ODU Interview

I just received an email from ODU stating: " Congratulations! You are among the top applicants to the Old Dominion University Masters program in speech-language pathology.  Our final decisions about admission to our program will take place following a live interview with departmental faculty and completion of a well-constructed writing sample. These interviews will help us to identify recipients of several $6000 scholarships and $4500 graduate assistantships." Does anyone know anything about this process, more specifically the chance I have to get into the school? They talk about me being among the top applicants, but does that mean the interviews will be to narrow down the applicant pool and to give out the scholarships? Also, does anyone know how many people will be accepted after the interview process or the types of questions they will ask? Thanks in advance!

From what I saw on the results forum from past years most people get accepted during the interview. 

Also, did your MyDominion portal status change at all?

Good luck and congrats!

Edited by slptobe92

Hey slptobe92, thanks so much for responding! I was hoping that's what would happen, since it doesn't make much sense that they'd be looking to give out scholarships to people they don't plan on accepting. If by the MyDominion portal status you mean the thing that says "Application for Admission, Application Status" in green, then no. It still just says submitted. Thanks again and good luck to you, too!

• 2 weeks later...
On February 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM, RMott said:

Hey slptobe92, thanks so much for responding! I was hoping that's what would happen, since it doesn't make much sense that they'd be looking to give out scholarships to people they don't plan on accepting. If by the MyDominion portal status you mean the thing that says "Application for Admission, Application Status" in green, then no. It still just says submitted. Thanks again and good luck to you, too!

Did u have your interview? How did it go? I had mine on Saturday via Skype 

16 hours ago, Lunalulu2 said:

Did u have your interview? How did it go? I had mine on Saturday via Skype 

Yeah I had my interview on Friday and it went really well. They pretty much offered me admission while I was there and I got my official admission last night. How was yours? Still waiting on assistantship information and such though. Do you know when they plan on sending that information out?

9 minutes ago, RMott said:

Yeah I had my interview on Friday and it went really well. They pretty much offered me admission while I was there and I got my official admission last night. How was yours? Still waiting on assistantship information and such though. Do you know when they plan on sending that information out?

Interview went well. I got the impression they offered admission to everyone. I enjoyed learning more about the program.  So you went in person? What did you think of the clinic etc? They said they would be sending funding decisions today after all of the interviews so I am hoping for late this afternoon. 

6 minutes ago, Lunalulu2 said:

Interview went well. I got the impression they offered admission to everyone. I enjoyed learning more about the program.  So you went in person? What did you think of the clinic etc? They said they would be sending funding decisions today after all of the interviews so I am hoping for late this afternoon. 

Yeah I feel like they offered admission to almost everyone too, and I feel like the two women who interviewed me were really emphasizing what was unique about their program, which I really appreciated. Yes, my fiance and I went in person and got to tour the clinic and surrounding campus. I thought the clinic seemed great, and we got to get a close-up view of everything since it was empty (as ODU was on their spring break). There was a large room where they said all the clinic students hang out and do their clinical work, which was pretty cool. The rooms where you do your clinic work are all fitted with cameras that record you, so you can go back over your recordings and sometimes your clinic advisor can make notes on the video to help you out in the future. The surrounding campus was more city-like than campus-like, which I actually appreciated because you can walk two blocks and be around a bunch of food places that aren't full of undergraduate students. But if you prefer a UVA-like campus environment ODU might not be for you. Hopefully we find out about funding tonight!

59 minutes ago, RMott said:

Yeah I feel like they offered admission to almost everyone too, and I feel like the two women who interviewed me were really emphasizing what was unique about their program, which I really appreciated. Yes, my fiance and I went in person and got to tour the clinic and surrounding campus. I thought the clinic seemed great, and we got to get a close-up view of everything since it was empty (as ODU was on their spring break). There was a large room where they said all the clinic students hang out and do their clinical work, which was pretty cool. The rooms where you do your clinic work are all fitted with cameras that record you, so you can go back over your recordings and sometimes your clinic advisor can make notes on the video to help you out in the future. The surrounding campus was more city-like than campus-like, which I actually appreciated because you can walk two blocks and be around a bunch of food places that aren't full of undergraduate students. But if you prefer a UVA-like campus environment ODU might not be for you. Hopefully we find out about funding tonight!

Thank you so much for all of the information. I wish I could have attended in person but it was too expensive coming from Florida.  I have done a lot of research on Norfolk and it seems like there are some cool neighborhoods close to campus. I am definitely more of a mountain person so Charlottesville was very appealing to me but I didn't apply to UVA because of cost and fear I wouldn't get in.

btw I see you also got waitlisted at Appalachian like me. I can't believe that with your amazing stats. I definitely don't understand this process at times but I have determined North Carolina schools must just not like me, haha. 

If if you don't mind, please message me if you hear from them. It seems like you have a better chance of receiving funding and I don't want to be waiting if they have already awarded everything to other people. 

Best of luck to you! 

Edited by Lunalulu2

11 hours ago, Lunalulu2 said:

Thank you so much for all of the information. I wish I could have attended in person but it was too expensive coming from Florida.  I have done a lot of research on Norfolk and it seems like there are some cool neighborhoods close to campus. I am definitely more of a mountain person so Charlottesville was very appealing to me but I didn't apply to UVA because of cost and fear I wouldn't get in.

btw I see you also got waitlisted at Appalachian like me. I can't believe that with your amazing stats. I definitely don't understand this process at times but I have determined North Carolina schools must just not like me, haha. 

If if you don't mind, please message me if you hear from them. It seems like you have a better chance of receiving funding and I don't want to be waiting if they have already awarded everything to other people. 

Best of luck to you! 

Sorry for taking so long to respond to you, but I wanted to wait until I heard back about funding. I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to attend ODU in person considering you're coming from Florida. I live in Virginia so it wasn't a long drive for me. Yeah, Appalachian is kind of throwing me off since it seems like a lot of people have been waitlisted to Appalachian but got accepted to much better schools. I honestly have no idea what they're thinking, especially since you're stats seem awesome! Also, I did receive an email about funding about an hour ago and wanted to let you know, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Raymer sent out an email letting everyone know. Just in case you haven't seen the email yet I wanted to let you know. Thanks for the good wishes and good luck to you too!