Importance of rank/fit at the MA level?

Danger_Zone

Hello everyone,

I'm currently applying to both MA and PhD programs in history. I have heard back from 2 of my top choices - where I have been wait listed - and accepted into an MA program (although I am wait listed for funding at the moment). The MA program isn't the best fit for me, and it isn't very highly ranked as far as I know, but obviously I felt it was a good enough fit for me to apply. I liked the sound of the MA program itself and found a professor whose work was very interesting to me. My question is: is rank just as important when it comes to receiving only an MA degree? I think it would help me become more competitive for a PhD (I can work on my language skills, get published again, etc.) or is the rank of a program still looked down upon when applying to PhD programs?

I still haven't heard back from half of the programs I have applied to, so I may be accepted to my top choice(s) anyway, but I'd like to plan for all possible scenarios.

Thanks!

A few thoughts:

- Will the MA program give you the chance to do what you need to improve your applications for a future PhD admissions cycle? Will it give you full funding (stipend plus tuition waiver)? If the answer to both questions is yes, then by all means attend that program and don't worry about rank.

- For MA programs, what you do is as important, if not more important, than where you go. You want to have an awesome writing sample, gain research experience, and start networking with scholars in your field. Ideally, you'll submit something for publication (even a book review is fine), beef up your language skills, get some teaching experience, and garner some kickass rec letters. Any program which can help you do those things is an asset because it will give you the chance to show PhD programs that you can do this academia thing.

- The literature folks have been discussing this as well:

I echo the sentiments of the previous poster. Your Master's experience should be about giving you the tools to make an absolutely stellar doctoral application file. Obviously there is more to it than that but when you are being pragmatic that is what you need. If you feel like you can get that out of the Master's program you were accepted to then I would accept it (assuming you don't get PhD acceptances) and try and finish in two years. 

I actually applied to a PhD for this program but I guess they knocked me down to an MA first, so I wasn't entirely sure how the MA process went as far as ranking goes. So thank you both for the help! I will have to check out those links as well. I'm incredibly grateful that I have been accepted for this Master's degree, but honestly I do hope it is the worst case scenario and I can enroll in a PhD program at one of my top choices. Although I do believe that this Master's would help me become more competitive and fit for a PhD, considering I applied straight from undergrad.