NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

I'm actually surprised that the DOE and DOD fellowships don't get nearly as much attention. Anyway i have joined the ranks of those totally debilitated by the wait.

Must…finish….prospectus ….

Not to be creepy, but I know who you are! Good luck.

Anyway, last year they issued awards during one of these "schedule maintenance" periods in case anyone was wondering.. I have a feeling that this is essentially the same thing. Or.. a hope, at least

Edited by Hekog

I just called and the woman told me "later this week," but couldn't elaborate if that meant tomorrow or closer to Friday. Anyway, probably nothing today...but I'm still hoping for a 3am update!

Anyway, last year they issued awards during one of these "schedule maintenance" periods in case anyone was wondering.. I have a feeling that this is essentially the same thing. Or.. a hope, at least

This may be, but to be fair, last year there were a number of periods of "scheduled maintenance" during which they DID NOT send out announcements as well. However, last year we never had as much assurance as we have this year that awards will be announced some time this week, so its hard to make any real estimations. I'm just saying, it is not a sure thing that awards will be announced tonight.

I just called and the woman told me "later this week," but couldn't elaborate if that meant tomorrow or closer to Friday. Anyway, probably nothing today...but I'm still hoping for a 3am update!

ugh, i really hope tomorrow counts as later this week, but somehow i think it doesn't.

Not to be creepy, but I know who you are! Good luck.

Just a little creepy... i wish i could return the sentiment that i know who you are.

I've been cruising this site for about a week. I couldn't resist any longer. I've registered!

After seeing the new message on the fastlane site (maintenance), I really think tonight's the big night. From what I've read on this board, announcements are often made after 12, the site goes down for a few hours, and voila. The timing is right on, I'll be hanging out with my computer tonight and I don't think I'll be alone, will I?

omgomgomg

ok so last night while clicking around randomly, I went to the "award offers and HMs list" page. Remaining on the original page (i.e. where it says 2010 awardees not available yet), I clicked on "export to Excel". One heart attack later, I saw that it had loaded all the 2009 awardees and HMs into an Excel sheet.

BUT when I did the same thing just now, the excel page has been made blank!

ok that is all. [retreats back to lair]

What is the URL for this site?

My friend who works at the NSF offices told me that they have a random number generator. At the press of a button, it generates a random integer between 1 and 250. Starting April 1st at 9am, they press the button on the hour, twenty-four hours per day. They release the results if and only if the number 195 comes up. (195 because the NSF was founded in 1950.)

My friend who works at the NSF offices told me that they have a random number generator. At the press of a button, it generates a random integer between 1 and 250. Starting April 1st at 9am, they press the button on the hour, twenty-four hours per day. They release the results if and only if the number 195 comes up. (195 because the NSF was founded in 1950.)

hmmm I don't know if I believe that. Are you sure your friend wasn't joking? That would mean it could take up to 10 days and I think they want to get them up as soon as they can, because a lot of applicants need to know if they have funding before April 15th.

I think the program announcement said something like 1600 though, didn't it?

Yes, but Congress provided additional funding to the appropriations bill, bringing the approximate number of fellowships this year up to 2000. I'm sure there are more posts with relevant details and links in the early pages of this thread...

hmmm I don't know if I believe that. Are you sure your friend wasn't joking? That would mean it could take up to 10 days and I think they want to get them up as soon as they can, because a lot of applicants need to know if they have funding before April 15th.

lol, it was a joke. Notice the April 1st in there.

That's a joke, right?

And if not is that with or without replacement?

with replacement, haha

Well that means we may never know!!!! Hahaha. And if I win an award I'll share my app with whoever emails me their's asking for pointers. Then I'll at least get to see the treshold so I know if I ever end up advising. Seems like a fair trade, right? I'm a civil eng student, fyi.

Edited by btown

Quick question for all of you: I didn't submit GRE scores because I hadn't taken the GRE when the applications were due. I couldn't take the GRE until after the applications were due for personal reasons. I know the GRE is optional, but will the fact that I didn't have scores to report sink my application?

Of course, I have GRE scores to report now, but I assume it's too late.

Quick question for all of you: I didn't submit GRE scores because I hadn't taken the GRE when the applications were due. I couldn't take the GRE until after the applications were due for personal reasons. I know the GRE is optional, but will the fact that I didn't have scores to report sink my application?

I'm wondering the same thing, too. I chose not to report my GRE scores because they weren't spectacular (730 V, 640 Q) and I was already in a Ph.D program at the time. I hope that didn't negatively impact my chances. :/

Definitely too late for the GRE scores. I read somewhere (and I have no clue where) that a rater didn't think the applicant's GRE scores were high enough. This applicant never even sent them in! Weird.

Definitely too late for the GRE scores. I read somewhere (and I have no clue where) that a rater didn't think the applicant's GRE scores were high enough. This applicant never even sent them in! Weird.

Not to freak anyone out, but I think the general advice is to submit your GRE scores no matter what. Last year my advisor forced me to submit mine (which were a dismal combined 1210) and not a single reviewer even mentioned them (or how terribly low they were). He told me that not submitting them would make the reviewers think that I had abnormally low scores (which, in my opinion, I did) but I suppose it is possible to do worse than a 1210.

On the upside, despite those scores, I still got an HM last year and that was applying as a senior to a field completely different from my undergrad major.

Not to freak anyone out, but I think the general advice is to submit your GRE scores no matter what. Last year my advisor forced me to submit mine (which were a dismal combined 1210) and not a single reviewer even mentioned them (or how terribly low they were). He told me that not submitting them would make the reviewers think that I had abnormally low scores (which, in my opinion, I did) but I suppose it is possible to do worse than a 1210.

On the upside, despite those scores, I still got an HM last year and that was applying as a senior to a field completely different from my undergrad major.

So I'm screwed then? :)

Re: Not submitting GRE scores...

I went to a lecture from someone who's been on the GRFP review panel for 20 years, and she said not to bother submitting your score if it's under 1300.

Even so, like so many other things we're bringing up here, I think the best answer here is that no one really knows whether submitting or withholding a subpar GRE score will impact your chances of getting an award.

this is subjective just like the review process! i know people who have gotten it who did NOT submit their scores. also, the reviewers at my university who have for many years been in charge of the pre-submission internal review process actually advise everyone applying to not even think of sending gre scores unless they were absolutely fabulous. in other words, they say no score is way better than a less-than-fabulous score. my point: some reviewers may think negatively about a score-less application and others won't think anything at all.

either way, we are hours from knowing what each of our reviewers thought, or assumed, about our scores!