What to wear on campus visit for females? (with pictures)

June_cosmo

So I received campus visit invitation and am not sure what to wear. For male I know a shirt and khaki pants should do it, but not sure for women? I found these two on Amazon, but I feel is it too formal to dress as left and too informal (and old-fashioned) to dress like right?

Capture.JPG.2fdd0b232249e85b9fdc55b276b5        Capture1.JPG.967baf9c4d19231dc5181baf884

Since you are in earth/planetary science, I would personally say neither. I am in earth science, although geology not geography, and I would suggest dress pants and a nice blouse. If its cold... You could get away with a pantsuit, although gray or navy (ie not black) would help it be less formal. If pants aren't an option due to religion, or even preference, a business style pencil/suit skirt with a nice blouse like the one you have above would work, although all black can be formal. Try a different colored blouse instead.

I would definitely say no to the dress. I personally love wearing dresses, but unfortunately for women, dressing really feminine can make people have odd biases towards you in first impressions.

I don't think either is professional enough. You could maybe get away with a simple sheath dress and sweater (and stockings!) but those are too fancy/flirty I think. You don't have to wear a suit, but nice dress pants and a professional looking top (no lace or frills) would be a much safer choice.

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

Since you are in earth/planetary science, I would personally say neither. I am in earth science, although geology not geography, and I would suggest dress pants and a nice blouse. If its cold... You could get away with a pantsuit, although gray or navy (ie not black) would help it be less formal. If pants aren't an option due to religion, or even preference, a business style pencil/suit skirt with a nice blouse like the one you have above would work, although all black can be formal. Try a different colored blouse instead.

I would definitely say no to the dress. I personally love wearing dresses, but unfortunately for women, dressing really feminine can make people have odd biases towards you in first impressions.

Thanks! I think that's a good suggestion. I'm kind of leaning towards suit pants and a light blue long sleeve shirt with collar. Is it better to wear a white shirt or a color shirt?

if the suit I black go with colored. Black sit white shirt is the ultimate in formality. Think tuxedo lol.

Pant suits are usually considered a bit formal for campus interview days, but if its cold, I think they are fine. Bring a more casual outfit... Like khakis for if there id something like a bar mingle after (common in my field).

Also, if you don't actually own a pant suit. Just go with the khaki slacks and a nice blouse.

I'm in a Earth science department too and I think the left option would make you stand out as much more dressed up than the typical candidate. I think the right-side option would be a tiny bit more dressed up than most other applicants. I don't want to say "inappropriate" because it's no one's business how you dress. But if it helps, I hope the comparison to the typical amount of dressed up from candidates help.

One typical outfit would be to wear a blouse as a top. For the bottom, there are lots of options which can be summarizes as "at least as nice as a clean pair of jeans or better". So, many choose clean pair of jeans. Some will wear dress pants or a skirt. Many people also wear a scarf or a light sweater since it gets colder in the evening/early morning. 

Another typical outfit at my school (it's in a warm area) is a dress. Not like a cocktail party dress or a formal dress, but maybe a sundress if that's the right term? Or if it helps, pretend you are going to go to a restaurant with *patio seating* where the entrees are like $25-$40 each, and dress for that.

Ultimately, I say you should dress in an outfit that makes you feel comfortable and expresses yourself. I think what you have in mind (collared long sleeve shirt with suit pants) is a great choice. I don't think it matters whether you wear a coloured shirt or a white shirt. Pick the one you like best!

The women that come to our campus visits often wear jeans and a nice blouse/sweater.  Honestly, if you come in REI garb no one will judge you.  Takeruk's advice that wear what's comfortable. I'd probably wear some nicer clothes (I wore a nice button down and chinos), but honestly what you wear will be the last thing on peoples mind unless its outrageous. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!