NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

Unclear to me, then, why I got HM last year when someone with lower scores -- I saw this person's rating sheets -- got the fellowship.

You're making the rest of us white guys look bad. Did you entertain the possibility that s/he simply wrote a better proposal than, you even though your scores on the rating sheets were the same? There are definitely high "Very Good" and low "Very Good" ratings. Apart from that, there isn't a direct 1-1 relationship between your ratings and the funding decision: even if you're in the same field, my understanding is that some raters are more difficult than others and that is taken into account when funding decisions are made.

I don't necessarily agree with parts of the review criteria, but if I don't get an award I won't hang myself on the quota cross.

I should know better than to respond, but regarding the last two posts, things I actually did NOT do:

1) State that the person who got the fellowship only won it because of some underrepresentation. I happen to think the person in question is unbelievably smart.

2) Make any normative claim (good, bad) about a policy that may or may not exist whereby factors other than the rating sheets determine funding.

3) State that I think the person who got the fellowship deserves it less than I do.

4) Reveal my race -- why do you suppose I'm a white guy?

5) Hang myself on a cross of any sort. (That would be terribly dramatic.)

Things I DID do:

1) Convey an observation that I do not understand.

Maybe I sounded more bitter than I meant. Anyway I think it is now cleared up! So thanks!

Edited by Aiwansx

I should know better than to respond, but regarding the last two posts, things I actually did NOT do:

1) State that the person who got the fellowship only won it because of some underrepresentation.

2) Make a normative claim about a policy that may or may not exist whereby factors other than the rating sheets determine funding.

3) State that I think the person who got the fellowship deserves it less than I do.

4) Reveal my race -- why do you suppose I'm a white guy?

5) Hang myself on a cross of any sort. (That would be terribly dramatic.)

Things I DID do:

1) Convey an observation that I do not understand.

The observation was that -- although I am not in a STEM field -- someone whose rating sheets had strictly lower scores than my own received the fellowship, while I did not. This observation is in tension with the claim made in the previous post from "zilch" that extra consideration occurs only in STEM fields. If it is true that awards are not ONLY a function of rating sheets, well then that would explain the anomaly, wouldn't it? There; we can all rest easy. Thanks, everyone, for clearing that up!

Fair enough, I read the thread too quickly and thought you were apathetic (the user) following up a previous post (hence white guy). Sorry about that. The attitude I described (and mistakenly ascribed to you) is a pet peeve of mine, and unfortunately not uncommon.

It's pretty clear that the reviewers also rate you with a hidden percentile score, which presumably is what the NSF actually uses to award fellowships. There is no one-to-one relationship between broader impact and intellectual merit sub-scores and whether or not you win a fellowship.

This is my second year applying. I've been following this blog religiously, just as I did last year, and I've decided to speak up finally. Last year was certainly a nightmare, but I'm optimistic still, as none of the other outrageous delays are applicable now. I'll throw my money down on Friday April 2nd. Best of luck to everyone else in funding limbo. Cheers.

This is my first year applying and also my first year as a Ph.D. student. I ended up reading about 100 pages of last year's grfp thread and have now made it to the end of this year's thread. Good luck everyone, and I hope we find out soon!

This is also my first year applying, and I'm a second year PhD student. I found out about this fellowship right after the deadline passed last year, so this is my one shot at it! I wish everyone the best!

And I'm going to say April 12th (but I really hope it's April 2nd)!

Edited by Language Lover <3

This is also my first year applying, and I'm a second year PhD student. I found out about this fellowship right after the deadline passed last year, so this is my one shot at it! I wish everyone the best!

And I'm going to say April 12th (but I really hope it's April 2nd)!

ACK!! Latest Facebook update says:

just a reminder... fellowship awardee notifications should be sent out around the middle of april. hold on just a little longer!!

Didn't they say the beginning of April last time? :o

ACK!! Latest Facebook update says:

just a reminder... fellowship awardee notifications should be sent out around the middle of april. hold on just a little longer!!

Didn't they say the beginning of April last time? :o

http://www.nsfgrfp.org/ still says early April. If I had to deal with their inbox/Facebook messages, I'd probably just say announcements were coming in July so I could get some peace :)

As long as the international component of your research contributes to/is necessary for your field of study, I don't see why it would decrease your chances. (Though I don't see it necessarily increasing your chances either.)

I have literally been pulling my hair out waiting for April to get here and now they tell me we won't know until THE MIDDLE OF APRILangry.gif! It's probably time I bought a wig...

Maybe, but there's also the possibility that the facebook site is less susceptible to bureaucracy than the official site. I'm pretty sure the official site will be updated accordingly within the next couple of days. I wonder what caused the unanticipated delay...

Just posted to GRFP Facebook page:

THIS JUST IN... The official word from NSF is that award announcements should be made in early April!!

I hope so!

"should be" is refreshingly non-committal B) Points to NSF for honesty!

April cannot come soon enough!!

Just a question for you guys... if I took my GREs in August 2005 (did my master's, worked for a bit, now going back to school in the fall) and I wanted to apply for this fellowship or the NDSEG or whatever else NEXT fall, would I need to take my GREs again?? They would expire in August 2010, right? Is there any way around taking them again, if I wanted to apply for these fellowships?

thanks for all your help!

Just a question for you guys... if I took my GREs in August 2005 (did my master's, worked for a bit, now going back to school in the fall) and I wanted to apply for this fellowship or the NDSEG or whatever else NEXT fall, would I need to take my GREs again?? They would expire in August 2010, right? Is there any way around taking them again, if I wanted to apply for these fellowships?

I know little about the NDSEG, but with the NSF GRFP, I am fairly certain that you can't apply if you already have your MA. Sorry.

I know little about the NDSEG, but with the NSF GRFP, I am fairly certain that you can't apply if you already have your MA. Sorry.

With the exception of a "major change" in field I think?

It might be worth an email to the GRFP people about the GREs, during the application process they were very responsive and helpful to me.

GRE's are only valid for 5 years