Contacting and networking your way in

gurumaster8899

If anyone has contacted faculty for the fall 2010 cycle, here are some observations:

1.Professors are usually too busy to even reply

2. Those who reply are usually too busy to remember you

3. Those who give a positive reply, you'll always have a hard time keeping the conversation interesting without the constant fear of being too annoying and ultimately blowing your chances

I had really great correspondences with a couple faculty members, but unfortunately they were at the institution I hope I will not have to attend! I also noticed a marked difference in the responses I got to my first and second emails. My first round of emails didn't seem to impress anyone very much because for the sake of brevity I had not made my research interests as clear as I should have. One person even responded sarcastically to my vague listing of themes! However, the follow-up emails I sent were a bit longer and outlined my interests/experience more specifically, and I got very positive responses to them (especially from the sarcastic guy).

I'm glad I wrote emails to my potential supervisors, as it made me feel a bit better about my chances, or at least gave me a clearer picture of what to expect. Maybe lots of professors are too busy to respond to such emails, but it's worth sending them anyways.

This process must have been really awkward and nerve-wracking before email was the standard form of communication!

I've had especially positive responses from emails in which I name-dropped a little. Something like - "so and so suggested I contact you because my research interests well align with yours.."

Edited by Astronautka

I've had especially positive responses from emails in which I name-dropped a little. Something like - "so and so suggested I contact you because my research interests well align with yours.."

This. I presented an article at a conference in Washington last June and took the opportunity to network like crazy. It opened a lot of doors, one guy even phoned a lady that is a huge name in my field that he happened to know and just handed the phone over to me so I could talk to her right away. I wasn't prepared, but it went fine anyway, because neither was she. She recommended some places, and dropping her name in the contact emails really opened some doors.

When I contacted another very interesting potential advisor (Dr. P) I got a tip from a friend doing her PhD under a friend of that potential advisor (Dr. Q) that he (Dr. P) would be giving the plenary at a conference only a few hours away from where I live. So I managed to arrange a meeting, bluffed my way in to the conference (no way I could pay $300 to attend!) and got an impromptu job interview during the nice, free, lunch. Got very good response from him too! :)

And just as a sidenote, I later ended up sitting in for free at a plenary talk at another conference with the very same guy that my friend is doing her PhD for (Dr. Q), and he thought I should join him for the conference dinner. So I used his badge to get in to that conference dinner and had some interesting conversations with him over a nice, free, beer.

I believe in networking. And free food.

Edited by waylance

I can't imagine it works this way for Ph.D. programs, but I am relatively certain that I talked my way into my master's program. I applied after the deadline, hadn't taken all the necessary prerequisites (I promised to take them in summer school), and took the very last paper-and-pencil GMAT ever, at the 11th hour, so my scores were totally late. I called the DGS at least once a week to say hi, inquire about the status of my application, and generally be a charming pain in the ass. Though I was told I was admitted based on the strength of my essay and LORs, I think they finally let me in just to shut me up. Not asking for funding probably helped my case too.

This!

Also if you are trying to initiate conversations in November? That's just rude to me. It's not only the middle of a semester but the holidays and the end of the semester is in sight. I started contacting folks this summer and had very good responses. More than one person skipped a return email and called me. They all gave me others to contact and allowed me to use their names -- I always ask permission.

And I don't think that it's a waste if the conversation isn't very long. One response was brief but now I can say two things: my research works there and I can honestly mention this person in my SOP.

ANDDDDD having an email chain allowed me to contact these folks when I submitted my app to thank them for their help and surreptitiously make them aware that they will see my name again. Granted, not a 100% rate of return but enough of one for me to think it doesn't hurt.

I've actually been humbled by people who were willing to talk to me. They don't have to and some people didn't just talk. One big shot chatted for over an hour as an admin came in and out in the background for her signatures and orders and she kept right on giving me her personal history, experiences, etc.

