Gallaudet University and ASL

Hi everyone,

I am planning on applying to Gallaudet University. I was planning on taking ASL for my major but due to a change in degree requirements, I wasn't able to take it this term. I know that GU doesn't require American Sign Language as a prerequisite for admission, but I feel not having experience and exposure is a serious, if not fatal, disadvantage. I am wondering, however, how feasible that a) GU would actually take me into consideration as a candidate for their program and b) that I would be able to actually participate in the program and navigate GU while learning ASL. 

Is it even worth applying? If so, how can I frame my lack of experience in a positive way? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't think it's critical that you have ASL experience to get into Gallaudet.  I think it's much more important that you show your interest in ASL and the Deaf community.  Or perhaps in some broader way, like an interest in language, or in working with people with disabilities?  You have to take three levels of ASL while in the program, unless you place out.  But it seems like you have to be fairly proficient in order to place out of even the first level!

I didn't apply to Gallaudet, but I did go to their open house.  Are you applying this year (2/15 deadline)?

They offer summer intensives. I considered going last year while sending my hard-of-hearing child to their summer camp but ultimately chose a different parent-child workshop. I think if you expressed your intention to enroll in one prior to starting in the fall that would definitely help your application. http://www.gallaudet.edu/ccs/summer-asl-courses.html

Thank you both for your insight! 

SLPgradstudent- I am applying for the 2/15 deadline. I have all the materials in besides the SOP, but my lack of ASL experience caused a moment of hesitation. I like your idea of showing interest in ASL & the deaf community, and I will also express my desire to learn as much as I can before the program starts. I am particularly interested in language-based learning disabilities, as well as auditory-processing disorder. Both of which I think ASL could be useful in providing an alternative method of communication for.

On 2/11/2016 at 8:56 PM, honeydewthis said:

Thank you both for your insight! 

SLPgradstudent- I am applying for the 2/15 deadline. I have all the materials in besides the SOP, but my lack of ASL experience caused a moment of hesitation. I like your idea of showing interest in ASL & the deaf community, and I will also express my desire to learn as much as I can before the program starts. I am particularly interested in language-based learning disabilities, as well as auditory-processing disorder. Both of which I think ASL could be useful in providing an alternative method of communication for.

I can see that.  When I was at the open house, I definitely felt like the minority, since it seemed like most people on campus are either Deaf or fluent signers.  With my one semester of ASL, I was nowhere near proficient enough to have a conversation.  But I have a strong interest in languages and language development, as well as having grown up in an area with a prominent Deaf community.  I ended up running out of time for apps and had to choose between GW and Gallaudet.  But I would have applied had I had the chance.  It really is a great program, and unique too!

You got this @honeydewthis!

6 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I can see that.  When I was at the open house, I definitely felt like the minority, since it seemed like most people on campus are either Deaf or fluent signers.  With my one semester of ASL, I was nowhere near proficient enough to have a conversation.  But I have a strong interest in languages and language development, as well as having grown up in an area with a prominent Deaf community.  I ended up running out of time for apps and had to choose between GW and Gallaudet.  But I would have applied had I had the chance.  It really is a great program, and unique too!

You got this @honeydewthis!

I also had to decide between Gallaudet and GW. I ended up applying to GW because I was worried about this as well. I've heard good things about the ASL classes at GW so I am excited about that too. My advice would be showing your willingness to learn ASL and about Deaf culture, and not being afraid to make mistakes (when learning to sign). I think you are on the right track! 

17 hours ago, flowerbloom said:

I also had to decide between Gallaudet and GW. I ended up applying to GW because I was worried about this as well. I've heard good things about the ASL classes at GW so I am excited about that too. My advice would be showing your willingness to learn ASL and about Deaf culture, and not being afraid to make mistakes (when learning to sign). I think you are on the right track! 

Congratulations on your acceptance to GW!!!  You applied to about a dozen more programs than I did!

1 hour ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to GW!!!  You applied to about a dozen more programs than I did!

Thank you! I see that you applied as well. Hope you get good news! I applied to a lot of places because I wanted options in terms of programs and also funding. 

12 hours ago, flowerbloom said:

Thank you! I see that you applied as well. Hope you get good news! I applied to a lot of places because I wanted options in terms of programs and also funding. 

Thanks!  Best of luck to you, getting into schools and making your decision!!!