NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

at this point my hands are starting to hesitate slightly every time I type in my password to access my email even though it's not quite April yet.

I just called NSF and asked if there was any possibility of the awards being announced today, and was told "No. We will release them within the next week." I have a feeling they won't be announced until next week. NSF is weird. You know, usually, these kinds of groups like to overestimate the deadline so that people aren't calling them and they don't look like they are late...but with NSF, it seems they are always underestimating the deadline. So early April doesn't mean April 1-5, it means everything before April 15. Bummer. I don't understand why it takes them so freaking long to do this.

I just called NSF and asked if there was any possibility of the awards being announced today, and was told "No. We will release them within the next week." I have a feeling they won't be announced until next week. NSF is weird. You know, usually, these kinds of groups like to overestimate the deadline so that people aren't calling them and they don't look like they are late...but with NSF, it seems they are always underestimating the deadline. So early April doesn't mean April 1-5, it means everything before April 15. Bummer. I don't understand why it takes them so freaking long to do this.

Well I remember taking exams and then wondering why it took professors so long to get work graded and back to us. Then I TAed a class and realized just how much work it is to review all those exams and return grades in a timely manner. I expect a similar effect is in operation here.

Even though I am aware that the people that will be posting the results do not work at 12:27 AM on April 1st, I can't help but obsessively check the website anyway. I am plagued by thoughts of intense doubt, interrupted by bits of confidence in my application. Sigh. I just want it over with!

Even though I am aware that the people that will be posting the results do not work at 12:27 AM on April 1st, I can't help but obsessively check the website anyway. I am plagued by thoughts of intense doubt, interrupted by bits of confidence in my application. Sigh. I just want it over with!

Actually, I think last year both rounds were posted around 2am after the site temporarily went down for "maintenance".

Actually, I think last year both rounds were posted around 2am after the site temporarily went down for "maintenance".

That's absolutely correct. So, honestly, it could happen at any time. Lord knows why we all thought we would wait till 2:00am last year, but there was plenty of us who did, and posted the results to this site straight away. But, as was stated, it's officially "early April", so where's my friggin' notification already?

For those who applied last year (or those who read all 10^12 pages of last year's thread):

How does the notification work? Do they send you an email that says whether you've won or not? Or do they just send you an email to let you know results are in so that you can go to the website and look?

Now that it's April, I think we can all start obsessing even more :rolleyes:

For those who applied last year (or those who read all 10^12 pages of last year's thread):

How does the notification work? Do they send you an email that says whether you've won or not? Or do they just send you an email to let you know results are in so that you can go to the website and look?

Everyone gets an e-mail saying whether or not they won the award. But I think in previous years, the information was posted on the website just before e-mails were sent out. And I believe a couple of years ago the rating sheets were available briefly before any e-mails were sent out.

Just to balance out the nervous people, I wanted to say I'm not anxious about this award. It will come out when it comes out, and the results will be what they are. Embrace the zen!

...Not to increase anyone's heart rate...but I just checked to see if ratings sheets were posted. The site is down (Page not found: 404), which means that NSF is probably in the process of uploading everything.

it's been like that for a while.. check the older posts in this topic.

...Not to increase anyone's heart rate...but I just checked to see if ratings sheets were posted. The site is down (Page not found: 404), which means that NSF is probably in the process of uploading everything.

And not to decrease anyone's heart rate, but that has been that way for a few weeks now.

It's been 404 for the last week confusedChicken. Geez, you'd think they'd like increasing traffic flow to their site. I mean, how many banner-ad revenue-generating websites would KILL to have as many clicks on their pages as we're giving NSF? And they go and 404 us... sheesh! ;)

Just to balance out the nervous people, I wanted to say I'm not anxious about this award. It will come out when it comes out, and the results will be what they are. Embrace the zen!

Thanks for posting this. We are all breathing and thriving now without the fellowship. When the majority of us find out that we have been declined, we will have lost nothing, and we can go on breathing and thriving. This doesn't mean I am not obsessing about the notification. I do, nonetheless, think it's helpful to remind ourselves of this. Thanks again.

Edited by beachedotter

Hi All

Just to pass on some potentially new info, I just spoke with someone at the call center and they said results are expected to go out early next week. So, we have a full weekend of anxious waiting ahead of us!

When I applied I figured it'd be just a sweet line on my CV, and now it turns out I actually need the award to be able to do what I want for a thesis project. The wait is actually making me go even more grey.

Hi All

Just to pass on some potentially new info, I just spoke with someone at the call center and they said results are expected to go out early next week. So, we have a full weekend of anxious waiting ahead of us!

When I applied I figured it'd be just a sweet line on my CV, and now it turns out I actually need the award to be able to do what I want for a thesis project. The wait is actually making me go even more grey.

What do you think their definition of early is? I guess Monday or Tuesday? So soon!

Hi All

not sure if I would be mad or just laugh if this new info was just an April Fool's joke...

I guess in either case, I'd just wait it out.