Official Fall 2016 Interview Thread

1 hour ago, intotheairwaves said:

Just called Emerson's grad admissions office today and was told that they're going to start posting acceptances tomorrow or Friday and continue into the end of next week. Good luck, everyone!!

Oh my goodness thank you you're an angel 

3 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

Bummer :unsure: I hope you get in!! I'm glad @intotheairwaves told us they'll be posting acceptances over several days or I would be fuh-reaking out!

Aww thank you! I hope you do too! It's my second year applying and I got interviewed and wait listed last year so getting wait listed again would be heartbreaking 

1 minute ago, mayaella said:

Aww thank you! I hope you do too! It's my second year applying and I got interviewed and wait listed last year so getting wait listed again would be heartbreaking 

Ugh yeah that would be terrible. I most likely won't attend Emerson anyway, unless they come through with full funding (ha!). 

Is Emerson your top choice?

10 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

Ugh yeah that would be terrible. I most likely won't attend Emerson anyway, unless they come through with full funding (ha!). 

Is Emerson your top choice?

Yeah it definitely is. I love that program so much. It's like literally everything I want. Oh my god this waiting is making me so nervous! 

1 minute ago, mayaella said:

Yeah it definitely is. I love that program so much. It's like literally everything I want. Oh my god this waiting is making me so nervous! 

Yeah and it's so much worse now that other people have decisions! I've probably checked the portal 15 times since I saw that 

1 hour ago, BamaBelle said:

Yeah and it's so much worse now that other people have decisions! I've probably checked the portal 15 times since I saw that 

Oh my god I know I've been checking it like every 15 minutes haha. I just want to know! 

Anyone know if Emerson sent out all their acceptances today and rejections and wait list decisions go out tomorrow and Friday?? Freaking out over here...wish they had notified us all at once 

2 hours ago, chg38 said:

Anyone know if Emerson sent out all their acceptances today and rejections and wait list decisions go out tomorrow and Friday?? Freaking out over here...wish they had notified us all at once 

When I spoke to the person at the admissions office today, I kinda pressed the question of acceptances vs. wait lists/rejections, and she said not to worry if I don't hear anything by Friday. Also, looking back at the results page from last year, it seems like people were accepted in two batches nearly a week apart, February 26th-ish and March 4th-ish. I'm totally with you on wishing schools posted all the results at once, but I figure there's still hope based on past trends so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for all of us!

1 hour ago, intotheairwaves said:

When I spoke to the person at the admissions office today, I kinda pressed the question of acceptances vs. wait lists/rejections, and she said not to worry if I don't hear anything by Friday. Also, looking back at the results page from last year, it seems like people were accepted in two batches nearly a week apart, February 26th-ish and March 4th-ish. I'm totally with you on wishing schools posted all the results at once, but I figure there's still hope based on past trends so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for all of us!

This literally just gave me so much hope thank you 

Is anybody interviewing at Grand Valley State University this weekend?! I am, and I am getting nervous!  I also wanted to ask from the perspective of people who have already interviewed....what did you wear? I've heard one step above what you'd wear in the profession, and I also heard dress the same level as you'd wear in a clinic. I don't want to overdress or underdress! Knowing me I probably will overdress, but I just am curious because I have a few outfits in mind but I'm not sure which one I want! :wacko:

22 hours ago, koalalover1 said:

Is anybody interviewing at Grand Valley State University this weekend?! I am, and I am getting nervous!  I also wanted to ask from the perspective of people who have already interviewed....what did you wear? I've heard one step above what you'd wear in the profession, and I also heard dress the same level as you'd wear in a clinic. I don't want to overdress or underdress! Knowing me I probably will overdress, but I just am curious because I have a few outfits in mind but I'm not sure which one I want! :wacko:

When I had my interview at Gov State, everyone was dressed business casual: dress pants, cute top mostly. I wore a dress with short heels and didn't feel out of place. Don't stress :)

23 hours ago, koalalover1 said:

I know others might disagree, but I think the more professional the better. The only way you could "overdress" would be to wear a cocktail dress or tuxedo. I'd go with a skirt-suit for women and a matched suit for men in black, navy, or gray. (Of course I think a women could wear a pantsuit but unfortunately there can be some subtle negativity associated with that - it's 100% unfair, but each person can decide if their grad school interview is the moment to take on that stereotype or not). 

If others look more casual, that's okay! You stand out as the candidate who really takes this seriously. Dressing more professional also makes you look older / more mature. 

I've interviewed scholarship candidates for Fulbright and I've never thought "Wow, she/he looks overdressed" but on several occasions I've thought (or members of the committee have said outloud) "Did you know you were coming to an interview?" or "Are you taking this seriously?" 

