Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

Hi everyone,

congratulations to those who have made it to the interviews. Within 24 hours of getting rejection letter from wisconsin, I got interview from slc. I booked for 3/22 and have requested for skype interview. It has been 5 days and they have still not replied. This is my first time applying to slc, jhu, upitt and wisconsin. Here is my profile

GPA - 3.3................final year biotechnology undergraduate

GRE - v 155/ q 165 / a 4.0

toefl - 102

I have two months of shadowing and counseling experience. Active in sports and loads of voluntary work. No particular advocacy experience but i am currently working on educational development by team games with very young children from poor families. I have excellent recommendations. I also have 2 months of experience working as lab assistant in hematology, microbiology and histo-pathology laboratories. As a six month project i am working with several families affected with a rare genetic condition, doing both counseling as well as mutation testing and risk analysis myself. I have also attended about 5 national and international conferences about genetic counseling.

Having so little opportunity to learn genetic counseling in India since there is no formal training in entire country......this is the most i could do in four years of my under graduation. I hope all this qualifies me for the programs.

and nope....didn't hear anything from jhu and upitt.... slc hasn't replied on my email.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, but glad to have found my people. Also eagerly waiting to hear from UC Irvine and CSU Stanislaus. 

A little about me:
GPA: 3.5 at UCSD, Class of 2013

GRE: 161/165/5.0

I currently work in biotech as a microbiologist and do volunteer work at a DV/SA shelter. Hope to see people at some interviews in the near future. Will anyone be at UNCG on Feb 26? 

Congratulations on the good news and good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear back!

22 hours ago, geecee92 said:

@weilongli1 I emailed the UCI program director last week and she said they should be sending out letters this week. Makes it so much more suspenseful, knowing if I don't hear from them by tomorrow! 

I have to keep remembering they're on the west coast and will be sending them later in the day than I would expect here on the East Coast!

@Jello310 i actually booked my mt sinai interview for the day before my SLC interview, so i'll be staying at a hotel (one of my parents is coming as well). but i think the student accommodation is probably the cheapest option if you can make it work...you might be sleeping on a couch though haha 

Congrats to all of you!! I didn't get an e-mail tho :( I should assume that I'll be getting a rejection e-mail right? Although I thought the rejection letters came on the same day based on the statistics from past results. And also I didn't upload my result last year, but I got the rejection letter on the same day people got interviews. 

@geecee92 I got mine early this morning! I'm hoping to go on March 14th because that's my spring break week (which is why I have interviews also on the 16th and 18th). Did you email them to schedule the interview? I got an out of office notification.

@weilongli1 The director was so nice and personally emailed me to let me know that i landed an interview before letters were officially sent. 

I had told her beforehand I had an interview for vancouver on the 10th and thus the 14th would be the best for me as I'd be in the west coast, so she already got her admin to reserve me a spot for that date!! I would definitely call the admin, because shes not responsive at least with my experience! Hope to see you on the 14th!!!

4 hours ago, MaeGC said:

Hopkins is calling people today to let people know there status. Best of luck!

Thank you for posting this.  My class started at 2:30 and the call came at 2:37 and then I realized I should walk outside and call back :P

@geecee92 You're a male applicant, right? What are you (and any other male applicants on this thread!) planning on wearing to the interview? I'm terrible at translating what level of dress is across genders (everything I have seen is for women, and I wouldn't look good in a dress and heels). I'm assuming a suit and tie, but sometimes I assume something and then it turns out everyone else is a little more casual!