NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

Check to see if schools will reconsider now that they don't have to pay nearly as much for you. It's worth a shot.

Ratings sheets don't come up until later tonight/tomorrow morning, IIRC.

Yes, and with all due respect-- everyone can see now what an arbitrary system this is.

Alas I did not get one but I am happy biggrin.gif There are so many people here who seemed to want it more than I did and this makes it so much easier for me to decide where to go and what to do. I'm starting to become comfortable with my mediocrity. Embracing the underachiever in me...

Congratulations to everyone who did win!

Drat. Name = not on list.

Anybody know if they release more names later?

The suspense is too much.

I'm guessing it's complete. If you log in, you can see if you have been awarded it b/c your screen now says "welcome fellow".

Drat. Name = not on list.

Anybody know if they release more names later?

The suspense is too much.

I think they are done announcing names. Last year they did two batches because additional funding was announced right in the middle of the process. This year they knew how much funding to allocate in the first go around.

Despite knowing that I didn't put in as much work as I should have (compared to my grad school apps), I'm still a little disappointed that I didn't even get an HM. Anyone else feel similar?

I feel exactly the same way. And I did put a lot of work into mine. Since there were only 10 awards given in my field, I Googled the recipients, and they're all from the same two concentrations... my concentration received zero. :(

oh well, i'm sick of school anyway...

I hear that. I was all go-get-'em when I submitted my application, but the more I think about it, the less I want to stay for a PhD. Not getting an award just feels like another straw in the "I'll probably quit after my Master's" hat.

I know I said I would only make one post, but I just woke up to find that I had won. Holy moly was that unexpected...

I guess maybe for those who read this thread at some future date, I am a 2nd year grad student.

Edited by apathetic

I. can't. breathe. I got an award!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit... total disbelief. I had pretty mediocre GREs and even the HM felt like a pipe dream!! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

Well, definitely won't be sleeping tonight!

Does anyone know the % of applicants who get it on their first (second, etc.) application, and/or the relative % success of people who apply as undergrads, 1st years, 2nd years, etc.? I'm trying to do some post-hoc rationalization, and stats would quell (or aggravate!) my current state of melancholy.

They're up! They're up and I got one!!!!!!

Email was sitting idly open at 1:45 am and I noticed I got new mail - I was about to close the tab before I saw the GRF email. I definitely did NOT expect this given my field and the fact that I didn't even get honorable mention last year.

Congrats to everyone else who got one too!

has anyone else been rejected from all schools AND received an NSF grant? Any idea if I can defer for a year? AAAAAHH WTF WTF i need some whiskey.

you can defer. you can also email the schools and let them know. they'll likely let you in with an NSF fellowship.

Half an hour ago, my roommate walks downstairs. He announces:

1) The IRS gave him a $400 tax rebate.

2) They said he owed them a penalty of $75 for late filing.

3) He just got an email saying he won the NSF.

I log on to the NSF website, download the Excel file, start scrolling.... I won, too!

This was my third and final year applying, and I hadn't even won an HM before. I guess those two journal publications (my first ones) that I got last year helped...

Edited by zxcv

Yeah, most people I know put honorable mention on the CV while they were still in graduate school. You're still in the top 20-30% of applicants, which is something to be recognized (although this year the percentages are bound to change - I noticed that they gave 2,000 awards this year).

Edited by juilletmercredi

Just woke up at 3am (east coast) to see that I got an HM...not going to lie, I'm slightly disappointed since this was my one and only shot, but better than nothing for sure. NRSA here I come...

Well, I did not get one. BUT I would still like to view my ratings sheets! Can anyone access theirs? The website says it will be down until awards are announced....which has definitely happened.

Edited by syjmf

Well, I did not get one. BUT I would still like to view my ratings sheets! Can anyone access theirs? The website says it will be down awards winners are announced....which has definitely happened.

I cannot access mine : /