NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

The other night, I had a nightmare that I received the award.

At this point, I'm not even certain I'll stay in grad school (for the Ph.D), so I'm hoping *not* to get it. If I do get it, I'm afraid it will be much harder to walk away from that beautiful stipend and do what I really want to do. Good luck, everyone. Here's hoping for another HM or an outright rejection.

The other night, I had a nightmare that I received the award.

At this point, I'm not even certain I'll stay in grad school (for the Ph.D), so I'm hoping *not* to get it. If I do get it, I'm afraid it will be much harder to walk away from that beautiful stipend and do what I really want to do. Good luck, everyone. Here's hoping for another HM or an outright rejection.

I would take it if you don't want it. lol. jkjk

Hmm. I haven't had any GRFP related dreams so far. I guess I've been too busy / pre-occupied with research / school (been averaging 12 hour days all week), or my subconscious has totally given up on the prospect of me winning so it doesn't bother bugging me about it.

I also had the pleasure of enjoying the waiting game last year. I decided to sit a year out and matriculate next year. I'm hoping to hear as soon as possible. It really plays no role in my grad school decision, but maybe once I hear I'll be able to pick a grad school. Some certainty about next year would be nice.

I hope so! C'mon NSF!!! This is nerve wrecking...

Nah. They're not going to work weekends just to get things out faster. If they were ready, they'd have gone out Friday night. It's probable that they'll go out the night after they finalize everything, which I'm hoping early this week = Monday or Tuesday nights.

Okay, was just told by NSF that "the results will be hopefully posted at the beginning of this week so hopefully within the next couple of days". So, I am guessing tomorrow night. What I don't get is how they don't know when they will post even a day or two before it happens...I understand not being able to predict weeks in advance, but they can't figure out if they will be done with what they have to do by the end of the day? For a place that loves deadlines, they sure are disappointing when it comes to meeting them.

Okay, was just told by NSF that "the results will be hopefully posted at the beginning of this week so hopefully within the next couple of days". So, I am guessing tomorrow night. What I don't get is how they don't know when they will post even a day or two before it happens...I understand not being able to predict weeks in advance, but they can't figure out if they will be done with what they have to do by the end of the day? For a place that loves deadlines, they sure are disappointing when it comes to meeting them.

It'd make Monday so much less Monday if they'd just get them out today...

It'd make Monday so much less Monday if they'd just get them out today...

hahaha, so true! Looks like I'd better get another cup of coffee and continue to try to convince myself that the outcome doesn't really matter ;-)

For a place that loves deadlines, they sure are disappointing when it comes to meeting them.

As I understand it, there is a disconnect between the people who decide who wins the awards and the people who run the website and tell us the decisions. And they don't seem to communicate that well all the time.

Hmm. I haven't had any GRFP related dreams so far. I guess I've been too busy / pre-occupied with research / school (been averaging 12 hour days all week), or my subconscious has totally given up on the prospect of me winning so it doesn't bother bugging me about it.

Same here for me, although I have now started to obsessively check this forum and the NSF rating sheet site for any updates.

I think I read in last year's thread that your department finds out about the award before you do? Is this true in all cases, because my advisor hasn't said anything to me. I'm sure he would say something if he knows anything.