a good point actually. The way programs work are so different. Some programs, like mine, you have to express interest in who you want to work with when you apply. There has to be room in the lab and funding available. But, I forgot other programs do it differently. I hear there are some programs out there where you have a ton of advisers.

I don't think they would find out who your adviser is, unless you offer it up in the essays or a letter of recommendation comes from him/her. I'm sure plenty of applicants leave it out, because it's not always as well defined as it is in my program. No worries.

By advisor, I'm sure people are referring to research advisor, which I suppose would only apply to undergraduate seniors or 2nd-year graduate students, for whom research advisor identity is obvious based on letters of recommendation.

Yep. I was referring to mentor/PI/research adviser. 1st year grad students, too :-)

I am not sure how much this matters, but did you all notice how the latest notice says "GRFP" will not be available as opposed to "Fastlane"? I feel like in the past whenever this scheduled maintenance has happened it has been a larger system thing and it said "Fastlane". I wonder if "GRFP" means they are posting for us tonight...I hope so!

It only says GRFP on the GRFP page. On the FastLane main page, it still says "FastLane will be unavailable... "

However, if you click on any of the various fastlane pages, none of them specifically say they will be down, except the GRFP page, even though the main fastlane page says it.

Heh, I expect that's because the GRFP is the only page with enough traffic that they would want to reiterate their point of FastLane being down, whereas for everyone else, the homepage notification would probably suffice!

so who's gonna pull an all-nighter tonight? :)

Meee. Mostly because I haven't finished a take home midterm because I've been so distracted with this blog. Is there a chat room for this thing or something?

I'm sooooo glad that I have found another bunch of myopically obsessed applicants for this unicorn. I'm trying to tell myself that this is like buying a lottery ticket, great if you win but entirely expecting not to, but I think we all know how well that works...BTW as if everyone doesn't know, nothing new on the announcement front (in the last 10 minutes or so)

Yep, gonna be up all night. Sitting on a research paper I was supposed to submit this morning that I'm way too paralyzed to work on because of my NSF-related anxiety.

I went and got a 6-pack to prepare myself :) There's either a celebration if I win or a pity party if I don't!

I'm on beer #2.

Oh! That would be nice to have the choice to sit up and hit the refresh button until the sun burns through the window, but I have no such choice tonight. One of those "have to" kind of things :(

Oh! That would be nice to have the choice to sit up and hit the refresh button until the sun burns through the window, but I have no such choice tonight. One of those "have to" kind of things :(

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm trying to do/finish a take home midterm that's due tomorrow.