Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Crap! No call here--guess this means I'm not getting an invite to UCSF Tetrad? :(

Has anyone heard from Colorado (MCDB)?

It doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get an invite. You know, it takes quite some time for them to make calls to hundreds of applicants right? Good luck!

Hi, I am new here; here are my stats:

GPA: 3.94 (4.0 in Biology) [big state school, Honors College]

Test Scores: 760 Math (86%) 710 Verbal (98%) 5.0 AW (81%)

GRE SUBJECT in Biology=93%,

95% in organismic bio subsection and 95% in ecology and evolution subsection (which is what I am applying for)

1 publication in an undergrad journal

a few local undergrad presentations

2.5 years of bioinformatics research experience, 1 year of molecular biology research experience

have applied for and received several undergraduate research grants

Applying to:

Harvard OEB

Berkeley IB

Yale EEB

UChicago Darwinian Sciences

Haven't heard anything official yet,

although I was able to visit two of the schools unofficially and meet potential professors.

This board seems to be an informed bunch... what are my chances of getting into at least one of these schools???

Gosh~ it looks like we have fairly huge overlaps between the programs we are applying, and your stats are much much BETTER than mine.

My research interests lies in computational method developement for population genomics. Could you share what your interests are?

And where did you visit?

Thanks and good luck!

Got an invite from Stanford yesterday :) so far invites from Princeton (Molecular Biology), Gerstner Sloan-Kettering, UC Berkeley (MCB)

Has anyone heard from Harvard (MCB), Columbia (Biological Sciences), or Rockefeller?

Got an invite from Stanford yesterday :) so far invites from Princeton (Molecular Biology), Gerstner Sloan-Kettering, UC Berkeley (MCB)

Has anyone heard from Harvard (MCB), Columbia (Biological Sciences), or Rockefeller?

Got an invite from Columbia but haven't heard from Rockefeller or Harvard yet :/

Nope have not heard from Harvard BBS. Was wondering if anyone applied to the cancer biology program at Umass worcester?

I also applied to the cancer bio program at UMass medical and have not heard anything yet. I have 3 invites so far at Weill Cornell, Dartmouth, and Duke so I am not as panicky about it as I would be if I had no invites

I'm quite certain that USCSF Tetrad isn't finished sending out invitations.

I am also intersted in when we will hear from Colorado MCDB. Their first interview weekend is February 4-7th, which means they must notify people soon to make flight arrangements (or so you would think).

Where did you find out that their interview weekend is the 4th-7th? I was thinking of e-mailing someone there as I'm a little surprised not to have heard from them, especially since I know now that the recruitment weekend is approaching so quickly.

Still no word from UCSF. Bummer.

Where did you find out that their interview weekend is the 4th-7th? I was thinking of e-mailing someone there as I'm a little surprised not to have heard from them, especially since I know now that the recruitment weekend is approaching so quickly.

Yeah, UCSF hasn't sent anything out for their BMS program as far as I've heard either.

I spoke with a professor today in UC Berkeley's IB dept. He told me they are making interview decisions by Jan 22. Just FYI for anyone applying to that dept.

Has anyone else heard from UCSB EEMB?

Good luck!

Edited by evolve

I also applied to the cancer bio program at UMass medical and have not heard anything yet. I have 3 invites so far at Weill Cornell, Dartmouth, and Duke so I am not as panicky about it as I would be if I had no invites

Well aren't you special....I don't have any interviews. Just kidding congratulations, did you apply MCB at Dartmouth? I also applied to Dartmouth but have not heard anything yet although my 3rd letter of recommendation has been delinquent and is apparently submitting mine tomorrow. Congrats on Cornell and Duke, I did not apply to those but those certainly are impressive interviews.

Well aren't you special....I don't have any interviews. Just kidding congratulations, did you apply MCB at Dartmouth? I also applied to Dartmouth but have not heard anything yet although my 3rd letter of recommendation has been delinquent and is apparently submitting mine tomorrow. Congrats on Cornell and Duke, I did not apply to those but those certainly are impressive interviews.

Yes, I did apply to Dartmouth MCB and heard back from them on 12/21 about an interview. The interview weekend is 2/19-2/20 so there is still plenty of time for them to send out more invites. Good luck! Still haven't heard a peep from the other schools I applied to...the wait is killing me.

I'm actually curious if anybody knows - when Rockefeller accepts the lucky applicants, does the decision come via FedEx or by regular mail? The lengthy list of rejections in the Results database indicates that rejections come as a thin large envelope via USPS... Do they ever communicate with applicants in any other way (email, call etc)?

The UCSF BMS program has already finished sending out invites, most went out on 12/18 (I know someone currently enrolled there). Unfortunately I did not get one :(

That's lame. Oh well, I didn't get one either :/. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the others.

I got an email after I submitted my application that gave a list of the three interview dates. If you hear anything from them will you post here?

I'm surprised not to have heard from them either - the program is something of a safety school for me (or so I thought).

Edited by bio1

Gosh~ it looks like we have fairly huge overlaps between the programs we are applying, and your stats are much much BETTER than mine.

My research interests lies in computational method developement for population genomics. Could you share what your interests are?

And where did you visit?

Thanks and good luck!

We certainly do, I'm starting to wish I applied to more places...

I sent you a private message with answers to your questions.

So I finally got my first interview invitation! To U of Michigan PIBS. I know everyone else heard from them ages ago but i'm international and the wait has been horribly long.

As I'm in europe, it's gonna be a phone interview though... but I'm still happy happy! I was already loosing all hope...

Gremot, congrats! Welcome to our PIBS interview club:)

thanks Neuro!! I feel my anxiety levels drop slowly... PIBS seems a great program too

have you by any chance heard how many out of the interviewed are in the end accepted?

Still no interviews...or rejections....would like to hear something soon!!!

I so know the feeling! I hope you'll also hear from somewhere soon - it will help to wait for others