NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

I'd love if it was an April Fool's joke in the sense that they were sending out notices tomorrow instead of early next week. After last year I feel like the owe it to us to get the results out ASAP.

I don't really think anyone would mess around with anything as serious as this. At least I would hope not.

I actually think the fact that some of us are taking so seriously something that we cannot change right now may be a good reason to joke about it. I've always thought that if you take yourself too seriously, you just become a joke for everyone else. I seriously considered posting this morning that I talked to NSF and they said they wouldn't post any results until June just to lighten things up a bit!

As Slorg and beachedotter said, we will all find a way to manage with or without the fellowship, although it may be more difficult. (Although I had to be reminded of this yesterday because I tend to stress about things when I can't plan ahead.) I think I may actually prefer not knowing it'll be soon because I just check my email even more.

So.... where do I find this link to posted review sheets that everyone is talking about? I'm not seeing a place for it anywhere on the "Manage My Application" page.

You have to go to www.nsfgrfp.org, and at the bottom of that page there is a link to "view application rating sheets". It's not within fastlane.

I seriously considered posting this morning that I talked to NSF and they said they wouldn't post any results until June just to lighten things up a bit!

As Slorg and beachedotter said, we will all find a way to manage with or without the fellowship, although it may be more difficult. (Although I had to be reminded of this yesterday because I tend to stress about things when I can't plan ahead.) I think I may actually prefer not knowing it'll be soon because I just check my email even more.

Considering what happened last year (results came out on May 19 for some of us), results coming out in June may not have been as off-the-wall as one would have thought!

I agree totally. I don't like the extra anxiety / anticipation that comes with knowing that the notification is coming soon. It puts one through a lot of unnecessary thought loops. I'd rather just normally check my email one day and see the notification there instead of looking for / expecting it.

Is the cost of education ($10,500) exclusively for tuition? For example, I already have a full tuition scholarship + stipend in addition to a one year fellowship through another NSF funded program... since my tuition is already covered by the school, can the cost of education be used to text books or a laptop if I needed one?

Is the cost of education ($10,500) exclusively for tuition? For example, I already have a full tuition scholarship + stipend in addition to a one year fellowship through another NSF funded program... since my tuition is already covered by the school, can the cost of education be used to text books or a laptop if I needed one?

yes - it can be used for anything school related

Actually, I don't think that is accurate. Most schools will actually deduct the $10,500 from what they normally will pay towards your tuition, then they cover whatever is left (which for most private schools is considerable). Your school may have a different policy, but I doubt any school wants to continue funding your tuition if you are being offered money from NSF. In fact, while the stipend goes direct to your pocket, the cost-of-education money is paid to the school directly according to the NSF. In other words, ask your school, but don't count on getting an extra $10,500 for books and laptops.

Edited by watson

Also, I may be wrong but I don't think that you can be funded by two federal sources at the same time. For example, this came up for me because I couldn't be funded by both an NIH training grant and my advisor's NIH grant.

Also, I may be wrong but I don't think that you can be funded by two federal sources at the same time. For example, this came up for me because I couldn't be funded by both an NIH training grant and my advisor's NIH grant.

Yes, I realize that, in the event I'm fortunate enough to get the GRFP, the other fellowship will be postponed until after the three years provided by the GRFP, or alternately, I'll defer use of the GRFP for a year and use the other fellowship for my first.

Additionally I found the stipulation that the cost of education goes to the school and if the student is already receiving a scholarship, the school may provide the student with those funds for books, travel to conferences, laptops, or other educationally related costs.. but the school is not required. So it looks like it could be a nice bargaining chip to get conference travel funded without having to apply to additional grants.. or at least text books potentially.

Good luck to everybody!

I will be surprised if the results are posted before next Friday. Every year they seem to be posted on Fridays and I suspect they do that because it reduces their call volume when people have two days to deal with their decisions. How excruciating to think we have to wait another week!

I will be surprised if the results are posted before next Friday. Every year they seem to be posted on Fridays and I suspect they do that because it reduces their call volume when people have two days to deal with their decisions. How excruciating to think we have to wait another week!

Facebook page now says, "notifications are expected to be sent out next week!! fingers crossed and good luck!!"

So I think next Friday is a good guess.

Facebook page now says, "notifications are expected to be sent out next week!! fingers crossed and good luck!!"

So I think next Friday is a good guess.

What Facebook page? I am a fan of National Science Foundation (NSF), but I have never found updates about GRFP on that page.

Email...

Thank you for your interest in the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP).

We will be sending out notifications to all applicants by the end of next week. We appreciate your patience.

A change from "we anticipate", "we hope", "we expect" to "we will", is refreshing!

Yep, it is officially that "next week" that NSF has been making promises about. I had a dream a few nights ago that I bagged a GRFP followed by a dream that I did not get one last night. As the big reveal draws near...my confidence in waning. Even though I expect that reality will resemble my latest nightmare, I just want to know already!

Edited by syjmf

A friend of mine who got it last year told me her notification email was time-stamped 3 AM, so I suspect they enter all of the names and emails to be notified and then set it send the next day so the system starts spitting them out at midnight or something.

A friend of mine who got it last year told me her notification email was time-stamped 3 AM, so I suspect they enter all of the names and emails to be notified and then set it send the next day so the system starts spitting them out at midnight or something.

I remember this from last year. The results were posted late at night and then rejection e-mails were still being received hours later. I don't remember what happened with the 2nd batch though.

I finally had my first GRFP dream last night. I dreamt that I started in a new lab and then got my results late on a Friday night and told everyone about it. Later in the dream I realized that I had only dreamt that I had won (meta-dreaming?) and was embarrassed to tell everyone that there was a chance that I didn't actually win.

I remember this from last year. The results were posted late at night and then rejection e-mails were still being received hours later. I don't remember what happened with the 2nd batch though.

I finally had my first GRFP dream last night. I dreamt that I started in a new lab and then got my results late on a Friday night and told everyone about it. Later in the dream I realized that I had only dreamt that I had won (meta-dreaming?) and was embarrassed to tell everyone that there was a chance that I didn't actually win.

LOL That's quite a nightmare! I haven't had any GRFP nightmares yet -- I'm still having them about my first year of grad school, no room for new nightmares.

The 2nd batch e-mails were sent out around midnight last year.

I'm still having them about my first year of grad school, no room for new nightmares.

Came to say the same thing. Every night I dream of a brilliant new insight into my research, and wake up to find that it is either trivial or total nonsense. An NSF related dream would be a refreshing change.

I appreciate the traffic here, every time I see a new post I get a little adrenaline rush - maybe someone has NEWS. :)

Good luck to all, we're almost there.

Edited by Steven