So, I'll give my own list:

-- Start early and respect people's time

-- Take every chance to collect names and mention them, with permission. this opens doors

-- Thank people for their time and follow up with them occasionally to let them know how you're progressing; people who feel vested in your success are more likely to help you and just because they don't email back doesn't mean they don't read it

I don't really think it's rude to write an email at this point (November). The fall semester is not over, and applications for most places aren't due for another month if not two months. The holidays may be approaching, but this isn't vacation time, and it's not outrageous to expect professors to be working and checking their email for the next month. The only reason I would be hesitant to write an email at this time would be that it might make me appear ill-prepared, i.e. "I didn't get around to looking into graduate programs until just a couple days ago" or "I don't really know who you are, but I found your name on the internet and wouldn't mind getting into your program"

Networking definitely helps. I attended a conference last Fall and found my way into various gatherings in the evenings (whether invited or not). I have a lot of friends at the programs to which I'm applying, so I was able to meet up with them at the events and then have them introduce me to their professors. A professor in Duke's Religion program and I used to have fairly regular meetings and he always said it was best if they can put a face with an application. They're basically signing themselves up to spend the next 5-7 years with you, so it's good if they already know you're not a loon and you can do the work.

I would think the ideal time would be during the summer or at the start of the semester, assuming professors get busier and have less time as the semester goes on, so if the deadline is in late December/early January the next couple of weeks would be the last chance to get anything significant through...

But its a good thing that we've established that contacting DOES make a difference.....it will make one more than just a number to them...

Edited by gurumaster8899

I would think the ideal time would be during the summer or at the start of the semester, assuming professors get busier and have less time as the semester goes on, so if the deadline is in late December/early January the next couple of weeks would be the last chance to get anything significant through...

But its a good thing that we've established that contacting DOES make a difference.....it will make one more than just a number to them...

That is all I was saying. Look at it from their perspective. Their job isn't to answer mass emails from wannabes. At least, that's not high up their list of job duties. I don't think anyone has ever gotten tenured based on their email-fu. Make it easy for people to help you and don't pile onto the already stressful time.

Or do and blame them for everything. I'm just offering another perspective. :/

An important thing to keep in mind is that the importance of networking at this stage is extremely dependent on the program. Without exception, e-mail contact with prospective advisors does absolutely nothing for my chances at any of my programs. However, this is definitely not the case for other disciplines, where you quite literally need to have a professor in the program personally vouching for you for you to have a chance.

I am contacting professors to make sure they're taking students and to introduce myself so I can wrangle a visit to their lab on interview weekend... ultimately, it doesn't particularly matter how much they like me at this stage, because they aren't going to be involved making the admissions decision. If you're in a case like mine, make sure you have something interesting to say :P

I don't know about other fields, but many engineering grad websites specifically mention hints that contacting individual faculty won't actually make a difference....

but whenever i ask grad students or my current professors, they tell me to ignore that and contact faculty anyways... in the sense that getting your name out there can't do you harm if you play it right..

I let up on contacting professors after two discouraging responses.

Following the suggestions of current grad students and board members here, I introduced myself, summarized my research, expressed interest in their work, said I was assessing my fit with the school, and asked if they were taking students for next year. Both professors responded by saying, essentially, "that's not how it works." One went on to clarify that here in the US (I'm American), students get in on their own merit, not on the basis of matching students to particular research agendas. The other said that students aren't matched with advisors until much farther along in the process. My emails didn't show any presumption of a future working relationship, merely curiosity, so I was puzzled. How have others applying to doctoral programs in the US fared with the phrase "taking students"?

Following the suggestions of current grad students and board members here, I introduced myself, summarized my research, expressed interest in their work, said I was assessing my fit with the school, and asked if they were taking students for next year. Both professors responded by saying, essentially, "that's not how it works." One went on to clarify that here in the US (I'm American), students get in on their own merit, not on the basis of matching students to particular research agendas. The other said that students aren't matched with advisors until much farther along in the process. My emails didn't show any presumption of a future working relationship, merely curiosity, so I was puzzled. How have others applying to doctoral programs in the US fared with the phrase "taking students"?

I guess it will depend on what type of degree plan each university has, some allow you to pick an advisor once you start, others don't untill two years into the process. You have to check that before sending any emails, I know of a program which matches students with advisors early on and was told that out of around 30 students thay accept every year around 15 are chosen by faculty from previous contact....wherase other programs contacting professors is almost pointless because they don't get to choose untill later...

