west2east

• 2 months later...

I received my notice around the same time (Feb 23) but I was wait-listed, I know this has been up for a while but I thought I would chime in, I am waiting desperately to hear about being taken off the wait-list and given an OGS but i really don't know what to expect

Some of the school's are rolling basis in terms of the waitlist, FYI. I only heard back last week. The second, third, and however many waves there are at your respective schools may depend on how many were granted to your departments. Don't give up!

really panicking as I know that SSHRC is just announcing their winners now (for most schools) so i'm waiting for maybe an answer this week maybe to get off the wait list? I'm just trying to be optimistic but I really don't know what my odds are for getting OFF the wait-list. 

Edited by Scotty212

On 4/30/2016 at 5:28 AM, eternallyephemeral said:

I'm on the waitlist for OGS at Western, which is great to hear. Did anyone else hear back?

On 4/30/2016 at 0:34 AM, ps-pt said:

I just heard from Western as well, @eternallyephemeral - waitlisted too. 

On 5/1/2016 at 9:08 AM, benosimo said:

Same here at Western and still on the waitlist for CIHR too. All this waiting is eroding my patience...

Did you guys get an email or did you have to login and check? No emails in my inbox yet... should I assume rejection?

12 hours ago, clinpsyc said:

Did you guys get an email or did you have to login and check? No emails in my inbox yet... should I assume rejection?

@clinpsyc, I received an email from SGPS on Friday. I believe they were supposed to get back to everyone then.

You can also check via Student Centre - just go to my account then graduate external scholarships.

On 04/05/2016 at 1:02 AM, clinpsyc said:

:( not awarded...

Good luck to those on the waitlist!

you got official notice that you didn't move to waitlist? sorry to hear!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anybody clarify what the process is for awarding OGS? I received an email from my university's school of graduate studies saying that I was nominated by my department, and they needed some additional information (SIN etc.) to confirm my eligibility. Is there another evaluation that takes place after this step, or is it a matter of receiving the nomination and then proving that you meet the requirements?

Just now, lhume said:

Can anybody clarify what the process is for awarding OGS? I received an email from my university's school of graduate studies saying that I was nominated by my department, and they needed some additional information (SIN etc.) to confirm my eligibility. Is there another evaluation that takes place after this step, or is it a matter of receiving the nomination and then proving that you meet the requirements?

This process seems different than the one I went through, so it may change between schools. For example, I was never notified that I was nominated by my department.

When was your application deadline? Do you know when they would get back to you with responses? These things also vary from school to school, but it help us see where the department/school is in the process by knowing their deadlines.

For example, this document details the procedure for my program. There are two levels, the graduate program and the faculty level. I would say the graduate program recommending you is the first step, and it might not be guaranteed that you receive OGS if you pass this step. However, it's very likely (if not for sure) that you are on the shortlist, which means you could be waitlisted or you could be offered OGS right away. The link to the document is here:

https://grad.uwo.ca/doc/financial_support/scholarships/ogs_operations/2016/Social Science.pdf

Does this make sense? The bottom line is that it differs between schools, and I think being nominated is not enough to receive the award for sure, but it definitely helps.

11 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

This process seems different than the one I went through, so it may change between schools. For example, I was never notified that I was nominated by my department.

When was your application deadline? Do you know when they would get back to you with responses? These things also vary from school to school, but it help us see where the department/school is in the process by knowing their deadlines.

For example, this document details the procedure for my program. There are two levels, the graduate program and the faculty level. I would say the graduate program recommending you is the first step, and it might not be guaranteed that you receive OGS if you pass this step. However, it's very likely (if not for sure) that you are on the shortlist, which means you could be waitlisted or you could be offered OGS right away. The link to the document is here:

https://grad.uwo.ca/doc/financial_support/scholarships/ogs_operations/2016/Social Science.pdf

Does this make sense? The bottom line is that it differs between schools, and I think being nominated is not enough to receive the award for sure, but it definitely helps.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the info! My application deadline was the beginning of May, but that's because my department had extended it by quite some time – if I remember correctly, they had a bunch of spots open up due to incoming students who received the award either not getting accepted into the program or choosing to go to a different university outside the province.

Yesterday, I got an email from OGS saying that they received my eligibility information and that official results will be sent out mid-July, so I guess I'll know then...there doesn't seem to be any more detailed information on any of my institution's sites anywhere, so I think I will just go and ask my grad coordinator. 

On 6/22/2016 at 10:58 AM, lhume said:

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the info! My application deadline was the beginning of May, but that's because my department had extended it by quite some time – if I remember correctly, they had a bunch of spots open up due to incoming students who received the award either not getting accepted into the program or choosing to go to a different university outside the province.

Yesterday, I got an email from OGS saying that they received my eligibility information and that official results will be sent out mid-July, so I guess I'll know then...there doesn't seem to be any more detailed information on any of my institution's sites anywhere, so I think I will just go and ask my grad coordinator. 

Good idea! They do seem to be very vague with you. They are probably dealing with a lot and trying to find qualified applicants, so that's a good sign!

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2016 at 1:08 AM, benosimo said:

Same here at Western and still on the waitlist for CIHR too. All this waiting is eroding my patience...

For those that are still on the waitlist and praying for a hail mary, I was awarded OGS-QEIIGSST today, so there's still a sliver of hope!

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2016 at 3:56 PM, lhume said:

This happened with me as well last June and I am wondering what does it mean? Maybe you can give me a clue whether you were awarded or not and what does this email mean?