Jump to content

histrybuff

Members
  • Content Count

    23
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About histrybuff

  • Rank
    Decaf

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Interests
    Urban History, Intellectual History, Political Economy
  • Application Season
    2016 Fall
  • Program
    History

Recent Profile Visitors

1,213 profile views
  1. Hey everyone. I'm interested in an MA in documentary film production and studies. Anyone know if there are programs that are funded?
  2. Hi all, So, I have been accepted to a great funded MA program that I'm excited to matriculate to. The thing is, I was also accepted to teach English in France for one year. It'd be a great opportunity to a) polish up language skills b) read more widely/deeply on prospective MA thesis topics c) take a break after undergrad and see the world. Not too worried about funding, because it's relatively noncompetitive. I haven't accepted either because I'm not sure how to do so. If my aim is to get a deferral, should I accept the MA position and then broach the topic of a deferral for the year with the Chair? Or should I speak with the Chair about a deferral before accepting the MA position? The rub? BOTH must be notified on Friday the 15th. Thanks for your thoughts!
  3. histrybuff

    Oxford, OH

    @crc21 @klader @TwirlingBlades Hello grad friends!! I just accepted Miami's offer for an MA in History! Very interested in finding a place with other grad students. I got some leads from various students during my visit last week. You both should PM me, maybe we can share some tips! Can't wait to start in fall.
  4. @bibliomancer, I saw your post on another MA thread. I wonder if you have thoughts on my situation? Sounds like you're of the opinion that higher rank is more important than funding? Thanks all for your advice! I do feel enticed by Option 1, but still unsure. best
  5. Neist: It's sadly the latter. They haven't indicated whether or not I'll gain a GAship, much less its duration or level of remuneration. Should I worry about being bound up in a contract if I accept? Editorship would be great, yes!
  6. @Neist @rising_star @TMP @nevermind Hi all! Thanks so much for the advice. You're echoing thoughts I've had myself. A bit of clarification: Option 2 offers one to two year GAships around campus, while Option 1 is a full two year promise. One has to accept Option 2's offer of admission before they tell you what your GA offer is. During admit day, I spoke with students at Option 2 and they told me "There's a good chance that you'll be funded, but have a contingency plan in case it doesn't work out." This is not at all comforting. Option 1's offer certainly is, especially considering its offer of J-term funded research and a funded summer without TA or GA responsibilities. The DGS at Option 2 literally said "No one will throw you in jail if you decide not to come." But if I do accept their offer, will I be in breach of contract if I decide to attend Option 1 after I see Option 2's likely meager offer? I just don't want to regret having not tried. Option 1 does seem pretty safe, but I'm getting really starry eyed at Option 2's shiny brand name, its high ranking, proximity to archives of note, the caliber of its scholarly production, its location. Option 2 has a PhD program, but Option 1 doesn't. Eeek save me from myself!!!!! Yours in research and mounting student debt, histrybuff
  7. Hello all, I'm finishing my BA up and would like to teach some day. My specializations will be 20th c urban American, with minor interest in transnational border cities. I need help deciding on some offers. My offers are as follows: 1) Terminal MA at 80th or so ranked program. Promise of fully funded TAship for two years, as well as funding for summer and J-term research. 2-3 people with whom I would be excited to work. Good record of placement in top 25 PhD programs (Stanford, UCLA, Columbia, etc). Close to home, middle of nowhere. Offer of editorship on journal. No PhD program. 2) Terminal MA at top 25 program. No guarantee of funding, but possible--around 50% funded at any given time. 5-10 people with whom I'd like to work. In a cosmopolitan city I love, refreshingly removed from the midwestern state in which i grew up. No offer of editorship, PhD students likely get most love, but real chance to matriculate there after MA. 3) PhD at 120th ranked program. Guaranteed 5 year package. 0-2 people with whom I'd like to work. In a city close to where I grew up, in state that I'm desperate to escape from. I'm thinking I won't take the PhD offer, though I'm flattered, because I don't think the school has a) enough faculty to work with b. enough of a name to land a job c) the distance from home and the cosmopolitan feel I'm looking for in my PhD. So, should I go with option 1 (good funding, less than a wealth of faculty, middle of nowhere and rural) or option 2 (uncertain funding, lots of faculty, big name, cool city)? Both have one faculty member who'd be great to work with. Help please!!! Thanks in advance.
