A conference presentation under review...to mention on CV?

Ziz

I know that when you have papers under review for publication you can/should mention it on your CV. However, what about when you are being considered to present at a conference? Is it still appropriate to mention it since you don't know whether or not you will be accepted?

I am debating the same thing.

I have a paper being under review for a national conference, but I won't know if it was accepted until December 31st. That is a month after all my other deadlines. I think I am going to mention it anyway. I can't imagine how it could hurt me. I think inserting a phrase about into my SOP would be much too awkward, and I am already struggling to keep it under the word limit.

Yeah that's why I'm confused too. On one hand, anyone can submit a paper so having it under review doesn't really mean anything. On the other hand, I have been out of academia for the past 2 years so I want to mention it mainly to show that I have kept an active interest and tried to remain involved in the academic world.

I think the SOP is a more appropriate place to mention this than the CV. After you're notified you've been accepted, if it's not too long after the deadlines, you can contact your schools and ask to send an amended CV that includes this conference presentation.

If I were you I would demur to mention it on my CV at this stage. If you let the departments know that your presentation is under review, they may want to contact you later on to see how things are going for you. It will be all good if they accept your paper. But if they don't, what would the implications be? I agree with fuzzylogician that it's more appropriate to send an amended CV that includes this conference presentation when everything is finalized.

Edited by peanuttheanthro