Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

@gc09621 I got asked a scenario question about testing children but not disclosing positive results to the children (trying to be vague but still give a sense of the question), which turned out to be an actual case that a current student just described in case conference the week before the interview. Not odd to be a scenario, but odd that it was such a recent actual case.

19 hours ago, SuitCase said:

@gcfc1989 What was Arkansas like?

@SuitCase I loved Arkansas! They have a state-of-the-art simulation center, and they do a lot of telemedicine, which I think is great because that seems to be the direction healthcare is moving in general. I also loved that they have an entirely student-run free clinic that operates in the evenings to accommodate work schedules of people who otherwise can't afford (or are ineligible due to illegal immigrant status) healthcare. The students were all so nice and happy, too.

22 minutes ago, gcfc1989 said:

@SuitCase I loved Arkansas! They have a state-of-the-art simulation center, and they do a lot of telemedicine, which I think is great because that seems to be the direction healthcare is moving in general. I also loved that they have an entirely student-run free clinic that operates in the evenings to accommodate work schedules of people who otherwise can't afford (or are ineligible due to illegal immigrant status) healthcare. The students were all so nice and happy, too.

I applied there and for some reason my application refused to submit! Disappointed.

8 minutes ago, SuitCase said:

I applied there and for some reason my application refused to submit! Disappointed.

@SuitCase Oh no! Did you contact anyone there directly to ask if they could take your materials via email or something?

6 hours ago, weilongli1 said:

@gcfc1989 I heard Arkansas has a program where students flew out to remote traveling clinics in the state? Is that a thing that happens, because that sounds awesome.

@weilongli1 Yep! You have the option of doing your entire 2nd year at away sites too, which appeals to a lot of people.

Do you think the interview pool of people is pretty small (a lot of people interviewing at many programs)? SL interviewed 99 people...I figure there is a lot of overlap. So it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

@SuitCase Well SL accepts like 30+ people, right? I think really qualified applicants definitely get multiple interviews, but nobody applies to all the programs, I'd wager there are more than 100 but less than 350ish interviewees total? I think most people who interview at multiple places will get at least one offer, even if it's from a waitlist. Staying hopeful!

@weilongli1 I'm a numbers person and playing with them makes me feel better, haha. In reality I know there are so many factors that play into an acceptance i.e you could interview badly at one place and great at another. I wonder how many spots total there are for the genetic counseling program in its entirety.

12 hours ago, SuitCase said:

@weilongli1 I'm a numbers person and playing with them makes me feel better, haha. In reality I know there are so many factors that play into an acceptance i.e you could interview badly at one place and great at another. I wonder how many spots total there are for the genetic counseling program in its entirety.

Something less than 300. This was a good article I read recently. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/18/473066953/more-people-seek-genetic-testing-but-there-arent-enough-counselors?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160418

The big day is TOMORROW! Honestly, I can't believe that it's actually here, since we've been waiting so long. It's been awesome to chat with other applicants because I was going crazy by myself, and it's good to know there are people like me out there! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Good luck everyone!! Gahhh it's really happening. I'm back in Korea, and it's already Monday for me. so it feels like I'm waiting extra longer and it's driving me crazy. 

5 hours ago, SuitCase said:

Think some acceptances/rejects will be automated at midnight?

I don't think so, at least all of the programs I interviewed at said they would call, unless it was a reject, and even then I think they're gonna push the button in the morning.

Edit: The anxious nervous feeling just kicked in. It's suddenly all too real!

Edited by weilongli1

All the best to other applicants out there! Remember: you have all worked so hard to get to this point, and should be proud of your accomplishments despite what the outcome is. This is an extremely competitive field, but if you stick with it and persevere you'll be successful! I for one, am so proud to be part of such a talented group of individuals, and look forward to the positive contributions each and every one of you will bring to the field!

meangirls.jpg