Just to add to the data set, I sent out one e-mail Monday afternoon, and got a reply Tuesday (yesterday) morning. It was very enthusiastic, with detailed responses to my questions, and expressed a desire to work with me. So I can't necessarily pinpoint what part of the equation led to such a positive response, but it at least means that people aren't automatically going to respond coldly. Maybe she's just really nice... maybe she had extra time on her hands... maybe I wrote a really good e-mail... I'm not sure. Here's a few things I made sure to do (this is for anthro, by the way):

1.) I did a cursosry job of checking out her work, but didn't pretend to be more familiar with her than I really am (admitted I hadn't read her articles, but expressed desire to).

2.) I told her exactly where I think our interests intersect, while leaving it an open question as to whether she agrees on this "fit" and whether she's still doing this kind of work...

3.) I asked in a very straightforward way if she is taking students, expressed my interest in applying, and told her that her response will affect my decision whether to reply...

4.) I made clear that I understand her time is valuable, etc., and that she should feel free to reply at her leisure, time permitting, etc.

I dunno. I assume these are the things most people are doing, so it could very well come down to personalities. I think the main thing is to come off as though you're sort of deciding whether or not to apply based on information you get from this contact, not that you think this contact will help you get in. In the end, this may not be true, but I think it's best to at least try to take seriously the idea that this is an important step in information-gathering, not just networking.

Could you disclose what department are you talking about, Pip? I see you are applying to Sociology, just as I am, and I would rather avoid contacting that department..

1.) I did a cursosry job of checking out her work, but didn't pretend to be more familiar with her than I really am (admitted I hadn't read her articles, but expressed desire to).

2.) I told her exactly where I think our interests intersect, while leaving it an open question as to whether she agrees on this "fit" and whether she's still doing this kind of work...

3.) I asked in a very straightforward way if she is taking students, expressed my interest in applying, and told her that her response will affect my decision whether to reply...

4.) I made clear that I understand her time is valuable, etc., and that she should feel free to reply at her leisure, time permitting, etc.

I contacted 30 professors by email between July and September (then a few more later on, as I got replies and people said, "Oh, you should email Dr. So-and-So!"; most of those people have responded, too). I received 27 replies back. A single one of them was rude (I had asked the professor if she felt the department encouraged rigorous interdisciplinary studies, or just allowed it when necessary, and she responded that "nothing in the description of your interests exceeds the bounds of English"--when yes, lady, because I didn't give you a FULL rundown of all of my freaking interests, just a one-sentence summary of my honors thesis). About half of the replies were cordial enough, but seemed more or less like form responses. About half of them were wonderful, detailed responses. I got into a good email correspondence (for as long as I could figure out something incisive to say back, which faded after a while) with about half of those who responded thoughtfully. Several of the people I emailed mentioned that they would "keep an eye out" for my application.

So, I would really disagree that professors are often cold and/or too busy to respond. One guy I emailed (notorious for not responding, according to people who know him) responded two months later to tell me how sorry he was to have lost my email in the business of his inbox. I think it probably very much depends on what you say and how you say it. I'm not exactly sure what I did that was different from other people, but as I said, almost every single person I emailed responded, and nicely. And I emailed a LOT of people.

Anthaspirant's advice was good, I think. I did not email anybody whose work I didn't at least look up cursorily. For the people whose work I knew, I made it really clear that I knew it. For the people whose work I didn't know, I at least looked it up and read enough snippets (sometimes just reviews) so that I had some vague idea about methodologies, major themes, etc. For several of the profs, I asked them if they were taking on new advisees (and some responded back in a way that clarified their advisor system, which was very helpful). I didn't ask all of them, and I didn't say anything like, "This will affect my decision to apply." I DID namedrop my undergrad advisor, and my other undergrad mentor for people I knew she had a connection with. That seemed to go a long way.

I also emailed early enough that I could say I was "considering" applying. I think that helped a lot too. I seemed less like I was kissing ass and more like I was honestly curious about the department. If you email the first time now, I would be really careful about your phrasing to avoid coming off like, "I'm applying and I want to network at the last minute so you can push my application through!!!"

Anyway, that was my experience.

The other said that students aren't matched with advisors until much farther along in the process. My emails didn't show any presumption of a future working relationship, merely curiosity, so I was puzzled. How have others applying to doctoral programs in the US fared with the phrase "taking students"?

