Academic/Career counseling positions

dancedementia

Hey there! So I'm on the fence about continuing with my original plan (getting a masters + PhD in Counseling Psychology) or switching gears and going the Higher Education route instead. I'm specifically interested in academic advising / career counseling positions on college campuses. So, for example, the advisors you meet with when you go to career services, etc. Do you think having a degree in Counseling Psychology suffices for the job? Or is that almost... overqualified? (For the record, most of my research focuses on multicultural and vocational psychology). Would they prefer someone who has a masters in Higher Ed and some related experience (maybe in other student affairs areas)?

Just trying to make sure I do this right before I switch career paths!

Edited by dancedementia

Hey there!! Like you, I was originally thinking I'd pursue a doctorate in counseling psychology. With that, I began a master's program in counseling and student personnel psychology. However, after taking some counseling classes, I realized it wasn't for me. Luckily the program I was in allowed for students to concentrate on Higher Ed by taking a career counseling class and doing an internship within a higher ed setting. I'm currently doing a 700-hour internship at a career counseling center at a small private college. Just wanted to give you a background on where I'm coming from :) From what I've seen, you don't see people with Ph.Ds...that would make you overqualified to be quite honest (career counselors really don't get paid that much!). All people in the office I'm at have their master's degrees- some are master's in counseling and others are master's in student leadership & affairs. I've found that my master's in counseling degree is super helpful within career counseling. 

Edited by Psycherd12

Thanks for the insight! That's good to know, as I was debating just getting a masters in counseling and then doing my practicum/internship in a college or academic setting then going straight to work. I still love Counseling Psychology but I don't think I could stand 5+ years of research-oriented work, just to go out and do something like career counseling, so it sounds like the masters in counseling with applied practice in a higher ed is a good way to go?

No problem! What you just described is EXACTLY how I felt. But yes I think that's a great plan :) I'd apply to any master's in counseling programs that a) allow you to take SOME student affairs/career counseling related coursework and b ) allow you to do your practicum at a career counseling center at a local university. My cohort specifically is made up of future school, community, and higher education counselors. I would recommend a program like that since you still love counseling psych. 

I suggest you check out NACADA's website. You can earn aMS in Academic Advising or a post graduate certificate in advising. FIU has an advising certificate as well but it is not online like the one affiliated with NACADA

I agree with the other posters.  Getting a PhD in Counseling Psychology is overkill if you just want to do career or academic advising.  A Master's in Higher Ed/Student Affairs or School Counseling should be sufficient for your career goals.  Of course, you also want to get experience working in academic advising or a career center when you are completing your masters to be more marketable.

44 minutes ago, ZeChocMoose said:

I agree with the other posters.  Getting a PhD in Counseling Psychology is overkill if you just want to do career or academic advising.  A Master's in Higher Ed/Student Affairs or School Counseling should be sufficient for your career goals.  Of course, you also want to get experience working in academic advising or a career center when you are completing your masters to be more marketable.

I don't know about school counseling as that is counseling elementary, middle- and high-school kids. Definitely do a master's in counseling & student personnel or higher ed!

14 minutes ago, Psycherd12 said:

I don't know about school counseling as that is counseling elementary, middle- and high-school kids. Definitely do a master's in counseling & student personnel or higher ed!

I have actually seen people with master's in school counseling get higher ed jobs in either academic advising or career counseling with relevant experience.  It's true that the context is different, but they learn relevant skills that you can transfer over to college students.

Just now, ZeChocMoose said:

I have actually seen people with master's in school counseling get higher ed jobs in either academic advising or career counseling with relevant experience.  It's true that the context is different, but they learn relevant skills that you can transfer over to college students.

True! I've seen the same. But if you're wanting to go into student affairs and want to do your GAships or practicum internships in Higher Ed, I don't know if school counseling programs would let you do that. All of my cohort members who are going into school counseling had to do 3 separate internships at an elementary school, middle school and a high school.

1 minute ago, Psycherd12 said:

True! I've seen the same. But if you're wanting to go into student affairs and want to do your GAships or practicum internships in Higher Ed, I don't know if school counseling programs would let you do that. All of my cohort members who are going into school counseling had to do 3 separate internships at an elementary school, middle school and a high school.

The university that I did my master's at -- they let school counseling master's students do that i.e. do their internships in a higher ed office/unit.  I mean - I am not sure why you would do that but it happened!

On 3/2/2016 at 2:13 PM, ZeChocMoose said:

The university that I did my master's at -- they let school counseling master's students do that i.e. do their internships in a higher ed office/unit.  I mean - I am not sure why you would do that but it happened!

Interesting! haha ive never heard of that before!