Contacting Admissions

Nat_Foot

1 hour ago, Nat_Foot said:

CUNY: "Admissions decisions will be released by mid to late March." Woefully unhelpful. UGHH

Nat, did you call the department directly? I would think they would be more helpful than the central admissions

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

Nat, did you call the department directly? I would think they would be more helpful than the central admissions

If Nat had called CUNY central, they would have said all the applications are being considered for next year instead. CUNY central is a Kafkaesque nightmare. 

29 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

CUNY central is a Kafkaesque nightmare. 

I daresay this applies to all admissions generally! Our philosophy departments are analogous to Das Schloss :P

Edited by Siegfried42

6 hours ago, gughok said:

Same

So, MIT said they might finish up today, and nobody's posted an acceptance since then... so either the person(s) remaining didn't know about gradcafe, or I still have a chance...

I haven't been accepted or rejected yet, unless my email is just delayed by several hours. I'm wondering if I'm waitlisted. Anyone else in the same boat?

15 minutes ago, Another applicant said:

I haven't been accepted or rejected yet, unless my email is just delayed by several hours. I'm wondering if I'm waitlisted. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am! I think they probably just forgot about me.

I just heard back from Vanderbilt. It was a solicited response. DGS said that they're not done with the process. However, they've already admitted some applicants and have an "alternate candidate list". Although I'm not on that list but not rejected either, but I guess this is a convoluted way of saying you're gonna get your rejection soon. Anyway if someone declines their offer, they'll start to notify the WL, I think!

Just now, matchamatcha said:

What do people write in a soliciting email?  Something like "wondering about the status of my application"?

I keep feeling like if I email them first, then they'll change their mind on whatever limbo waitlist I might be on and reject me.

I opened with something akin to "I apologise for pestering you and for letting impatience get the better of me... but...."

1 minute ago, manchesterano said:

I opened with something akin to "I apologise for pestering you and for letting impatience get the better of me... but...."

That helps!  I was unsure of how to start the email.  Maybe I'll wait until Tuesday to see where I stand, and perhaps start emailing people then.

1 hour ago, matchamatcha said:

That helps!  I was unsure of how to start the email.  Maybe I'll wait until Tuesday to see where I stand, and perhaps start emailing people then.

This is what I said to Pitt to confirm they'd forgotten about me (Subject: Application Status Inquiry):

Dear Ms. Rivet,

My apologies for bothering you, but I have yet to hear anything about the status of my application to the Philosophy Department. My friends who also had applied to the program have already received their decisions - I'm assuming I've been rejected, but just wanted to confirm with you!

With best wishes,

Cecinestpasunphilosophe

Just received this from UCLA: "Thank you for your inquiry. Your application is still under consideration. The department has made a number of offers of admission so far, but it may make some more. At this point, while it is not likely that you will be offered admission, it is still possible." 

Edited by PossibleWorlds

41 minutes ago, PossibleWorlds said:

Just received this from UCLA: "Thank you for your inquiry. Your application is still under consideration. The department has made a number of offers of admission so far, but it may make some more. At this point, while it is not likely that you will be offered admission, it is still possible." 

Well, damn. Thanks for letting us know, this is... semi-disheartening?

1 hour ago, PossibleWorlds said:

Thanks a lot for letting us know! That's the clearest indication of what's going on at UCLA we've had so far.. I guess at least hope is not entirely lost yet!

18 minutes ago, PossibleWorlds said:

Coincidentally, I just got into UCLA... will be declining soon. I'm fairly certain that means the offer will be going to someone else this week. 

WHAT! That's pretty cool. I was legitimately ticked off (on your behalf) that the email they sent was so ambiguous. But congratulations!

8 hours ago, PossibleWorlds said:

Coincidentally, I just got into UCLA... will be declining soon. I'm fairly certain that means the offer will be going to someone else this week. 

Wow congrats!! Reallllly hope I'm next in line, lol :lol:

I'm still really curious as to what's going on at Riverside. One person claimed to be admitted but, to my knowledge, nobody has owned up to it. I don't think they would just make it up. So I'm assuming its legit. Nevertheless, one would have expected some more activity or at least some wait list notifications or something.