  8. Hello! Just accepted for MA in History at Miami. I may be joining you @TwirlingBlades!
  9. Thank you all! I think I will go for both MA and PhD programs and see what happens. Any advice regarding the Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement? My understanding is that I should give a "why this topic and why this school" as well as a "this will be my methodological approach" for these. The "my 8th grade history teacher..." spiel is, from what I can tell, generally discouraged. Also, is it useful to talk about my archival and public history exp or should I let my CV speak for itself? If you're willing, could you send me some advice via pm? Here goes nothin!
  10. MVL, thanks very much for your reply. I do, I think, have a precise question which I'd like to explore, which has to do with the intersections of political economic ideology and the city. I have been doing lots of reading on this subject and understand the basic contours of the historiography (not going to be too big for my britches on this one). The question is one I'm exploring for my senior capstone, I've done archival research in pursuit of the answer to it, and I've targeted those profs whose work I'm launching off of, have asked them specific research questions via email, and they've encouraged me to apply as I "sounded like [I knew] what [I was] getting into." So glad to hear that my eventual rejection to a top program won't necessarily brand my breast with a scarlet letter. lol. Thanks very much for your advice; I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for both MAs and PhDs.
  11. ashiepoo, thanks very much! Good to know that there's a lot of hoo-ha out there and I'm not completely crazy in thinking that an MA would be beneficial.
  12. turnings, thanks very very much for this advice. I think I will, then, apply for both programs. Here goes nothing! What a relief to know that quant scores aren't really considered!
  13. Hello everyone, I'm a Senior History major at a small college. My goal is to pursue a PhD in the field of 20th c US urban history (intellectual, political-economic, history of capitalism and the city). I have a 3.8 gpa, a full tuition fellowship, have work experience in the field (National Archives, Writing Tutor, History teaching assistant at prep school, Archival assistant at cultural institution), have presented my own senior thesis research at three conferences, and have published two articles in the Archives publication as well as a journal. Some professors have told me to apply to PhD programs, while others recommend an MA. I'm concerned that I will have mediocre GRE scores in Quant. The trouble is that I don't know if I'll get accepted to top PhD programs if I apply this time around. I'm worried about my GRE scores. The admissions rates at the schools at which I've made contact with POI's (a few of whom have urged me to apply) are around 6%. Some people at state schools have told me to wait a year and apply after I've done something "interesting." The ivys, as I understand it, frequently want people coming directly from BA's. At the same time, I'd hate to dash my chances of getting into a top program by being rejected from their institution. I have made contacts at MA programs who have also urged me to apply. These programs have sent their students to top PhD programs and some offer full tuition remission and teaching assistantships to their students. One POI in particular is well respected and is an advocate of my work. I'd certainly learn a lot about historiography and research in an MA program. But should I spend two years at an MA program if my goal is a PhD? I understand that I'd gain more experience, etc., but would an MA be a liability on my PhD application? There's also the option of taking a year off and applying next year, after polishing my senior thesis and getting better scores on the GRE. I have applied to a competitive year long fellowship which would involve teaching, so it would be great to do that and apply next year, but no guarantees that I'll get it. If I do decide to take a year off and am not accepted to the fellowship, a well known scholar in my field is looking for research assistants and has expressed interest in my working for him. As the stress of applications mounts, this option is sounding better than ever. So, the options: 1) Apply to MA and PhD programs and hope for the best. 2) Apply to some more year long teaching fellowships and MA's, keep the conversation with the scholar looking for researchers open, not apply to PhD's in order to preserve my chances at those programs. What should I do?
  14. @apnew thanks for the advice! I certainly will.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.