NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

I've been having dreams this week about getting the award. It makes getting up in the morning and facing day after day of waiting even harder. Grrrr.

My money's on the thread growing by.. hmm.. 8 pages?

I already accepted an offer to a grad school, so now all I have to worry about is this. I didn't really worry about graduate school admissions, I knew I'd get in at least somewhere. But for this? I'm more than making up for not worrying now! :P Just a little anxious...

Last year's thread was like 100pgs before announcements wasnt it. It was really big!

There were some exceptional circumstances last year though... if there are no weird delays this year, it should be shorter.

There were some exceptional circumstances last year though... if there are no weird delays this year, it should be shorter.

We already had a delay this year due to the snow. They also delayed it some the year before last. I expect to hear at least one more delay. It is the government.

Does anyone know the dates and times when the awards were announced the past few years? One thing I've learned about DC is that the agencies usually have certain days when they try to announce, hire, hold press conferences, etc, while the rest are work days. So my guess would be that NSF also has its preference, and we may be able to figure out a good guess at the day of the week and time they'll announce. Passes the time while we wait at least... :)

Edited by Language Lover <3

I've been lurking these threads for 2 years (two time applicant... no luck last year), but I figured I'd finally stop in and say good luck to everybody during the waiting game!

I'm betting on a Friday too (a few of you mentioned that above). April 2nd is Good Friday, right? If that's the case, it will probably be the 9th...

I've seen notification dates posted in last year's forum but I'm not sure how accurate they are. This is my third and last year applying and I'm sure of my notification dates in previous years:

2008 - April 2 (Wed, rejected :( )

2009 - May 19 (Tues, received HM after long limbo status <_< )

I've seen notification dates posted in last year's forum but I'm not sure how accurate they are. This is my third and last year applying and I'm sure of my notification dates in previous years:

2008 - April 2 (Wed, rejected :( )

2009 - May 19 (Tues, received HM after long limbo status <_< )

Wow, May 19?! That's incredible! Do you know what the circumstances were that took NSF so long to notify you of your honorable mention (Congrats on that, btw)?

Wow, May 19?! That's incredible! Do you know what the circumstances were that took NSF so long to notify you of your honorable mention (Congrats on that, btw)?

Last year was plagued by the effects of the stimulus plan. In mid April NSF notified all those who had definitely won a fellowship along with those who had not. The rest of us (who had at least gotten honorable mention) waited while NSF budgeted out additional winners. But, while certain disciplines had additional fellowships awarded, many others like mine did not have any other winners after a month of waiting. So, that was a little disappointing but I'm hopeful this year because the increase in fellowships appears to be across all disciplines :) .

Last year was plagued by the effects of the stimulus plan. In mid April NSF notified all those who had definitely won a fellowship along with those who had not. The rest of us (who had at least gotten honorable mention) waited while NSF budgeted out additional winners. But, while certain disciplines had additional fellowships awarded, many others like mine did not have any other winners after a month of waiting. So, that was a little disappointing but I'm hopeful this year because the increase in fellowships appears to be across all disciplines :) .

Ouch. That must have been very unpleasant -- all of the waiting! Good luck this year. I'm a first timer, so I am going into this with low expectations :)

Actually, that month of waiting was kind of exciting. And I'm proud of my HM even though it's not a GRF. I don't have a stellar background like many of the applicants.. I went to a mid-tier university and had a 3.6 GPA. My proposal, broader impacts, and letters of recommendation got me an HM.

Edited by dalzir

Like many others I am waiting anxiously for NSF and for the new DOE fellowship, the SCGF ... my advisor seems WAY over-confident in my abilities to win this. I'm one of his few grad students who is a US citizen, so he was really excited that I was eligible to apply. He sent me the following e-mail after he finished my letter of recommendation:

* my name *, Yes I found it so I have submitted a letter for you. Now you

are all set. Just wait for the good news. * my advisor *, 11/11/09

"Just wait for the good news"?? I'm so nervous!!!

Long-time listener first time poster :)

Like many others I am waiting anxiously for NSF and for the new DOE fellowship, the SCGF ... my advisor seems WAY over-confident in my abilities to win this. I'm one of his few grad students who is a US citizen, so he was really excited that I was eligible to apply. He sent me the following e-mail after he finished my letter of recommendation:

* my name *, Yes I found it so I have submitted a letter for you. Now you

are all set. Just wait for the good news. * my advisor *, 11/11/09

"Just wait for the good news"?? I'm so nervous!!!

Haha, I registered to post this but my advisor was actually quite the opposite and was very cynical about my chances. He said "so... what do you think your chances are as a white male?"

He's right, though, and I'm not getting my hopes up. My stats are pretty competitive: (3.8 undergrad, 3.6 at a much harder grad school, 1450ish GRE with an 800 in math and a few first author publications with my undergraduate and graduate labs). However, I have no broader impacts, so I'm not holding my breath :). This will be my first and last post, so all I would like to say is I hope these fellowships go to the right people and that no truly innovative person gets screwed over by lazy/incompetent reviewers.

Long-time listener first time poster :)

Haha, I registered to post this but my advisor was actually quite the opposite and was very cynical about my chances. He said "so... what do you think your chances are as a white male?"

He's right, though, and I'm not getting my hopes up.

Considering that underrepresented minorities only get 10% of the awards, and women 55%, I would have to say your advisor is wrong.

For women, only certain fields give extra consideration (STEM fields).

The way the judging is set up, being an under-represented minority or a female in STEM fields only helps you if you fall on the border between HM and getting a fellowship.

Unclear to me, then, why I got HM last year when someone with lower scores -- I saw this person's rating sheets -- got the fellowship.

I think it's quite bold to make a statement like this. There are other factors that go into play in addition to the rating sheets. That person may have been qualified in other areas in ways that clearly exceeded your credentials. Making the assertion that this person only won because of some level of underrepresentation due to a minority status is pretty arrogant.

People may often wonder how in the world I win the awards that I do. It's because I remain rather quiet about my achievements. I'm sure they go around thinking exactly what you appear to think - they have no idea all that I've accomplished in my life, and I certainly don't feel the need to go around explaining to people that must make these sorts of justifications for themselves because they did not win an award.