Michigan Ford 2016 MPP

3 minutes ago, jeb!2016 said:

I got in! 1/3rd tuition. They definitely were batching e-mails in order of descending funding amount, which was both comical and stressful since I kept hitting refresh on the forum.

Are they still sending out acceptances this late? I'm starting to sweat! 

7 minutes ago, coasts said:

Gosh, I guess I should let go of my dreams of getting funding from Ford...

There is always student employment. From the Ford School fellowship letter:

Obtaining a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) or Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA) position is a unique opportunity, one which we strongly encourage our students to pursue. These positions provide full tuition, stipend and healthcare coverage, in addition to valuable teaching experience. Such employment will supersede your fellowship offer for the semester you are working as a GSI/GSRA, and the fellowship funds for the semester of your GSI/GSRA position cannot be allocated to another semester; indeed, fellowship funds cannot be rolled over or allocated to another semester for any reason.

Accepted with 50% fellowship. Is everyone getting fellowships? Is anyone expected to pay the sticker price or is it just so that they look as prestigious as the private schools? Berkeley, for instance only charges $18k for out of state students. I haven't received funding at Columbia SIPA or Chicago Harris which is partly why I'm asking. 

Edited by murray

6 minutes ago, murray said:

Accepted with 50% fellowship. Is everyone getting fellowships? Is anyone expected to pay the sticker price or is it just so that they look as prestigious as the private schools?

Also accepted with 50% fellowship - I think most students accepted to the Ford School receive some kind of assistance, but I don't think all do. 

Anyone planning on attending Preview Weekend?

7 minutes ago, murray said:

Accepted with 50% fellowship. Is everyone getting fellowships? Is anyone expected to pay the sticker price or is it just so that they look as prestigious as the private schools? Berkeley, for instance only charges $18k for out of state students. I haven't received funding at Columbia SIPA or Chicago Harris which is partly why I'm asking. 

Don't discount your accomplishment! If you look in past years' results, there are definitely admits who didn't get any money. 

1 minute ago, coasts said:

Don't discount your accomplishment! If you look in past years' results, there are definitely admits who didn't get any money. 

And even if there aren't, there are many applicants who aren't accepted at all. Congrats to all the other admits!

1 minute ago, coasts said:

Thanks you're totally right (there is also no reason to compare oneself to others in this way). I'm actually very excited about it. It feels amazing to have such a great school offer to reimburse you for a flight to their admitted students weekend for example! 

3 minutes ago, DeputyDowner said:

Also accepted with 50% fellowship - I think most students accepted to the Ford School receive some kind of assistance, but I don't think all do. 

Anyone planning on attending Preview Weekend?

Yeah I'm definitely going to try to go. You learn so much about a program from meeting students and professors in person! 

Just now, murray said:

Yeah I'm definitely going to try to go. You learn so much about a program from meeting students and professors in person! 

Nice! Yeah, I've actually been to the Ford School before - to anyone who's never visited UMich, I highly recommend it. Had an amazing summer there back in 2013, and Ann Arbor is a lot of fun.

1 minute ago, DeputyDowner said:

Nice! Yeah, I've actually been to the Ford School before - to anyone who's never visited UMich, I highly recommend it. Had an amazing summer there back in 2013, and Ann Arbor is a lot of fun.

I know who you are, fellow PPIAer! :)

I won't be able to go to Spring Preview weekend because I'm in my best friend's bridal party that weekend. Already regretting my decision.

46 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I know who you are, fellow PPIAer! :)

I won't be able to go to Spring Preview weekend because I'm in my best friend's bridal party that weekend. Already regretting my decision.

HAH, yes you do. I figured it was you.

It's too bad - looks like we're going back to Circus for karaoke. 

Edited by DeputyDowner

Congrats, fellow admits! I'm going to try to go to spring preview, but HKS has theirs the same weekend, so I won't know for sure until that decision is out. But I'm thrilled to know I'm in with some funding at an awesome school! I hope I get to meet you guys!

I'm still waiting for the decision. I guess this means that I didn't get in, or that I got in with no $. It's fine by me as I got accepted to Sanford ($) and SIPA ($$) but it would be nice to finally receive an email...

I guess I'm Expecting a rejection today. Congrats to everyone who is in. This was the only school I applied to for various reasons. 

Edited by MPPKS

45 minutes ago, MPPKS said:

I guess I'm Expecting a rejection today. Congrats to everyone who is in. This was the only school I applied to for various reasons. 

I'm not sure. It looks like they haven't sent out acceptances without funding yet.

Felicidades @RCtheSS@obrien_blue@CaliGab and those who have been accepted so far! Best of luck to those who are still waiting. 

I'll be at the Preview Weekend for Friday only. Sat I'll be at the Dia De La Mujer Conference in Lansing. If ya'll are interested, you should swing by!

I'm so excited!

I just got an email about an hour ago offering me admission but no funding:

The Admissions Committee was extremely impressed with your application however we are unable to offer you fellowship funding at this time. Some fellowship funds may become available later as we continue through the admissions process. To express your interest in additional funding opportunities, please submit this form by Friday, April 8, 2016. Additionally, we invite you to review this Additional Funding Opportunitiesdocument as you consider your options.

Time to do a whole lot of research on the availability of TA-ships and the like...

8 minutes ago, SenNoodles said:

I just got an email about an hour ago offering me admission but no funding:

The Admissions Committee was extremely impressed with your application however we are unable to offer you fellowship funding at this time. Some fellowship funds may become available later as we continue through the admissions process. To express your interest in additional funding opportunities, please submit this form by Friday, April 8, 2016. Additionally, we invite you to review this Additional Funding Opportunitiesdocument as you consider your options.

Time to do a whole lot of research on the availability of TA-ships and the like...

Chances are that as folks with fellowships decline their offers, more funding will become available for others.