I don't share that last part to be "scary" but rather because everyone has different standards / perspectives / expectations and so I think it is best to take the conservative route and avoid any confusion. 

Just now, mcamp said:

I know others might disagree, but I think the more professional the better. The only way you could "overdress" would be to wear a cocktail dress or tuxedo. I'd go with a skirt-suit for women and a matched suit for men in black, navy, or gray. (Of course I think a women could wear a pantsuit but unfortunately there can be some subtle negativity associated with that - it's 100% unfair, but each person can decide if their grad school interview is the moment to take on that stereotype or not). 

If others look more casual, that's okay! You stand out as the candidate who really takes this seriously. Dressing more professional also makes you look older / more mature. 

I've interviewed scholarship candidates for Fulbright and I've never thought "Wow, she/he looks overdressed" but on several occasions I've thought (or members of the committee have said outloud) "Did you know you were coming to an interview?" or "Are you taking this seriously?" 

I don't share that last part to be "scary" but rather because everyone has different standards / perspectives / expectations and so I think it is best to take the conservative route and avoid any confusion. 

Good to know! I have a skirt-suit that I got specifically for professional interviews and I've been nervous about that being too much! I mean it's not like I know any of the people interviewing (except if I get accepted they'll be future classmates!) but I didn't want to be "that person" who overdressed. I guess I can't really be too picky... having an interview chance is luck in itself! I most likely will aim for overdressing. I have dresses, too, and good pairs of heels, but I am thinking they are not dressy enough! And (sadly) I hardly own a pair of dress pants to save my life (that will definitely be changing if I get accepted to a program because I am not about wearing dresses every day to clinic!)

Just now, koalalover1 said:

Good to know! I have a skirt-suit that I got specifically for professional interviews and I've been nervous about that being too much! I mean it's not like I know any of the people interviewing (except if I get accepted they'll be future classmates!) but I didn't want to be "that person" who overdressed. I guess I can't really be too picky... having an interview chance is luck in itself! I most likely will aim for overdressing. I have dresses, too, and good pairs of heels, but I am thinking they are not dressy enough! And (sadly) I hardly own a pair of dress pants to save my life (that will definitely be changing if I get accepted to a program because I am not about wearing dresses every day to clinic!)

I think you're making the right decision :) 

I remember one candidate who was in Perú - we interviwed via Skype. He was wearing a full suit and tie and visibly sweating. As we were wrapping up the interview, one of the panelists asked about the weather/heat. He answered that it was sweltering but that the interview was such a big opportunity for him that he wanted to look as professional as possible. It was such a small, offhand comment - and who knows if it affected each panelists' decision - but I do know that he went on to win the fellowship. 

As for the future classmates - I don't think they'll remember either way :) 

On 3/16/2016 at 9:40 AM, mcamp said:

I think you're making the right decision :) 

I remember one candidate who was in Perú - we interviwed via Skype. He was wearing a full suit and tie and visibly sweating. As we were wrapping up the interview, one of the panelists asked about the weather/heat. He answered that it was sweltering but that the interview was such a big opportunity for him that he wanted to look as professional as possible. It was such a small, offhand comment - and who knows if it affected each panelists' decision - but I do know that he went on to win the fellowship. 

As for the future classmates - I don't think they'll remember either way :) 

And the interview went as well as it could have for me! Just waiting to hear back until next week sometime :) They said by next week Friday we should know. Thanks for the advice! 

On 3/16/2016 at 7:37 AM, cosmicmorgan said:

When I had my interview at Gov State, everyone was dressed business casual: dress pants, cute top mostly. I wore a dress with short heels and didn't feel out of place. Don't stress :)

This was the case for mine, too! It was a mixture of anywhere from that to skirt-suits. Guess I was way too worried! Haha. Hoping for the best with results next week! :)

On March 16, 2016 at 7:29 AM, mcamp said:

Wait what???  Women can't wear pantsuits without subtle negativity?  Just wondering where this comes from.  Not trying to give you a hard time at all, but this surprises me.  Or maybe just because I'm from a big city? 

11 hours ago, koalalover1 said:

This was the case for mine, too! It was a mixture of anywhere from that to skirt-suits. Guess I was way too worried! Haha. Hoping for the best with results next week! :)

Did they tell you that you would hear this upcoming week? That's exciting!! (and not a crazy long wait! :))

6 minutes ago, cosmicmorgan said:

Did they tell you that you would hear this upcoming week? That's exciting!! (and not a crazy long wait! :))

They said either by this coming Friday or the following Monday they will send emails out! Not sure how I will cope if I end up on a sixth waitlist.... :wacko: hoping for the best! 

Edited by koalalover1