I got a similar response from a Math professor at CSU.

I didn't say anything like, "This will affect my decision to apply."

Yeah, I should clarify that. I don't mean like "This will affect my decision, so YOU BETTER REPLY!!!!!" More like, "The reason I'm asking you about whether you're taking on new students is not so you'll guarantee me a spot, but rather because it doesn't make sense for me to apply if there's no chance I'll work with you." Of course it's hard to convey that tactfully, but apparently I did...

I contacted 30 professors by email between July and September (then a few more later on, as I got replies and people said, "Oh, you should email Dr. So-and-So!"; most of those people have responded, too). I received 27 replies back. A single one of them was rude (I had asked the professor if she felt the department encouraged rigorous interdisciplinary studies, or just allowed it when necessary, and she responded that "nothing in the description of your interests exceeds the bounds of English"--when yes, lady, because I didn't give you a FULL rundown of all of my freaking interests, just a one-sentence summary of my honors thesis). About half of the replies were cordial enough, but seemed more or less like form responses. About half of them were wonderful, detailed responses. I got into a good email correspondence (for as long as I could figure out something incisive to say back, which faded after a while) with about half of those who responded thoughtfully. Several of the people I emailed mentioned that they would "keep an eye out" for my application.

So, I would really disagree that professors are often cold and/or too busy to respond. One guy I emailed (notorious for not responding, according to people who know him) responded two months later to tell me how sorry he was to have lost my email in the business of his inbox. I think it probably very much depends on what you say and how you say it. I'm not exactly sure what I did that was different from other people, but as I said, almost every single person I emailed responded, and nicely. And I emailed a LOT of people.

Anthaspirant's advice was good, I think. I did not email anybody whose work I didn't at least look up cursorily. For the people whose work I knew, I made it really clear that I knew it. For the people whose work I didn't know, I at least looked it up and read enough snippets (sometimes just reviews) so that I had some vague idea about methodologies, major themes, etc. For several of the profs, I asked them if they were taking on new advisees (and some responded back in a way that clarified their advisor system, which was very helpful). I didn't ask all of them, and I didn't say anything like, "This will affect my decision to apply." I DID namedrop my undergrad advisor, and my other undergrad mentor for people I knew she had a connection with. That seemed to go a long way.

I also emailed early enough that I could say I was "considering" applying. I think that helped a lot too. I seemed less like I was kissing ass and more like I was honestly curious about the department. If you email the first time now, I would be really careful about your phrasing to avoid coming off like, "I'm applying and I want to network at the last minute so you can push my application through!!!"

Anyway, that was my experience.

perfect.

Could you disclose what department are you talking about, Pip? I see you are applying to Sociology, just as I am, and I would rather avoid contacting that department..

Hi Astronautka.

These responses were from Berkeley. Neither of the professors were particularly cold. They both encouraged me to continue to research the program and talk to grad students, and wished me luck. But demonstrating my familiarity with their work and suggesting that my research proposal engaged questions they are currently interested in just didn't get me very far.

Yeah, I should clarify that. I don't mean like "This will affect my decision, so YOU BETTER REPLY!!!!!" More like, "The reason I'm asking you about whether you're taking on new students is not so you'll guarantee me a spot, but rather because it doesn't make sense for me to apply if there's no chance I'll work with you." Of course it's hard to convey that tactfully, but apparently I did...

Ah, sorry, I paraphrased you poorly. Personally, I didn't echo this sentiment at all, because per my mentors' advice, for English at least it is important to apply to/attend a program that has a lot of faculty in your area of interest rather than just one. I have no doubt you were very tactful, given the response(s) you received!

I know it's late to be starting this, but I made first contact with three profs today and all three of them wrote back within the day! One of them (who answered exactly 8 minutes after I sent the email) simply answered my questions succinctly, said I would be a good match for her lab, and made a suggestion about applying to her lab from a slightly different program. The other two both gave me enthusiastic responses about my research ideas, said their labs would be great fits, and asked me further questions. I was concerned that profs might not take me as seriously because I wrote to them so late (a couple of these schools have Dec 1 deadlines) but their responses were in fact very encouraging... neat.